Big guys (and gals), where do you get your eyeglasses?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's time to get glasses again. I have a very wide face and it is hard to find frames that do not pinch my temples. I have looked at all of the online optical places that pop up in a Google search and have found very little that I like. Are there any more obscure places that might have something?

There was one website I used a few years ago that had a very user-unfriendly format. Pictures of frames were very small and not indexed well, and frames were more utilitarian than high fashion. I just cannot remember the name of the site.

Hit me with some ideas.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Have you tried that Warby Parker app Snap? They've got some kind of virtual try-on feature. I know it wouldn't tell you how they feel, but it may give you an idea if they'd fit or not. I've only seen the commercials, so I don't have any firsthand experience with it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'll check out Warby Parker again, thanks. I know the size I need. It's just hard to find much that I like. So many big heavy plastic frames. Another problem is that I need a prism in my lens, and a lot of places do not do prisms with progressive lenses. Most of the time I end up just buying a frame I like and taking it to Costco or VisionWorks for lenses.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'll check out Warby Parker again, thanks. I know the size I need. It's just hard to find much that I like. So many big heavy plastic frames. Another problem is that I need a prism in my lens, and a lot of places do not do prisms with progressive lenses. Most of the time I end up just buying a frame I like and taking it to Costco or VisionWorks for lenses.
    My wife works for an eye Dr. and she refers people looking for a cheaper option to Payne Glasses quite often. She is pretty certain they do prism with progressive. She says they have different options for returning for various reasons, they charge a little bit for these options. As long as you have a script that isn't out of date they should be able to help you out.

Edit: The wife says you will need your distance and near pd (whatever that is), she says it isn't on most scripts but the place you got your last glasses from may have that info

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My wife works for an eye Dr. and she refers people looking for a cheaper option to Payne Glasses quite often. She is pretty certain they do prism with progressive. She says they have different options for returning for various reasons, they charge a little bit for these options. As long as you have a script that isn't out of date they should be able to help you out.

Edit: The wife says you will need your distance and near pd (whatever that is), she says it isn't on most scripts but the place you got your last glasses from may have that info
    I have ordered from Payne before. They just don't have anything I like right now. :(

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    This is the only contender right now. I prefer brown over black. Basically I need a men's frame that doesn't look too masculine. A metrosexual frame, if you will. :D

1614281679921.png

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    You might not care for the name, but https://fatheadz.com is not just sunglasses. They are located in Indy, too. They didn't really have a showroom, but they did have a wall of frames, and I was able to go in and test a few. If you found something that you like, you would need to get the script filled elsewhere.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You might not care for the name, but https://fatheadz.com is not just sunglasses. They are located in Indy, too. They didn't really have a showroom, but they did have a wall of frames, and I was able to go in and test a few. If you found something that you like, you would need to get the script filled elsewhere.
    You beat me to it! I was going to suggest Fatheadz. I know them through their support of auto racing.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Woohoo! An actual woman's frame that will fit. Thanks, guys. Will definitely check Fatheadz out.

1614290993863.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Woohoo! An actual woman's frame that will fit. Thanks, guys. Will definitely check Fatheadz out.

View attachment 127656
    Too bad they're not 5.56 Snap! (being a gun forum and all) :):

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    LMAO DD.

I remembered the name of the site I referenced in my first post. It was JEM optical, and it appears they are no longer in business. I bet it was because of their crappy website.

Top Bottom