• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have done a ton of research on this and think I know what I want to do, but would like others who have addressed this problem to chime in before I spend $$$.

I actually have a tri-focal prescription. The obvious problem is that if I focus on the front sight (my middle prescription), then I can't see the target well. If I focus on the target (I can do this with no glasses or use my far prescription), I can't see the front sight well. Thus, a dilemma.

My proposed solutions (your wisdom is welcome):
    1. .22 rifle - a scope
    2. Hi-point 995 9mm rifle - a reflex reddot
    3. 9mm pistol - I'm not sure on this one, there is a lot of controversy over a laser, but that seems to be the way to go.

You might also address the problem of not always wearing my glasses (I don't need them to walk around or drive or sleep LOL) ... so what is the best way to solve that if I have to grab a pistol or 995 quickly. I know, a shot gun is probably the better choice for HD, but I don't have one right now. I do have pretty good vision past about ten feet without glasses.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I use transition lense bifocals and you really get a trifocal viewing plane just by looking through the glasses where they transition. This has allowed me to see the front sight and target, but it did take me awhile to find the right spot on my lenses. Also, talk to your eye doc and tell'm your hobby. A lot of guys get a pair of glasses madw juat for shooting.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You're supposed to focus on the front sight, not the target. Put the front sight in the middle of the fuzzy blob that is the target. You'll do fine.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have done a ton of research on this and think I know what I want to do, but would like others who have addressed this problem to chime in before I spend $$$.

I actually have a tri-focal prescription. The obvious problem is that if I focus on the front sight (my middle prescription), then I can't see the target well. If I focus on the target (I can do this with no glasses or use my far prescription), I can't see the front sight well. Thus, a dilemma.

My proposed solutions (your wisdom is welcome):
    1. .22 rifle - a scope
    2. Hi-point 995 9mm rifle - a reflex reddot
    3. 9mm pistol - I'm not sure on this one, there is a lot of controversy over a laser, but that seems to be the way to go.

You might also address the problem of not always wearing my glasses (I don't need them to walk around or drive or sleep LOL) ... so what is the best way to solve that if I have to grab a pistol or 995 quickly. I know, a shot gun is probably the better choice for HD, but I don't have one right now. I do have pretty good vision past about ten feet without glasses.

I wear trifocals, too, and focus on the front site, using the mid-range "focal". Granted, the target is a bit blurry but I guess that's the way it's supposed to be. No one can perfectly focus on two different distances at the same time.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Get a Merit Optical Attachemnt for your glasses then both sights and the target will all be in focus. Been using one for 26 years. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=978528
    steve_with_oa.jpg

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    With a laser I can just wear my bifocals and not think about it. At 25 yards the dot is a little hard to pick out, but at closer ranges I can just focus on the target.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    But what if you cant even see the "fuzzy blob"?

That was my thought too. When wearing my glasses that define the front sight, at 25 yards the target is "there" but blobby, but at 50 yards, I can't discern the target at all.

Get a Merit Optical Attachemnt for your glasses then both sights and the target will all be in focus. Been using one for 26 years. :yesway:

Thanks for this heads-up; it looks nice. I did the "fist-tunnel" test that they suggest to change depth-of-field and it worked. I may look around to see if I have something I can jeery-rig as a more formal test before buying - or just pull the buy-trigger.

With a laser I can just wear my bifocals and not think about it. At 25 yards the dot is a little hard to pick out, but at closer ranges I can just focus on the target.

This is what I'm thinking too. Some of the negativity toward lasers seems to be that they are a crutch ... well, I need a crutch :): Maybe I can attend an event where someone has a laser I can take a look at before buying.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it. If anyone else has relevant experience, please chime in.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've been using line less gradient focus lenses for several years. They made a dramatic improvement in my shooting by forcing me to focus on the front sight and letting the rear sight and target to go out of focus a little. Might not work for everyone but it did the job for me.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    But what if you cant even see the "fuzzy blob"?
    Exactly my point I would pretty much be screwed without my glasses at 3ft :):

Now I would say if its for HD and you have a pistol you can have it drilled for a red dot or some even have scope mounts that go on the bottom rails or atleast glocks have one.

also for a pistol there these http://www.suresight.com/
    i havent tried them yet but will be on my pistol

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would go see Evans/Piggott & Finney and have them work with you. I know Evans has worked with alot of people. I went to Piggott and she helped alot. They learned a couple of tricks over the years. Jim

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I wear trifocals. I take them off when shooting. I always use a scope and it is adjusted to make up for my eyes. I do shoot often and have to problem.

Top Bottom