• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEKLEM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I'll agree with a used G19 or a M&P. Not sure with the current used market madness, but a used gen 3 19 should be able to be had around $450. This time last year I witnessed several purchased at $400.
    Sadly Rona has made polymer striker firearms exceedingly hard to find and when you do the sellers want $600 plus for Glock 19s of any generation.

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    Caniks are great guns, I had one that I really liked. The slide width made it less desirable for carry than I like. If you are comfortable carrying it, good guns.

@gryphnrider, here is a great sight for comparing the size of handguns:

Thank you

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    Taurus G3c or the G2c are great little pistols. I've had 2 G2c both fired everything I put in it. My buddy bought one and I bought another for my sister because she liked the way it felt in her hand and the size, and capacity. Before I gave it to her I did my 1000rd test with it, and it did not fail me at all. Great little guns. The G3c is a newer version of the G2c. Grab one if it's available. Oh and sig p226 mags work in them if you want to get more capacity. You can buy the mec gar p226 18rd mags they work great in them. Go to eBay there is a guy that makes sleeves for them and the G2c. Also Ruger American 9mm very affordable and reliable. Built like a tank.
    Thanks I keep seeing the taurus but everyone seems to hate them but all the reviews of people who have shot them rate them high

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Go for for the Taurus g3c, g2c or, the g2s. You won't be disappointed. Most people that bash the Taurus, never owned one. If you don't like it, I'll offer to buy it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I love my Taurus G2C. For whatever reason I actually shoot it really well. I'm more accurate with it than many other pistols I've shot over the years, including a Glock 19 which used to be my EDC.

I haven't run it super hard. It has maybe 600-700 rounds through it, but it's run with every type of ammo I fed it. It's not my primary carry gun but I do trust it for carry and do sometimes pull it into that role when concealment is more of a concern.

I wish it came with more than just two mags, but for a gun I got for under $200 there is no reason to nit pick on that.

It's also a gun I feel comfortable loaning out to friends or family if they need something in a pinch. I loaned it to a buddy for about 6 months at the start of the pandemic just so he'd have something for home defense. He actually wanted to buy it from me but I wasn't willing to let it go permanently.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    Get you a used Taurus PT99AF and you will be happy. I bought one new in 1984 and it is a great gun. 1000s of rounds through it and it has NEVER jammed once.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I have the Ruger Ecs9. I'm amazed by it, eats everything I feed it and it's accurate.
    I've even killed Chipmunks at 5- 12 yards with it .
    The only thing I don't like about it is the mag release . Wish it was just a tad longer .
    Round count is 2,500 + -

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    I love my Taurus G2C. For whatever reason I actually shoot it really well. I'm more accurate with it than many other pistols I've shot over the years, including a Glock 19 which used to be my EDC.

I haven't run it super hard. It has maybe 600-700 rounds through it, but it's run with every type of ammo I fed it. It's not my primary carry gun but I do trust it for carry and do sometimes pull it into that role when concealment is more of a concern.

I wish it came with more than just two mags, but for a gun I got for under $200 there is no reason to nit pick on that.

It's also a gun I feel comfortable loaning out to friends or family if they need something in a pinch. I loaned it to a buddy for about 6 months at the start of the pandemic just so he'd have something for home defense. He actually wanted to buy it from me but I wasn't willing to let it go permanently.
    Thank yoy

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    For 450 for pistol only, you could look at most of the big players. M&P, Glock, CZ P10.

For 450 you can get pistol, holster and mag carrier.

Taurus G3c is a good buy, glock interchangeable sights and 3 mags
    Canik I really like, except for the sights. Not sure on what is available for replacement.
    Diamond Back is a decent bargain gun.
    Bersa makes a good 9mm single stack, also a Da/Sa 9mm with Sig interchangeable sights.

