Biden to cancel Keystone XL pipeline permit.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Somebody will make money off the 4.00 gas.
    This guy wouldn't complain...

09saudi-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don't you think that's part of the problem? You own a vehicle that holds 24 gallons and, I'm being conservative here, likely gets 10 MPG highway.
    I own a Toyota Prius and I fill my 10 gallon gas tank once a month.
    Now, try and haul/tow with your Prius or your Tesla what those guys were hauling/towing with their work trucks. Good luck with that.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    You are a fool.
    Did I call anyone names here?

When a president can change a couple of regulations that in the reverse took us from being a net consumer to a net producer of oil there is an impact adequate to shift worldwide supply and demand which is the final arbiter of price.
    I don't know why I'm baiting on a 2-sentence response to my post (one of those sentences resorting to calling me a name), but here we go:

The United States is one of the top 5 crude oil producers in the world, becoming #1 as of 2020. Relayed in this NPR interview transcript, we are now also a net exporter of crude oil.

I'm having a tough time understanding your "in the reverse took us from being a net consumer to a net producer of oil" remark. Are you saying that being a net producer is a bad thing? I honestly don't know and would like an expansion upon that thought, please.

There's a lot of really great information in the interview transcript pertaining to this thread and I implore you (and everyone else) to read it.

SHAPIRO: If some external event happened and suddenly the U.S. could not import any oil at all, would the U.S. be able to get by on just domestically produced oil? Is it that we choose not to or that we really can't?

CROFT: Well, what we would do in the case of a really prolonged supply disruption - we would probably release first from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. We have the largest stockpile of emergency crude in the world. But certainly, if you think about a situation where you had the Middle East off the market, that would be a huge problem for the United States.

Now, try and haul/tow with your Prius or your Tesla what those guys were hauling/towing with their work trucks. Good luck with that.
    That's quite the false equivalency you've got right there. My previous point about which vehicle you own being in direct correlation to how much you spend on gasoline stands.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did I call anyone names here?

I don't know why I'm baiting on a 2-sentence response to my post (one of those sentences resorting to calling me a name), but here we go:

The United States is one of the top 5 crude oil producers in the world, becoming #1 as of 2020. Relayed in this NPR interview transcript, we are now also a net exporter of crude oil.

I'm having a tough time understanding your "in the reverse took us from being a net consumer to a net producer of oil" remark. Are you saying that being a net producer is a bad thing? I honestly don't know and would like an expansion upon that thought, please.

There's a lot of really great information in the interview transcript pertaining to this thread and I implore you (and everyone else) to read it.

That's quite the false equivalency you've got right there. My previous point about which vehicle you own being in direct correlation to how much you spend on gasoline stands.
    Troll much?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There sure is a lot of fearmongering in this thread.

Taken from an excellent How Stuff Works article on the matter:

Those resources are finite. When they quadruple in price, it's not because of a singular troubled pipeline (from its very inception) has been denied a permit. The writing has been on the wall for a long time: we need renewable resources to supplement, then replace, the non-renewable resources of the world.

BP Oil, one of the largest oil producers in the world, is slashing oil and gas output and investing heavily in renewable energy source ventures. These unfathomably big corporations get it and taking the necessary steps.

426,720 barrels of oil have already leaked from the pipeline. The pipeline has been controversial for many many reasons, one being how it runs over several major freshwater supplies. Maybe here in Indiana you may not be concerned about that, but if I were in Nebraska I sure as hell would be.

Though I certainly remember the Kalamazoo, Michigan spill which happened only 120 miles from me. Which, bear in mind, was one of the largest inland oil spills in the United States and took 5 years to clean up.

Don't you think that's part of the problem? You own a vehicle that holds 24 gallons and, I'm being conservative here, likely gets 10 MPG highway. A Tesla costs as much as that truck did new, maybe even less, and will have you paying only for the electricity it costs to charge it. The cost of electricity is vastly cheaper than the price of oil. And, as more wind and solar farms are erected in our State, than that cost of electricity will certainly stay low.

I own a Toyota Prius and I fill my 10 gallon gas tank once a month. By the time I run this car to the ground, I hope fully electric cars will be available from all the major car manufacturers and as easily affordable as my Prius was.

That's silly to think it's some conspiracy.

