• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    So are big box stores no longer selling ammo online? I don't see anything posted by any of the big gun guys in Facebook anymore like Mrgunsngear. Cabela's even says not available for online for most things. I haven't seen a single thing in stock online from academy for months even with notifications.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    So are big box stores no longer selling ammo online? I don't see anything posted by any of the big gun guys in Facebook anymore like Mrgunsngear. Cabela's even says not available for online for most things. I haven't seen a single thing in stock online from academy for months even with notifications.

My guess is that for a brick and mortar retailer - if and when they can get ammo, it’s just as easy to set it on a shelf and sell it out in a minute as opposed to selling it online.

Just a WAG though.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    My guess is that for a brick and mortar retailer - if and when they can get ammo, it’s just as easy to set it on a shelf and sell it out in a minute as opposed to selling it online.

Just a WAG though.
    I assumed big box retailers ship online ammo from warehouses and not from the individual stores. I could be completely wrong though, but I was curious if they stopped or I just always miss it.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Well they make more money if they can get you into the store. Not to mention it’s a lot harder to sell a firearm in the store when you can get even one box of ammo with it.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Firearms are just over priced paperweights without ammo. However, you're going to see legislation to ban online ammunition sales within the next year... Long-time Reloaders are going to have a long 4 years as the space gets a super surge of new members.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Prior to March of 2020, you could order firearms, ammunition, and reloading supplies off of the Cabelas website and have it shipped to the store. The way I heard it described to a customer is that orders coming in off of the website receive priority from the distribution center over shipments to the stores. Availability on the website since then has been either nonexistent or spotty at best.

Today a new policy takes effect where Cabelas won't be allowing those kinds of orders to be placed through the website. Availability of items is way too low to justify diverting it away from one of the retail locations that is desperately in need of stock plus is makes sense from a business point of view. A lot of people heading in to a store for firearms/ammunition will purchase additional items while there. I'm surprised it took this long to make the change but people at the management level were probably waiting to see how this all played out. By doing it now and expanding the ammunition purchase limits at the Noblesville location, it is an indicator for me that the shortages will be here for the long haul and not over by end of winter or even later on in 2021.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I was disappointed last week when I called the 1-800 number for Bass Pro and asked them if it was true that they were no longer selling ammo online. The guy that answered was real polite but said that as of now Bass Pro would not sell anymore ammo online. I asked him if that was a permanent decision or just through the ammo shortage and he said that they would re-evaluate the situation whenever the shortage was over but that it was very possible they would never sell ammo online again.
    I don't mind cause I bought 3,000 SP primers today online from Natchez and got 1,000 SP primers last week online from Powder Valley. So for now I'll keep reloading my own and buy components from other sellers than Bass Pro & Cabelas. Nearest BP & Cabela's are 45 minutes away from me and I'm not going to line up outside their stores for an hour before they open hoping to maybe get some ammo like it's some kind of deja vu Black Friday scenario.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    I was disappointed last week when I called the 1-800 number for Bass Pro and asked them if it was true that they were no longer selling ammo online. The guy that answered was real polite but said that as of now Bass Pro would not sell anymore ammo online. I asked him if that was a permanent decision or just through the ammo shortage and he said that they would re-evaluate the situation whenever the shortage was over but that it was very possible they would never sell ammo online again.
    I don't mind cause I bought 3,000 SP primers today online from Natchez and got 1,000 SP primers last week online from Powder Valley. So for now I'll keep reloading my own and buy components from other sellers than Bass Pro & Cabelas. Nearest BP & Cabela's are 45 minutes away from me and I'm not going to line up outside their stores for an hour before they open hoping to maybe get some ammo like it's some kind of deja vu Black Friday scenario.
    Pretty much sucks when the closest one to me is over a hour away. Long drive for probably no ammo.

Top Bottom