• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Ya because on the side of the road at night my wife can tell what the cost is going to be....LOL. She might of called police, I'll have to ask her. Had no problem with insurance.
    It's pretty hard to do less than a grand in damage to a modern car unless all you hit is a fluffy little kitten. :rolleyes:

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Do people eat Black Bear or any bear for that matter?
    yes. i had it once, not sure if it was cooked wrong or what but it was probably the worst thing i have ever eaten
    I have always heard that bear must be cleaned carefully. You gotta get ALL the fat off of it.

I've only had burger that had bacon fat added to it. It was great.

I had it a few years back, courtesy of the DNR Wild Game Cookout at the State Fair. It was done up like regular stew meat, and as a bonafide cityslicker, who'd never eat anything more wild than venison, I was pretty impressed and would definitely eat it again. They also had BBQ beaver that was pretty good too!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    A friend brought some bear to a campout. Chewy. I gave mine to my beagle. She worked on that meat for twenty minutes before she could swallow it. That dog was a real chow hound too.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    A friend brought some bear to a campout. Chewy. I gave mine to my beagle. She worked on that meat for twenty minutes before she could swallow it. That dog was a real chow hound too.
    The meat we had was real chewy too. Four of us tried it, three of them spit it out, i had to actually eat mine because the guy who cooked it wouldnt stop talking to me and i didnt want to hurt his feelings lol

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The meat we had was real chewy today. Four of us tried it, three of them spit it out, i had to actually eat mine because the guy who cooked it wouldnt stop talking to me and i didnt want to hurt his feelings lol
    I slipped it to the dog on the sly and she laid down next to my buddies chair to chew it. Happy dog!

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    A retiree I worked with got his Michigan Bear this fall. They made stew this past weekend and according to what I've read, it was very tasty. Which brings me to say every time I've read of tasty bear it's always been in stew; suspect some of the other flavors help.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Bear has to be cooked well done because of the possibility of trichinosis. If it is not used in stew, sausage, or ground meat, it needs to be really slow cooked to tenderize it. Just like ribs, if you cook them slowly for three hours, the meat will fall off of the bone, but if you grill them quicky on the grill, they will be tough and chewy. But, like horse, with no fat, bear makes for a dry steak - but excellent sausage.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A retiree I worked with got his Michigan Bear this fall. They made stew this past weekend and according to what I've read, it was very tasty. Which brings me to say every time I've read of tasty bear it's always been in stew; suspect some of the other flavors help.

Whiskey helps too

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I understand that's how you would eat it, I just didn't know if people did. Or if it's just a trophy thing. If I killed it, I'd eat it.
    You can eat it. A lot of people like it. I hear it best as a sausage, but people who don’t like game taste always like sausage better. Gotta be careful cooking it tho, it harbors a lot of parasites. If you watch meateater, Steve rinella got trichinosis from black bear.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Bear has to be cooked well done because of the possibility of trichinosis. If it is not used in stew, sausage, or ground meat, it needs to be really slow cooked to tenderize it. Just like ribs, if you cook them slowly for three hours, the meat will fall off of the bone, but if you grill them quicky on the grill, they will be tough and chewy. But, like horse, with no fat, bear makes for a dry steak - but excellent sausage.
    Lol just saw this. Literally beat me to it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Bear meat reportedly has a tendency to taste different depending on what the bear had been eating. Bears that had been gorging themselves on blueberries in Alaska or ag crops in the upper Midwest are typically very tasty while bears living on carrion or frequenting the local dump not so much.

Top Bottom