If we were to draw out a curve of renewable energy resource cost, the front part of the curve is going to be high, then nosedive. Why? Implementation. The infrastructure needs to be built first, which requires an upfront cost. There is no such variable with petroleum right now: the infrastructure already exists.

You appear to bring all the tenets of the leftist mindset to the table. You are telling us that we should all be happy to use what you decide we need. You are signally incapable of grasping that this thread is not fear mongering but rather working from the reasonable perspective that certain actions on Biden's part will yield the same results we saw when Obama did the same things in the same way.

You have no understanding of how or why we do things or you wouldn't made patently stupid assertions like presuming that a contractor could run his business with a Tesla pseudo-truck. I an glad you are happy with your Prius. Don't presume to tell the rest of us what we do or do not need.

Are you also going to presume to tell us which guns we do or do not "need"?

You apparently think that anyone not on board with the "green new deal" supports trashing the place. Where do you suppose the energy comes from being converted at the power plants. I'll give you a clue. The law of conservation of energy has not been repealed.

Obama was pretty clear in his effort to make affordable energy unaffordable as demonstrated by his telling us we were going to have to learn to make sacrifices in our comfort that he sure as hell wasn't going to make himself.

In the end if there is merit the free market will find it. As for your example of BP, how much of this comes from their compensation for the "graciousness" they were shown by the wolves.gov with their massive Gulf oil spill? I am afraid you have chosen a tainted example.

My final question: Did you get booted from Mother Jones for buying a gun?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Those resources are finite. When they quadruple in price, it's not because of a singular troubled pipeline (from its very inception) has been denied a permit. The writing has been on the wall for a long time: we need renewable resources to supplement, then replace, the non-renewable resources of the world.

BP Oil, one of the largest oil producers in the world, is slashing oil and gas output and investing heavily in renewable energy source ventures. These unfathomably big corporations get it and taking the necessary steps.

426,720 barrels of oil have already leaked from the pipeline. The pipeline has been controversial for many many reasons, one being how it runs over several major freshwater supplies. Maybe here in Indiana you may not be concerned about that, but if I were in Nebraska I sure as hell would be.

Though I certainly remember the Kalamazoo, Michigan spill which happened only 120 miles from me. Which, bear in mind, was one of the largest inland oil spills in the United States and took 5 years to clean up.

Don't you think that's part of the problem? You own a vehicle that holds 24 gallons and, I'm being conservative here, likely gets 10 MPG highway. A Tesla costs as much as that truck did new, maybe even less, and will have you paying only for the electricity it costs to charge it. The cost of electricity is vastly cheaper than the price of oil. And, as more wind and solar farms are erected in our State, than that cost of electricity will certainly stay low.

I own a Toyota Prius and I fill my 10 gallon gas tank once a month. By the time I run this car to the ground, I hope fully electric cars will be available from all the major car manufacturers and as easily affordable as my Prius was.

If we were to draw out a curve of renewable energy resource cost, the front part of the curve is going to be high, then nosedive. Why? Implementation. The infrastructure needs to be built first, which requires an upfront cost. There is no such variable with petroleum right now: the infrastructure already exists.

Another one outed...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    To be fair, a large number of pickup truck drivers use them towing/hauling about as much as your average Jeep driving soccer mom goes off roading.

I have a friend that always drives a shiny new GMC. His current ride is a crew cab, short bed Denali. It's a beautiful truck.

Like many, he decided to do some home improvement projects while "working from home" during our springtime lockdown. He asked to borrow my truck, a not so beautiful, slightly temperamental 1998 model, to pick up some building materials.

I was like, uh... Is your brand new truck in the shop or something? He was like, of course not. So I'm like, uh... Why not maybe use your truck?

He was kinda indignant and somewhat offended at the implication that his "truck" should be used for such a task.

I told him no.

He ended up renting a truck at Menards. :facepalm:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

You're talking out both sides of your mouth. You are criticizing and apparently supporting Biden"s position on energy. Yes, those things you stated above regarding out 2020 oil production are true. Following the position you are arguing, they will cease to be true.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Lush is a leftist.

Never claimed to not be

So, he's not really "outed".
    And because he disagrees, doesn't make him a "troll".
    All true. That said, I, for one, am just not on the mood for having some self-righteous leftist telling us we are all wrong. He can go back to Mother Jones, or Huffington, or wherever he came from.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You're talking out both sides of your mouth. You are criticizing and apparently supporting Biden"s position on energy. Yes, those things you stated above regarding out 2020 oil production are true. Following the position you are arguing, they will cease to be true.

Just another idiot that doesn't understand that the power for the Prius comes from burning coal because NO RENEWABLE is reliable enough to charge the car. While the pollution is different it is a reasonable argument that over a 250,000 mile life span the Prius is more damaging to the earth than a big SUV. The batteries use rare earth metals that are toxic to life forms and the batteries typically are good for 50,000 miles. The pollution created building them and disposing of them is tremendous.

Why do you think Musk and others are building rockets and heading to space? Did you know this planet has no native gold, silver, or rare earth metals humans can obtain? The native metals are in the molten core. The metals on this planet have gotten here from asteroids, meteors, etc. hitting the surface over millions of years. The goal is to get to the asteroid belt to mine the metals they need. Whoever does that first will be the richest man exponentially over all others...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They got what they voted for and will be the loudest to wine.
    I won’t. I disagree with the pipeline. Biden’s first day, when he rolls back all those Trump executive orders, will justify me voting for him.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    All true. That said, I, for one, am just not on the mood for having some self-righteous leftist telling us we are all wrong. He can go back to Mother Jones, or Huffington, or wherever he came from.
    That your reason for wanting him ousted? Because he challenges your opinion? Bro you gotta give us something else besides that. Has he insulted any personally? Is he from Kentucky? Does he not own guns? I’m just trying to figure out why you want him gone, other than the fact you disagree with what he says.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

OK you got my hair up now.
    My truck gets 17MPG Hiway and avges 14/15 depending.
    I make my living from this truck. We work it. I bought it near new to pull my race car trailer. Now we haul HVAC squip. and home improvement materials/fire wood/scrap/etc and so on.
    **** a Tesla. What can you haul in a Tesla.....?????

Man this line of thinking fires me up.

Congrates on you driving a High top tennis shoe. No thanks.
    And how far.....?????

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Just another idiot that doesn't understand that the power for the Prius comes from burning coal because NO RENEWABLE is reliable enough to charge the car. While the pollution is different it is a reasonable argument that over a 250,000 mile life span the Prius is more damaging to the earth than a big SUV. The batteries use rare earth metals that are toxic to life forms and the batteries typically are good for 50,000 miles. The pollution created building them and disposing of them is tremendous.

Why do you think Musk and others are building rockets and heading to space? Did you know this planet has no native gold, silver, or rare earth metals humans can obtain? The native metals are in the molten core. The metals on this planet have gotten here from asteroids, meteors, etc. hitting the surface over millions of years. The goal is to get to the asteroid belt to mine the metals they need. Whoever does that first will be the richest man exponentially over all others...
    I have never heard that take on silver and gold. You figure all the deep gold and silver veins were deposited by impacts?

I am not scoffing at the idea, just never heard the theory before.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That your reason for wanting him ousted? Because he challenges your opinion? Bro you gotta give us something else besides that. Has he insulted any personally? Is he from Kentucky? Does he not own guns? I’m just trying to figure out why you want him gone, other than the fact you disagree with what he says.
    That is my personal opinion, not a request to have him banned.

Why do you think I should have indefinite patience with abject stupidity?

While I am at it, he may not be keeping that gun he just bought very long given that the election went your way.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

You happen to be out of touch with the reason that you are blessed with electricity that is "vastly cheaper". If you think that will remain when coal, oil and natural gas are removed from the equation, then you are wildly mistaken. Wind and Solar output and control dont even come close to matching Nuclear, Coal, and Natural gas power plants. When those fossil fuels are removed from the equation the grid is going to get very sketchy and costly, what do you think it does to the grid when everyone decides its time to recharge those Teslas? Renewable energy doesn't have the storage or control for that kind of demand. Take a look at Commiefornia, wont it be nice when the government has to schedule your electric usage for you, and it cost 3 times more?

Just my opinion, gained from a career in electric production. :twocents:

Also the cost of your Tesla will definitely increase when the steel production is affected, you know because of coal.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom