• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I vote as well for .357 and 30-30, have both, love both, successfully taken plenty deer with both.

Having said all that...30-30 ammo is much more scarce/expensive than .357 these days.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    By fun, I'm assuming you're talking about a range toy, for basic target plinking, no practical purpose.

I own a number of Marlin leverguns, pretty much have one in every common caliber exept .35 Remington. My best shooting one is my Remington-made Marlin 1894C in .45 Colt. It will tear the center out of a target over and over again, and makes you feel like you're a better shot than you actually are. I love that gun. But unless you reload, .45 Colt is expensive and hard to find.

As others have said, .45-70 is a hoot, and if you handload, it can be incredibly vesatile. Anything from light plinking loads to heavy bear-stoppers that will make you think you got kicked in the shoulder by a mule. I love the round, but if you thought .45 Colt was expensive, wait until you see the price of these! For a range plinker, it can be fun, but you better have a pretty comfortable income if you plan to shoot it a lot. Even if you handload, the components aren't cheap (and you're not going to find .45-70 brass discarded on the range for free!), and 405gr pills use a lot of lead.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the .22LR. My 39A is absolutely the most fun rimfire gun I have. It's smooth, accurate, and reliable. You can put a TON of rounds downrange for hardly any money at all, and it's also good for keeping pesky critters out of your yard. You don't get the satisfying punch of a centerfire round, but it's still a ton of fun to shoot. The downside to these is that they're no longer made and expensive and hard to find. I've shot the Henrys and while they're ok, the action doesn't give you that same clasic levergun feel that you get with the 39...but they could still be a fun plinker on a budget.

Ultimately, my recommendation would be a .357. If I could only own one, this is the one I'd pick. It's got enough punch to let you know you're shooting a real gun. Ammo won't kill your wallet, so you'll get to shoot it more, and you can load it with anything from light-recoiling .38s that recoil almost like a .22, all the way up to hot .357 that approaches the bottom end of .30-30 energy levels, which is plenty for deer hunting, at least around these parts. One thing to keep in mind is that magnum cartridges gain a ton of velocity, and thus energy, out of the carbine barrels compared to what you'd typically see out of a revolver. I've measured loads that are around 1100FPS out of a handgun but are at 1700FPS out of my 1894. A lever-action carbine in .357 Magnum is no slouch.

Even with the hot .357 loads, though, recoil is very manageable. You don't get any flash or blast like you do shooting magnums out of a handgun, and you can comfortably shoot it all day with any load without beating yourself up. Another big benefit if've found with the .357 compared to the big-bores is that it's flatter trajectory makes for less variance in point of impact downrange when you're shooting different loads (my .45-70 can be completely off paper at just 50 yards depending upon the load). This makes it easier to enjoy the versatility of the platform without having to constantly re-zero.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    So been wanting a lever gun for along time and finally ready to pull the trigger but not sure what caliber. This is a fun gun.

.44mag
    30-30
    45-70

Which one if you had to choose one?

I do own a ruger in .357 so that’s slightly tempting to stay same caliber.
    I want them all! I’ve got the .44 and .30-30 at present. Right now I just need the .357 and .45-70. My credit cards are rattling and calling me to get that new Ruger made 1895 in .45-70.

miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    So been wanting a lever gun for along time and finally ready to pull the trigger but not sure what caliber. This is a fun gun.

.44mag
    30-30
    45-70

Which one if you had to choose one?

I do own a ruger in .357 so that’s slightly tempting to stay same caliber.
    I’ve had lever guns in each caliber. They’re all good deer rounds. .357 makes the most sense for you due to commonality with your Ruger. I have a S&W .44 but my hunting lever gun is a 45/70. It’s expensive, it’s overkill, but I love it!

Attachments

• 9435AD95-FAB5-4427-8881-92E65771B6D7.jpeg
      9435AD95-FAB5-4427-8881-92E65771B6D7.jpeg
      712.6 KB · Views: 3

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I have an 1894 in 30-30 and a Henry Big Boy in 357/38. They're both beautiful guns. The 30-30 is fun to shoot, but at more than a buck a round, I don't shoot it much. The Henry with 38 has basically zero recoil, which even my wife loves. Not sure you can go wrong with 357 because of the option to shoot cheap, low recoil 38 thru it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am going to throw this one out here as best deer round. 35 rem.