As far as "easy acquiring target" that takes work. A red dot is not a simple solution to bypass the work needed.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    As has been said already. Just get a used glock, le trade-in, etc. Parts, mags, and accessories are everywhere and it will generally maintain it's value if/when you try to sell it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Get you a used Taurus PT99AF and you will be happy. I bought one new in 1984 and it is a great gun. 1000s of rounds through it and it has NEVER jammed once.
    I still have one of these in the safe. Bought mine in like 91 or so. Not something I'd carry these days, but one could do far worse if looking for a DA/SA 9mm that works well.

That said OP, if you are going to buy only one gun and you have a hard limit of $450, I'd buy one with a ton of aftermarket support, and likely local resources that could get you going again if something did happen, and with inexpensive mags, lots of holster availability, etc. That would all lead me to a Glock 19 if you can find one close to your price range. I have some 19's. They are not my primary carry choice these days but if I could only have 1 gun, was on a very restrictive budget and needed something ubiquitous that would be it. You'll be pressed to find one in the $450 range currently, but it's possible. If your caliber choices are open, then perhaps a Glock 23.

Other choices could be an M&P 2.0 Compact, or possibly a Shield, etc. Again depending on what you can find in your range. Maybe a trade in M&P 1.0 model.

These days, I'm either carrying a Sig P365 or a P320, but mags can be pricey and both are going to be likely north of $450 in the current market. The great thing about these guns is that if you decide you want a compact, subcompact, or carry size grip module you can swap that rather easily and for fairly low cost, but again magazines and the gun themselves will be north of your price range to start.

You will be SOL for a while if you only have one and have a breakage on an SCCY, Taurus, or some of the other very budget minded guns mentioned and need to get it fixed. Some of these are hard to come by aftermarket or OEM parts for, and some would take protracted period of time to get fixed if they have to go back to the mothership for assistance.

Last edited:

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I still have one of these in the safe. Bought mine in like 91 or so. Not something I'd carry these days, but one could do far worse if looking for a DA/SA 9mm that works well.

That said OP, if you are going to buy only one gun and you have a hard limit of $450, I'd buy one with a ton of aftermarket support, and likely local resources that could get you going again if something did happen, and with inexpensive mags, lots of holster availability, etc. That would all lead me to a Glock 19 if you can find one close to your price range. I have some 19's. They are not my primary carry choice these days but if I could only have 1 gun, was on a very restrictive budget and needed something ubiquitous that would be it. You'll be pressed to find one in the $450 range currently, but it's possible. If your caliber choices are open, then perhaps a Glock 23.

Other choices could be an M&P 2.0 Compact, or possibly a Shield, etc. Again depending on what you can find in your range. Maybe a trade in M&P 1.0 model.

These days, I'm either carrying a Sig P365 or a P320, but mags can be pricey and both are going to be likely north of $450 in the current market. The great thing about these guns is that if you decide you want a compact, subcompact, or carry size grip module you can swap that rather easily and for fairly low cost, but again magazines and the gun themselves will be north of your price range to start.

You will be SOL for a while if you only have one and have a breakage on an SCCY, Taurus, or some of the other very budget minded guns mentioned and need to get it fixed. Some of these are hard to come by aftermarket or OEM parts for, and some would take protracted period of time to get fixed if they have to go back to the mothership for assistance.
    The shield would have been a move a year ago. They were like $180 after rebates, easily well worth that price.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the advice and information
    Can you give us more on your use case/pattern? Is this a carry gun, is this a night stand gun, range gun, all of the above? What are your priorities for it (i.e. concealability etc?) Do you already own some others? This would help us be able to hone in on some possibilities better.

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    Can you give us more on your use case/pattern? Is this a carry gun, is this a night stand gun, range gun, all of the above? What are your priorities for it (i.e. concealability etc?) Do you already own some others? This would help us be able to hone in on some possibilities better.
    I want an all arounder. It is going good be my only gun and a carry. I have owned a few various guns but never had more than 1 at a time because of fund issues. I am looking for something sizewise between the g19 and g43 which were my latest Guns ( the g19 seemed a little big to carry the g43 is just not comfortable for me)

Top Bottom