Biden to cancel Keystone XL pipeline permit.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I will leave the analysis of the economics to the folks here that like to argue specifics like that. I am simply saying alternative energy sources are going to displace coal first most likely.
    Isn't it a lot easier just to say that? I mean. Not like I'm one to talk and all.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The tax credit ended in 2020. It's too early to tell the impact of that. But there are other federal subsidies besides that. States also subsidize their wind farms. It's not at all a fair claim that wind energy is self-sufficient on its own without subsidies and without raising rates. It's a dog turd that we need to get off the lawn.
    Without subsidies there would never have been any windmills built in the USA.

They are too expensive and produce far too little actual electricity. The best way to look at windmills is just like aid to the Ukraine. The money goes there, the Big Guy siphons off a large portion and the media says it's G-R-E-A-T!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Without subsidies there would never have been any windmills built in the USA.

They are too expensive and produce far too little actual electricity. The best way to look at windmills is just like aid to the Ukraine. The money goes there, the Big Guy siphons off a large portion and the media says it's G-R-E-A-T!
    The same can be said for pretty much all coal and nuclear generation when it comes to subsidies.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Saw a report today on MSM that said if Keystone XL pipeline is killed, it will kill 11,000 jobs....
    11,000 is nothing... wait til the 4 years is over and see how many are unemployed. Only losing 11,000 would be a blessing, manufacturing is going to tank, steel mills, energy workers, automotive, etc. The only ones who will make more are big tech from all the people at home surfing the web.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    11,000 is nothing... wait til the 4 years is over and see how many are unemployed. Only losing 11,000 would be a blessing, manufacturing is going to tank, steel mills, energy workers, automotive, etc. The only ones who will make more are big tech from all the people at home surfing the web.
    You forgot all those fast food workers making that sweet, sweet $15/hour!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ok. If you go back through my posts. I said the future is solar, wind,(there are others , waves for example) battery (storage really, underground caverns are Even discussed as possibilities) and DER.

Not solar, wind, and a huge solar plant at the equator!

DER is the future! Discuss!
    Later I can find the cite if you wish, but even SoCal could only produce an estimated 50-55% of its needs via solar if every private and public building that could be used to host photovoltaics in fact was so used, and that for only 5 to 7 hrs per day with generation falling off at the tails

Can't get much more 'distributed' than that. Maybe when we get the hover cars (using Agrav) we can pave the roads with cells (but then the shade thrown by all that traffic will decrease generation)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Later I can find the cite if you wish, but even SoCal could only produce an estimated 50-55% of its needs via solar if every private and public building that could be used to host photovoltaics in fact was so used, and that for only 5 to 7 hrs per day with generation falling off at the tails

Can't get much more 'distributed' than that. Maybe when we get the hover cars (using Agrav) we can pave the roads with cells (but then the shade thrown by all that traffic will decrease generation)
    You are an engineer. Applying current day technology to future results often turns out faulty. You just wanna be cantankerous and I get that :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In the world I believe the number is over 50% I want to say 70% of the places with no electricity, it IS cheaper to build solar than new coal/gas power plants.
    Yes, if you are building initial capability NOW, it might make sense. It is the reason the EU has so much more train-based travel, when they were rebuilding from nothing after WWII the efficiencies made sense. If you were building a phone network now it would certainly not be copper wired

none of that applies to the US

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Let's make sure we are talking same language.

Are you referring to subsidies and credits for industrial wind farms ending in 2020?

I don't care what states do. I don't believe federal is the way to go.

When people talk about subsidies, sometimes they sound like that we got all these coal, gas, and nuclear plants without any.

Not making the claim that wind is self sufficient economically, but what has convinced you of that point?

Do you know the total cost per MW over the life of a wind turbine? I don't

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And the Biden family will top off their bank accounts with PLA and CCP dollars of course

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Now link to all the commercial products available using perovskite technology

I wouldn't advocate building out a network to carry fusion power at this time, either :cool:
    Too busy watching Purdue OSU BB to come out to play.

Top Bottom