30/30 on steroids. A true rifle round in 357. Has the ability to take big bear. Terminal performance high above what the ballistics chart would make one think. Does not rattle filling loose when you touch one off. Is available in the smaller 336 package instead of the larger 1895.

I use one in contender rifle at times hunting and in a 336 if the single shot is not an option. Now I still use the 44 mag as my still hunting gun but mainly because of the old PCR rules and some areas I hunt I like the 44 as it has the ballistic properties of a football.
    I have a 336. I wouldn't use it for plinking though...however, I was told you can load some 158 gr. .357 bullets with some light powder and have a low power/recoil option to "plink". I have never done it, but I might some day.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    And another vote for .357. But I like to minimize calibers if I can. .357 would be fun, versatile and economical.

I'm not long for shooting centerfires anymore, but for awhile I was really wanting a .357 lever gun.

If I was going to buy now (which I'm not), I would probably look at a .22. I'm thinking that I may be shooting much more .22 in the future.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    The first Henry I come across in .357 is mine.

Stumbled onto mine in a gun store in Terre Haute. Didn't even know I needed it until my wife saw it and fell in love. It's the colored case hardened version. It was used, but immaculate condition. They're out there, just gotta be ready when one turns up!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I am going to throw this one out here as best deer round. 35 rem.

30/30 on steroids. A true rifle round in 357. Has the ability to take big bear. Terminal performance high above what the ballistics chart would make one think. Does not rattle filling loose when you touch one off. Is available in the smaller 336 package instead of the larger 1895.

I use one in contender rifle at times hunting and in a 336 if the single shot is not an option. Now I still use the 44 mag as my still hunting gun but mainly because of the old PCR rules and some areas I hunt I like the 44 as it has the ballistic properties of a football.
    Yes, if you're looking for hunting performance out of a standard lever action round and you hunt private land, then .35 Rem would be the choice.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    By fun, I'm assuming you're talking about a range toy, for basic target plinking, no practical purpose.

I own a number of Marlin leverguns, pretty much have one in every common caliber exept .35 Remington. My best shooting one is my Remington-made Marlin 1894C in .45 Colt. It will tear the center out of a target over and over again, and makes you feel like you're a better shot than you actually are. I love that gun. But unless you reload, .45 Colt is expensive and hard to find.

As others have said, .45-70 is a hoot, and if you handload, it can be incredibly vesatile. Anything from light plinking loads to heavy bear-stoppers that will make you think you got kicked in the shoulder by a mule. I love the round, but if you thought .45 Colt was expensive, wait until you see the price of these! For a range plinker, it can be fun, but you better have a pretty comfortable income if you plan to shoot it a lot. Even if you handload, the components aren't cheap (and you're not going to find .45-70 brass discarded on the range for free!), and 405gr pills use a lot of lead.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the .22LR. My 39A is absolutely the most fun rimfire gun I have. It's smooth, accurate, and reliable. You can put a TON of rounds downrange for hardly any money at all, and it's also good for keeping pesky critters out of your yard. You don't get the satisfying punch of a centerfire round, but it's still a ton of fun to shoot. The downside to these is that they're no longer made and expensive and hard to find. I've shot the Henrys and while they're ok, the action doesn't give you that same clasic levergun feel that you get with the 39...but they could still be a fun plinker on a budget.

Ultimately, my recommendation would be a .357. If I could only own one, this is the one I'd pick. It's got enough punch to let you know you're shooting a real gun. Ammo won't kill your wallet, so you'll get to shoot it more, and you can load it with anything from light-recoiling .38s that recoil almost like a .22, all the way up to hot .357 that approaches the bottom end of .30-30 energy levels, which is plenty for deer hunting, at least around these parts. One thing to keep in mind is that magnum cartridges gain a ton of velocity, and thus energy, out of the carbine barrels compared to what you'd typically see out of a revolver. I've measured loads that are around 1100FPS out of a handgun but are at 1700FPS out of my 1894. A lever-action carbine in .357 Magnum is no slouch.

