Billions of Brood X cicadas — and their buzzing sound — will soon emerge across Indiana

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Still none at our place, but when I went to pick up the granddaughter near 71st and Sunnyside on the NE side of Indy Saturday, they were thick. Her other grandma showed me two trash bags full that she had raked up from under 2 trees in their yard.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    None on Michigan, further demonstrating that they must be Republicans and don't like Gretchen Goering.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I was just west of Terre Haute on Saturday.

Driving at 90 with windows up along with air and radio on, you could still hear them from within the car.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Last week I saw a weatherman broadcasting from Walkerton that is 10 miles west of me and he was dodging and ducking things flying past him and landing on him. I think the owners were throwing poop at him just to get him off their lawn. I've seen nor heard any.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Still none at our place, but when I went to pick up the granddaughter near 71st and Sunnyside on the NE side of Indy Saturday, they were thick. Her other grandma showed me two trash bags full that she had raked up from under 2 trees in their yard.
    She should have left them under the tree. They provide beneficial nitrogen to the soil. Natures way of fertilizing the trees. It is said that tree growth/ health is stronger 3 years post this event.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Local vet has reported several dogs being sick from eating the shed casings, guess it creates a stronger stomach acid and causes dogs to bleed internally if they eat them they hare hard to digest i guess!!!! One owner thought there dog wouldn't believing the vet it so bad!!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I may have bragged too much about low volume in numbers and sound.

We started seeing them just short of a month ago here. Didn't really notice increasing amounts of bugs, but in hindsight kept seeing what looked to be new holes in the ground?

Fast-forward to the last few days. They are screaming loud and buzzing around all the trees in the yard. Dead and live bugs everywhere you walk. They are readily seen, often several dozen, flying around randomly. They seem somewhat unwieldy, landing everywhere, including on anyone. :nailbite:

The shirtless guy mowing today was a little freaked out with numerous bugs landing on him. Standing on my back porch, I shot several away from landing on me with the water hose.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Still none at the house. But got to experience them when I pulled into a rest area off I70 in Maryland on Sunday. It was a heavily wooded area and the noise was deafening Then when we pulled back out onto I70 it looked like dead leaves were falling off the trees on either side of the road. When the first one splatted all over my windshield, I knew they weren't dead leaves. About a half dozen of them is all it takes to reduce your visibility to near zero. Luckily, it started raining pretty hard and cleaned them off.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They are waning quickly in our neighborhood. You can hear the birds sing again, the noise has dropped of precipitously.

And far less carcasses on the streets, driveway and porch.

Dog just discovered they are tasty. Glad we are on the backside of this. :)

Top Bottom