• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So if I am reading that gobeldygook correctly, JAMA says there is no difference between medium and large "calibers" and that they both outperform small calibers significantly so we should outlaw medium and large calibers.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Looks like a gun control study.
    Somebody put a lot of work into it.

Seems to concur with BBI’s research?

.357 Mag seems to be a very effective caliber in every study I have read.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Looks like a gun control study.
    Somebody put a lot of work into it.

Seems to concur with BBI’s research?

.357 Mag seems to be a very effective caliber in every study I have read.

Impossible, given we all know revolvers suck.

.357 mag works really well, but it's tough to get a load that's truly barrier blind. And by tough to get, I mean tough to procure as the technology and the bullet designs are certainly there but due to focus being on other calibers they can be a bitch to actually find and buy. There is so much case volume and so many barrel lengths that it's tougher to buy "the right one" for over, say, 9mm where pretty much every good manufacturer makes a "right" load and one box can feed your subcompact up to your SMG. .357 mag optimized for a 6" barrel will be a flame thrower / sledge hammer combo in a snubby revolver.

All the common duty calibers work pretty much the same. You get them in the right bits, bad guy stops doing bad things. Don't get them in the right bits, results vary. Switches and timers and all that. Many years ago I was an archbishop in the church of the .45. After years of observation and research, I'm caliber agnostic now as long as quality ammo is available. I just want a bullet that will resist skipping off round bone as much as possible, will break a femur (which means it will also do fine against any other bone), and can get through a forearm and still have enough juice to penetrate the chest cavity to the good bits. All the common duty calibers will do that, and most of the duty calibers of the past. .357 magnum's only real downside in this regard is stopping it, some cartridges marked as self defense/duty rounds will simply not stop in a human body if fired from a 4-6" barrel.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    "...flame thrower / sledge hammer combo in a snubby revolver." ,BehindBlueI's
    Sir, You say that like it's a bad thing. I'd carry flash-bangs, if I could get away with it.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I keep a Taurus 650 CIA snubby around as a backup. I keep 125g SJHP .357 Mags in it. I figure that if I miss the perp within the 10 foot circle of occurrence… the fireball will temporarily blind them allowing me time to either escape or use the solid steel snubby as a blunt force object while making grunting sounds like Yoda!!!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I keep a Taurus 650 CIA snubby around as a backup. I keep 125g SJHP .357 Mags in it. I figure that if I miss the perp within the 10 foot circle of occurrence… the fireball will temporarily blind them allowing me time to either escape or use the solid steel snubby as a blunt force object while making grunting sounds like Yoda!!!
    That is why I have wanted one for a long time. If you miss everyone will be too blind and deaf to cause damage, you included unfortunately

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    So if I am reading that gobeldygook correctly, JAMA says there is no difference between medium and large "calibers" and that they both outperform small calibers significantly so we should outlaw medium and large calibers.
    S$r$w that publication and their libtard members. What excrement they publish is beyond belief!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I think the caliber that works best is the one you can proficiently manage recoil with and afford to shoot regularly to maintain your skills. A .44MAG is useless if you can’t put rounds where they need to be in order to stop a fight. Modern bullet construction has largely bridged the gap in the caliber wars, so pick one you like and can afford to shoot often, choose a quality defensive load to stock up on (I recommend Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot), and run with it.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    9mm-Will-Kill-Your-Body-.45-ACP-Will-Kill-Your-Soul.jpg

Of course, i carry 32 ACP so I shouldn't talk

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Looks like 10mm is batting a thousand so far (table 2).
    On these charts, you have to take 10MM with a grain of salt.

With 10MM you have low spec (might as well be 40S&W), and high spec (the original loading).

Still the good thing is, ether seems to work pretty well.

Also that sample size on that study, is way too damn small.

Top Bottom