Even with the hot .357 loads, though, recoil is very manageable. You don't get any flash or blast like you do shooting magnums out of a handgun, and you can comfortably shoot it all day with any load without beating yourself up. Another big benefit if've found with the .357 compared to the big-bores is that it's flatter trajectory makes for less variance in point of impact downrange when you're shooting different loads (my .45-70 can be completely off paper at just 50 yards depending upon the load). This makes it easier to enjoy the versatility of the platform without having to constantly re-zero.
    I had a 1894c in .357 and I wish I still had it. Sadly I was young, got it dirt cheap and flipped it for 3 times what I paid. I shoulda kept it lol

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I had a 1894c in .357 and I wish I still had it. Sadly I was young, got it dirt cheap and flipped it for 3 times what I paid. I shoulda kept it lol
    Yeah, I could probably get between 2-3x what I paid for mine these days, but I'm not selling, lol. Beyond just enjoying them on the range, a levergun is a fine companion to a big-bore revolver in the same caliber when you're camping in bear country, and they make an excellent deer rifle as well.

I really hate what collectors are doing to the Marlin market these days. I buy guns to shoot them, carry them, and hunt with them. They aren't financial investments to me beyond the idea of owning a quality tool that lasts a lifetime and maybe more is better than cheap junk that has to be replaced on a regular basis.

I was attracted to Marlins in the first place because they made a quality, utilitarian product at a reasonable price...kind of everyman's rifle. Thankfully I got into them before things got really stupid, but now it's getting to the point that I'm almost afraid to use them like I want to because I can't afford to replace them if they get damaged or stolen.

I just acquired a 16" 1894P in .44 mag from a friend last week. There's some sentimental value to that one, and it'll be getting used for sure, regardless of its commercial value. The friend I got it from is getting older and selling stuff off now, but he used to live out west and has some cowboying and a lot of shooting under his belt. He's been a huge source of knowledge to me and has helped me immensely in my shooting and reloading career. My next trip out to Wyoming that rifle will be coming along to serve duty as the camp gun.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Sorry, I must disagree with these suggestions. 30wcf (30-30) is the only choice here. The classic and most popular of lever rounds. Available in just about any center fire lever gun. Will take care of all the fun you can handle. Second choice would be 32 Winchester if you reload. Of course, this is just MHO. Your mileage may vary.
    View attachment 216450
    Knowing it`s all completely subjective, I agree with the timeless .30-30. It`s the cowboy lever gun, and it's killed, so I`ve read, a TON of deer. When I bought a Winchester `94, I wanted it only in .30-30.

Attachments

• Winchester `94 2022.jpg
      Winchester `94 2022.jpg
      856.5 KB · Views: 8

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Love my Marlin 336 in .30-30. When I got it the action was superb and the finish was almost gone. I teflon Birdsong Green'd it, shortened the stock and cut the barrel to 16.5". Really a fun, accurate gun with winged Skinner sights and a dot.

I hate to admit it but I picked up a Marlin 1894cst (.357) a couple years ago and it still sits unfired in the safe. Really need to shoot it.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I had a Marlin lever gun in 35 Remington, good deer gun but for just range fun I think a pistol caliber would be more fun.
    I not long ago had a Winchester `94 Trapper in .44 mag. Great gun, fun to shoot with the LeveRevolution loads. I killed one little buck with it. It was an Angle Eject, (AE), and I had it scoped. For some unknown reason, I parted with it, wish I hadn`t. But now I have a Winchester `94 in .30-30. I`, much more excited about this particular rifle because it`s a .30-30.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I look at my Winchester 94 44 mag I gave $300 for and my jm stamped Marlin 45/70 and look what they are selling for and think to myself, "damn yetti you did invest well.!!!!" Then I look at that Winchester 94/22mag and say, "damn, wish I'd bought more at that price.". Then hindsight being 20/20 all the sks I could have bought for $90 a piece. And then that python I let pass at $750 and anaconda for $500......jeez why did I start thinking of the past......

Top Bottom