• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've always been a little confused on the best way to ship ammo. I was at a UPS store recently and the guy behind the counter said they no longer ship ammo and it had to go through the FFL. The same guy also got yacking and I found out he washed out of basic training, so I'm not 100% confident this guy was squared away and knew what he was talking about.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    As stated above the UPS stores don't ship ammo. Has to be taken to an actual UPS hub location.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    How would a shipper know? I guess if something bad happens and it wasn't the nuts and bolts claimed there'd be trouble and shipping insurance wouldn't pay. But short of mishaps I can't see how they enforce their no-ship policy.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I use flat rate box sizes. Just make sure you print out your ORMD diamond and tape it on the box.
    As other mentioned you have to take it to a ups hub, not a store.

Reactions: Leo

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Like said, gotta have that ORMD label and go to a hub (not a “UPS Store”).

It can also be picked up, but you have to have a account with more hazmat credentials than you’re likely willing to deal with.

UPS “requires” a new box, but if you‘re not packing in an Amazon or booze box, you should be fine. Any loose ammo should be packed tight so it doesn’t rattle around.

Other option is FedEx. Check their site for their policy, but you can arrange a pickup with them from your home, they were actually easier than UPS, but still a bigger PITA than it should be.

I just shipped a bunch from AZ, we were struggling with shipping and running out of time, so we paid an auctioneer out there about $15 a box to pack, plus shipping cost. A kind conversation with your favorite FFL may prove fruitful.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Like said, gotta have that ORMD label and go to a hub (not a “UPS Store”).

It can also be picked up, but you have to have a account with more hazmat credentials than you’re likely willing to deal with.

UPS “requires” a new box, but if you‘re not packing in an Amazon or booze box, you should be fine. Any loose ammo should be packed tight so it doesn’t rattle around.

Other option is FedEx. Check their site for their policy, but you can arrange a pickup with them from your home, they were actually easier than UPS, but still a bigger PITA than it should be.

I just shipped a bunch from AZ, we were struggling with shipping and running out of time, so we paid an auctioneer out there about $15 a box to pack, plus shipping cost. A kind conversation with your favorite FFL may prove fruitful.
    Will ups print off the ormd label there for you or do you have to have all that on the package before bringing it in?

Found this
    Effective January 1, 2021 the ORM-D classification will be obsolete per D.O.T. HM-215K

Just making it more confusing to me.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    What, where, why, how come it's more confusing for you?

Simply put the DOT eliminated the ORM-D classification and if one ships ammo now in compliance with the link shown in post #8 of this thread, they would currently use a "Limited Quantity" diamond label instead. While some UPS Customer Service Counters may be able to provide you with that label, the image can also be sourced on the innerwebz, printed at home and affixed with glue to the parcel.

Reactions: D K

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    What, where, why, how come it's more confusing for you?

Simply put the DOT eliminated the ORM-D classification and if one ships ammo now in compliance with the link shown in post #8 of this thread, they would currently use a "Limited Quantity" diamond label instead. While some UPS Customer Service Counters may be able to provide you with that label, the image can also be sourced on the innerwebz, printed at home and affixed with glue to the parcel.
    Like the feed said, you want the diamond, indeed it did replace the label that has the ORM-D text on it. Bad form on my part, we just ended up calling the diamond the same thing.

Print 2, 4inx4in, stick em on the sides, ship it.

You probably saw the 66lb limit.

FWIW, that auction that shipped ammo for me used the "old" label and didn't have any issues.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Know a guy that did some ammo shipping from his 'stock' last winter. He had a shipstation account and UPS picked it up at his front door. Just make sure you have the ORMD symbol on your label. He wasn't required to have any hazmat for ammo. Primers definitely need hazmat fee and paperwork. YMMV

Hoosierdaddy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2015
    Camby
    I set up a UpS account that cost me nothing and they will pick it up from my house. Use the limited quantity label and they also offer smart rate shipping that’s similar to flat rate. I shipped a whole case of rifle ammo to Texas for $14

Scenarfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2018
    Hamilton County
    I have used both UPS and FedEx, prefer FedEx based upon past experience. Online account lets me print labels, schedule a pickup off my front porch, and pay online.
    Limited quantity diamond labels and I click on the box for limited quantity.

Top Bottom