• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Indiana wintertime is God’s gift as to getting the work done needed indoors to keep your guns in tip top shape. Don’t get me wrong, I shoot throughout the winter as that is what Carhartt’s are for, but sometimes I need to spend time in my shop. Birchwood Casey Birchwood Casey | For Serious Shooters Since 1948 has been with me every step of the way. To earn a place in my collection, my guns must be good shooters as well as look good too.

The first product of BC I ever used was Tru Oil. The glass jar pictured is from the 70’s. And while it has recently been packaged in plastic colorful point of sale splendor, it is still the same formula today. I have used it for complete refinishing to touch up on many wood products. I also finish the inside of my handgun grips and under the pad on the buttstock, and under the grip cap as well. These areas go untreated by most manufacturers as they figure no ones looks under there. I like the extra protection just in case the elements try to interfere with my outdoor adventures.

The second longest product I have always used is Birchwood Casey Wax. Yes, for most of the formulas that this company produces, there are compatible sources on the market. However, I prefer the 3 oz containers as I like to keep fresh bottles on hand as to not have bulky product go bad on me. I apply the gold colored beeswax product on the clean wood and let sit until it mostly dries out. Then I polish with a soft clean cloth. I sometimes have to use a toothbrush ( A trick taught to me by Big Starr) to clean out the dried wax within the checkering. Coming up, I have a story about the color of this product.

Moving along to my bench product supply, I keep the BC Super Blue product on hand for touch up jobs. The pictured steel brad was treated only for 8 seconds. For a deeper blue process, one can steel wool and treat a few more times. I always finish the treated steel with gun oil when done.

Now for cleaning carbon and lead off of my stainless guns, I use the BC treated cloth. Do not use on blued guns. I am not sure how it works with coated or painted gun surfaces. The model 65 was cleaned after a 500 round outing last week. I would still be cleaning it if it were not for this product. I also use a patch of this stuff down the bore as well.

Now BC used to be in Eden Prairie, MN. Interesting that the corporate offices are now in Grand Prairie, TX. They must like prairies. Like everything else, BC was bought up by GSM. GSM Outdoors | Specializing in Innovative Outdoor Products who is owned by Gridiron Capital Group. Home - Gridiron (gridironcapital.com). What difference does this make you ask? Not too much on the actual product however, customer service is lacking in my experience recently.

While in Florida las t year, I purchased a few bottles of BC Wax. As I like to visit old timey gunshops wherever I travel, I make it a point to try to buy something from the proprietor. Well, when I got home and started to open a bottle and noticed it was not yellow. As a matter of fact it looked like whale sperm and had the consistency of cow snot. All three bottles! I tried using it thinking they went to a kindler way of replacing bee secretions. Nope, the stuff was not usable. So being retired and had the time, I tried calling the company. By the way, it is the same company that owns Cold Steel. No response. The recording tells me to check the FAQ’s for answers to my questions. I did not find a FAQ regarding Cow snot. I should point out here that they have had a few of my CS folders since May of this year and of course it is easier to communicate with a teenager without a phone.

Disappointed, I packaged the three bottles of the white crap with a nice letter and paid Priority Mail to ship the unknown substance to TX hoping to enlighten them on the problem and/or perhaps get a response of some sort. Crickets. In frustration I purchased a few more bottles with different lot numbers and am happy to report, no problem. This is one company that I continue to do business with as the product, when made right, works well. I am close to looking for replacements someday, depending on any future problems with this conglomerate. Many will remember, that my reviews are my form of the truth and it saddens me to say that poor customer service is a reality today. I think there should be a reality show showcasing the customer service personnel who bypass and diss your call or email. They could call it “Avoiding with the Stars.”

I am not sure if there ever was a Mr, Mrs , MS, They, Them or etc Casey but the product is better than the corporation deserves. This old codger remembers the day when you could talk to the business owner. Days gone by of visiting old timey gunshops and family owned industry people are a thing of the past. I have a collection of thousands of business cards that are like breadcrumbs of my travels regarding the shooting industry. Some are not answering the phone either, but for different reasons. Today finding good customer service is as rare as an honest politician.

I hope this finds all INGO peeps enjoying the Christmas season. To your health and happiness throughout the year I sip some Old 55 and look forward to Indiana Springtime..

See you on the range,

Trapper
    IMG_7339 (002).jpg
    IMG_7340 (002).jpg
    IMG_7341 (002).jpg
    IMG_7373 (002).jpg
    IMG_7351 (002).jpg
    IMG_7344 (002).jpg
    IMG_7390 (002).jpg
    IMG_7342 (002).jpg
    IMG_7398 (002).jpg
    IMG_7419 (002).jpg