• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Seems like there people new to carry on INGO these days so I thought a thread on best practices might be helpful. I could have sworn this article was posted recently, but for the life of me I can't find it, so here it is. (Apologies if I duped it.)

Each point could easily be it's own thread (and it's own class); a good outline for further study.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The entire article is opinion, the author's opinion on what is important. You just take issue with one of the 12 opinions listed.

Yep, agreed, but the other items were objective in that they're solid advice. 11 just seemed like unnecessary opinion to me. Eh, to each their own.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If your choice is to conceal rather than open carry the #11 hint I found helpful early on was “stop touching your gun”. If you have a quality holster you can strap up in the morning and should not need to obsessively touch your gun throughout the day to make sure it is still there or readjust it because of a poor quality belt.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Aside for number 11 the article is very informative. 11 is purely subjective and doesn't belong on the list. Give me facts, not opinions.
    Apache Solutions is out of the Carolinas and does several classes Gunset Training in the Dayton Ohio area aka Scott Cronin. Scott is a Dave Spaulding Handgun Combatives Instructor and would not have Apache if they were not a relevant and vetted Training course.

That said pretty sure #11 was referring to running around small town Indiana. However in certain areas I’ll say #11 is a valid point.

My facts are from interviewing and interacting with criminals. I delt with inner city gang bangers from all over the country for 20 plus years. Didn’t matter if Chicago area BGD’s VL or Latin Kings or East and West Coast Bloods and Crips AB’s Mex Maf and Sureno’s Cartel members to DC Crews or Dirty South. They all have stated they look for Vehicles and Gun Apparel clad folks. These are the same criminals that are bold enough to break into police Vehicles so your Silverado with the Punisher emblem tells them everything they need to know.

Like Open carrying when you advertise most folks don’t realize how easy it is to get their gun taken and most average concealed carriers can’t fight well enough especially against someone that’s been fighting for real since they were 9 and the fact they’ve caught if guard and can’t believe that is happening to them!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Apache Solutions is out of the Carolinas and does several classes Gunset Training in the Dayton Ohio area aka Scott Cronin. Scott is a Dave Spaulding Handgun Combatives Instructor and would not have Apache if they were not a relevant and vetted Training course.

That said pretty sure #11 was referring to running around small town Indiana. However in certain areas I’ll say #11 is a valid point.

My facts are from interviewing and interacting with criminals. I delt with inner city gang bangers from all over the country for 20 plus years. Didn’t matter if Chicago area BGD’s VL or Latin Kings or East and West Coast Bloods and Crips AB’s Mex Maf and Sureno’s Cartel members to DC Crews or Dirty South. They all have stated they look for Vehicles and Gun Apparel clad folks. These are the same criminals that are bold enough to break into police Vehicles so your Silverado with the Punisher emblem tells them everything they need to know.

Like Open carrying when you advertise most folks don’t realize how easy it is to get their gun taken and most average concealed carriers can’t fight well enough especially against someone that’s been fighting for real since they were 9 and the fact they’ve caught if guard and can’t believe that is happening to them!

Agree that time and place are important. Also if you are going to open carry, doing so in a proper retention holster is important. I CC most of the time myself, but see OC as a viable choice when done correctly.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Open carry can still be concealed carry if your apparel is planned in advance. This time of year is an excellent time to open carry. IMO

I consider that situational carry... ;)

I always carry OWB. Normally it's under a extra large T-shirt, but in this weather it's under a heavy sweatshirt, or jacket that stays unzipped. Only becomes OC if I'm at a restaurant or something for an extended time and remove my cover garment.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I consider that situational carry... ;)

I always carry OWB. Normally it's under a extra large T-shirt, but in this weather it's under a heavy sweatshirt, or jacket that stays unzipped. Only becomes OC if I'm at a restaurant or something for an extended time and remove my cover garment.
    This might get more attention than just open carrying. No offense to anyone intended.
    1673192976679.png

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I read the customer who shoot the robber was not charged. Since it appears he shot him from the back, wonder how that would play out in Indiana?
    It depends.

If someone has a gun to someones head, why would shooting them in the back make a difference?
    Just an example, this guy wasn't holding a gun to someone's head.
    But he was waving it around, and threatening. He wasn't wanting them to graciously donate money to him while he was showing off his new gun.
    But, to a jury, I'm sure it will be considered. And I'd hope a defense lawyer/expert testimony could demonstrate the principle.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Can't say I disagree with much there. I will admit to failing on #3 often. It's not that I don't know it is a good thing to do, I just don't do it. I have started carrying pepper spray at church as it falls in line with what my responsibilities might be.

Top Bottom