Biden to cancel Keystone XL pipeline permit.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Looks like UFO tech disclosure is off the table if the pipeline game is going to be pushed.
    :laugh:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Haven't mastered splitting quotes yet so sorry if this is a little confusing.

On a side note.....my German Shepherd just showed great character......lifted his head off my feet so he could listen to David Allan Coe in Stereo. If that ain't country....

Anyway, if I haven't made it clear, I am not in favor of subsidizing green energy or anything else really. HOWEVER, I understand it better when its done by a state. At the the state's PUC has a say instead of FERC mandating but anyway....

I will leave the analysis of the economics to the folks here that like to argue specifics like that. I am simply saying alternative energy sources are going to displace coal first most likely.

When was the last time the NRC permitted a nuclear plant? I think it was Watts Bar in TVA? Those don't go up every year.

Gas is a unique creature right now because it is so cheap it is undercutting coal and it is much cheaper to interconnect a gas turbine. That's why we are seeing a lot of combined cycle gas turbines built AND seeing old coal plants turned into natural gas fired plants. Noblesville CC is an example of that.

The need for reactive resources that coal plants are being met by synchronous condensers. Since you are in NIPSCO, that's what they converted the old Bailey Generating station into. When people want to talk about power transfer and raise objections like we were discussing last night, thats usually what they are discussing, not really MW output but MVar output. The longer the lines, the more angular stability becomes a factor.

I don't actually know if I see an option to go green on the bill, I just pay it. I am on Duke's system. I get too pissed off about the rider for the Edwardsport IGCC plant that had so many cost overruns. If my bill fluctuates, I may look at it some.

Transmission lines are being beefed up, but not to add new coal. Several 345 kV corridors (3?) have come into service in the last few years to move wind energy from Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, etc this direction. You will always run into NIMBY issues with transmission.
    I never said you were for subsidies, I just said those and the state mandating the power co. buy power from the wind/solar co were the reason for seeing so many pop up.

And I do understand about the nuc plants, people freak out when they hear the dreaded word. Which IMO is a large part of the reason they don't get approved.

I understand about gas being cheaper right now, from my understanding a lot of that has to do with production from oil fracking but not sure.

I thought Bailly was turned into a gas fired peaker plant?

I can understand the NIMBY for those lines though, I wouldn't want one near my house either. But...

And sounds like a good dog.

Look at wind now. It is over Nuclear generation, over Natural Gas Generation and over 1/2 of Coal output. See that little Solar number?

This time next year it will be probably be in the thousands. That won't be Biden's fault. The interconnection queue for these things has a multiyear backlog.

Like it or not its already here.
    Where would it be without the subsidies and such though?

I like the idea, I have no problem with it. I just don't think it's economically feasible without subsidies and forcing the power co to buy it. Heck if my wife would let me cut down a tree, with the current subsidies I'd put in solar right now.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You are an engineer. Applying current day technology to future results often turns out faulty. You just wanna be cantankerous and I get that :)

I could say the similar about the reverse, planning today for future tech often turns out faulty. Weren't we all supposed to have flying cars about now? If they planned for that, how would the roads be? Wait, from the conditions of some of the roads I've seen, I think maybe they did.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I never said you were for subsidies, I just said those and the state mandating the power co. buy power from the wind/solar co were the reason for seeing so many pop up.

And I do understand about the nuc plants, people freak out when they hear the dreaded word. Which IMO is a large part of the reason they don't get approved.

I understand about gas being cheaper right now, from my understanding a lot of that has to do with production from oil fracking but not sure.

I thought Bailly was turned into a gas fired peaker plant?
    No, Bailly was not converted to a gas fired unit.
    They even retired the blackstart unit.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Driving across country and seeing the "NO SOLAR" signs in people's yards and on their fences, anybody familiar with the arguments? I've seen the change.org info, have read a little about plans here and there by Shelby, by Polaski County and such but I'm not familiar with why people are against it.
    Is it going to be a case of going back to the well for rate increases?
    Or perhaps electro-magnetic radiation concerns for people adjacent to where the installations go in?
    Just curious.

Years ago we discussed with a solar energy contractor doing a complete conversion to a house in Texas but in the final breakdown it was a break even proposition, so even with selling power back to the utility, nope. Didn't go that route. Recently mailed all my solar engineering and installations books to a nephew in Arizona where they are now being put to good use.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So it appears several unions regret supporting Biden. What a joke, he told them he was shutting down the pipeline, why the surprise he did what he said? About as bad as members here thinking Biden is not coming after guns like he said he would.

Read the article. Didn't see a single union say they regretted supporting Biden. Didn't like the Keystone decision? Sure.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Read the article. Didn't see a single union say they regretted supporting Biden. Didn't like the Keystone decision? Sure.
    From the article.

The Laborer’s International Union Of North America issued this statement:

“The Biden Administration’s decision to cancel the Keystone XL pipeline permit on day one of his presidency is both insulting and disappointing to the thousands of hard-working LIUNA members who will lose good-paying, middle-class family-supporting jobs,”

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Another from the article.

The United Association Of Union Plumbers and Pipefitters released this statement about Biden canceling the Keystone XL pipeline permit

“In revoking this permit, the Biden Administration has chosen to listen to the voices of fringe activists instead of union members and the American consumer on Day 1.”

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Just because they didn’t explicitly claim “I regret supporting joe Biden” doesn’t mean their words aren’t expressing that opinion. Sounds like they’re not exactly thrilled with what he’s doing

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Now JoeBama has suspended drilling on federal land for 60 days. New Mexico starts to feel his handlers wrath.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So it appears several unions regret supporting Biden. What a joke, he told them he was shutting down the pipeline, why the surprise he did what he said? About as bad as members here thinking Biden is not coming after guns like he said he would.

Denial. It is a terrible thing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom