• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis

Nominated atf director candidate, some ghost gun bs, including restating existing laws (ffl must serialize homemade firearms), but worst is split frame receivers now must be serialized? Wtf?

EDIT: due to lack of specifics, I probably misinterpreted it. Just regular ignoring tons of comments against the 5/21 proposed rule: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...me-or-receiver-and-identification-of-firearms

INCLUDING a turnkey registry by removing the ability of FFLs to purge 4473 records after 20 years

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville

Nominated atf director candidate, some ghost gun bs, including restating existing laws (ffl must serialize homemade firearms), but worst is split frame receivers now must be serialized? Wtf?
    They didn't "clarify" what they were doing with the "split receiver" s/n. Very vague which is troubling.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    So, in layman's terms, it looks like the upshot of these news rules is:
    • 80% lowers, frames, receivers, etc, are now considered firearms
    • Upper receivers are possibly now considered firearms (subject to the ATF's whim)
    • You can still make homemade firearms (and they don't need to be serialized as long as you keep them for yourself) so long as you make them from parts that the ATF doesn't consider "close enough" to a receiver/frame to be considered a firearm.
    • FFL's have to serialized homemade guns that they buy before re-selling them (WHAT!? I thought this was already the case. Heck, I thought they had to serialize it before buying it, and that the only legal options for your homemade gun were keep it till you die, destroy it, or have an FFL serialize it then sell it.)
    • FFL's can never destroy their records, now, so the government registry of guns you purchase is officially permanent.
    Anybody else have a different reading of this, or is that the gist of it?

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don’t leave out that FFLs now cannot destroy their records after 20 years. They must be keeps indefinitely until no longer in business then handed over to ATF.

The slow, steady erosion of our freedoms continues. Support your gun rights organizations folks!

**** Joe Biden and everyone who voted for him.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I don't remember the year but IIRC before a certain date firearms did not have to have a serial number. I don't see this being addressed in what I am reading here. It would be a terrible thing to have to serialize a classic and valuable firearm for this crap ruling.
    Illinois just passed a law doing the same thing, through the house and senate now waiting fat boy's signature. Jim.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Haven't read the new rules yet. Did they grandfather in existing uppers that are not serialized? Or are they making an ex post facto law as they did with already owned bump stocks?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't remember the year but IIRC before a certain date firearms did not have to have a serial number. I don't see this being addressed in what I am reading here. It would be a terrible thing to have to serialize a classic and valuable firearm for this crap ruling.
    Illinois just passed a law doing the same thing, through the house and senate now waiting fat boy's signature. Jim.
    It was prior to 1968.

Reactions: Leo

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    If the republicans win everything back, will they have the wherewithal to undo all of this crap? I’m not holding my breath.
    The spineless ****ers didn't do ANYTHING for us when they had the whole ****ing executive branch. These c***suckers refuse to do the ****ing job they were hired to do. They will say anything and posture but when it comes time, they will **** the people that got them there!
    Wish there was a viable 3rd party. :xmad:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Haven't read the new rules yet. Did they grandfather in existing uppers that are not serialized? Or are they making an ex post facto law as they did with already owned bump stocks?
    They have NOT decided what they are going to do about uppers yet. The sky is not falling....... yet

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Don’t leave out that FFLs now cannot destroy their records after 20 years. They must be keeps indefinitely until no longer in business then handed over to ATF.

The slow, steady erosion of our freedoms continues. Support your gun rights organizations folks!

**** Joe Biden and everyone who voted for him.
    Do we have any active :ingo: users left that voted for this or have they all slithered away???

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    They have NOT decided what they are going to do about uppers yet. The sky is not falling....... yet
    They actually addressed this in the proposed rule. At least for now, they're not changing their determination as to which part of a split receiver/modular firearm is the serialized part, only updating their definition of "receiver" to be more expansive so that it ensures that at least one part of the gun is a receiver. they cited a handful of court cases where they lost because the judge ruled that NO part of an AR15 met their definition of a receiver, therefore the person being charged with illegal manufacturing and distribution of firearms hadn't committed a crime because there were no firearms. The ATF needs this one in order to make their Ghost Gun nonsense stick, because it can't be a precursor to a firearm if the end product is also not a firearm. It's a really tortured reading of everything, but as of today (obviously subject to the changing whims of our new unelected aristocracy) upper receivers would not be considered firearms and subject to serialization.

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    They actually addressed this in the proposed rule. At least for now, they're not changing their determination as to which part of a split receiver/modular firearm is the serialized part, only updating their definition of "receiver" to be more expansive so that it ensures that at least one part of the gun is a receiver. they cited a handful of court cases where they lost because the judge ruled that NO part of an AR15 met their definition of a receiver, therefore the person being charged with illegal manufacturing and distribution of firearms hadn't committed a crime because there were no firearms. The ATF needs this one in order to make their Ghost Gun nonsense stick, because it can't be a precursor to a firearm if the end product is also not a firearm. It's a really tortured reading of everything, but as of today (obviously subject to the changing whims of our new unelected aristocracy) upper receivers would not be considered firearms and subject to serialization.
    From: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...me-or-receiver-and-identification-of-firearms, which covers the proposed changes to "ghost guns", split frame receivers, and silencers:

"Application of the rule, as proposed, would not alter these prior ATF classifications."

Top Bottom