Best Non-FFL items you buy at the show.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Oh for the glory days of the 1500. My first was March 1987.I had just gotten out of the Army 6 mos earlier. I had never been to such a magical place. Blue Sky M1 Garands and M1 carbines stacked everywhere. Cosmoline covered SKS's by the crates. Full length and paratrooper. The ONLY non-firearm merchandise then that I recall was the candy/nut vendors which mixed the smell of candy with cosmoline in the building. My buddy and I took the wives and they went to the malls while we went to the 1500. Shopped at the 1500 all day Saturday took the wives out to eat that night. Stayed at a hotel in Indy and the next day(Sunday) the girls went back to the malls and he and I went back to the 1500 for the day. Stayed until they closed. Yes... back then the 1500 was that good you could spend two days at it and see different firearms and related items. NO FLEA-MARKET STUFF. Man, now I sound like one of those grumpy old ba$tards. LOL!!! Boy those were good times I thought would last forever. Thing is I barley had a pot to pi$$ in back then just getting out of the Army with a wife and little baby to support, but it was great to look and great memories.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I sell at the 1500 and I've had a store in a mall. Shows do better when they cater to a variety of customers. For every "I only buy Smith & Wesson and Case, and don't regard anything else as relevant," there's a dozen people who do like multiple products.

Carry purses are purses, and are gun related. Jewelry made from cartridge cases is gun related. That gives women who are not much into guns something to possibly be interested in, so those guys can also shop. (My wife loves guns, so that's not an issue. And of course, if you're not married or involved, that may not be an issue.) Targets are gun related. Engraving is gun related. Books are gun or weapon related. People who use guns often hunt or camp, and jerky, freeze dried food, flashlights, and shelter are related.

Even most gun stores now sell a lot more than just guns. At least, the ones that stay in business.

There are people on this forum who refuse to shop at my booth because I sell stuff made in China. If they were to buy enough made in US stuff, without complaining it's "Cheaper on the internet," to cover what I earn from the Chinese stuff, I'd stop selling it. But they don't want to buy it. They just want to remind me it's "cheaper on the internet" through some company that stocks 10,000 of the item rather than a dozen. Of course it is. I'm also right there, have decades of experience, and can even give you a detailed breakdown of alloys and production process, and an easy refund/return if there's a problem, since I'm local.

As far as the nuts, jerky, etc: Besides camping, it's nice to have some snack food that is quality and not overpriced garbage or from the fairgrounds concessionaire (but I repeat myself).

There are strict firearm-only shows. I've been to a couple. Attendance is in the dozens. Sales are almost nonexistent. There are not enough variety of guns and not enough actual buyers to make it worthwhile. But by all means start another. There are plenty of venues that will take your money.

If a product doesn't interest you, don't buy it. A lot of those oddball dealers do a half dozen shows and disappear. We've even lost some long time AR accessory and magazine dealers because of "cheaper on the internet," unless you're looking for mags for say, an Astra 400.

And of course, gun shows are an opportunity to organize for 2A matters, in person.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Oh, yes, and batons and such are of interest to LE and security, who are large numbers of the attendees. I sell bulk lots to one department.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I don't know if they still do it now, but years ago in San Antonio they used to do a "combination" show. One ticket got you in to both venues. On one side they had the latest in home decorating, cookware, valances, automatic blinds, paint, RV's, and all the interior decorators had a booth. On the other side they had the gun show. You could buy a one day or a three day ticket. It was a major hit, and easy to send the wife to go to her side while I perused the guns on the other side. And we could meet up at the back of the building to buy a beer or get some food at the many food vendors at the back of the building.

bman1221

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    REELSVILLE
    Went to show yesterday lines like I haven't seen since Obama years, couple hundred yards at times. Held in a the big hall. Nice wider aisles and table separation. There were quite a few guns and ammo at high prices but available.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I don't know if they still do it now, but years ago in San Antonio they used to do a "combination" show. One ticket got you in to both venues. On one side they had the latest in home decorating, cookware, valances, automatic blinds, paint, RV's, and all the interior decorators had a booth. On the other side they had the gun show. You could buy a one day or a three day ticket. It was a major hit, and easy to send the wife to go to her side while I perused the guns on the other side. And we could meet up at the back of the building to buy a beer or get some food at the many food vendors at the back of the building.
    Excellent idea....I'd even like to see an outdoor venue. With food trucks

Top Bottom