• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've carried a snub revolver in .44 Spl. with handloads since '87. Never found anything better with that level of power for the size and weight.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I usually carry either a S&W 642 or a Kahr CW9. Neither are the ground-breaking hi-capacity pistols most prefer these days, but they have never failed me. Ever. I find ways to make them live with me.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I have carried a pps mod1 for years it’s never failed me.I do have others just don’t have much range time with them . so for now staying with what I trust.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Over the years I've discovered the 2 main factors, for me personally, that affect comfortable carry enough so that I'll have it on me all day every day are:
    width and weight.
    Of course it must be of serviceable caliber, function and reliabilty but once beyond those factors I prefer thin and lightweight.
    I agree on thin and lightweight are great hot weather choices. And when concealment is mandatory or just plain common sense with the people you encounter and work with through the day.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    There is no best CC/EDC gun! I started out with a WWII Remington Rand 1911 that lasted for 8 years. Uncle Sam then gave me a Colt 1911 to carry after that I went to a custom Officers Model 1911, tried a Glock 19 1st gen for about 3 months then back to the Officers Model 1911. From there I went to an STI 6" 1911. Auther hit my hands so started back down in calibers ending up with a Colt 1903 .32 ACP. I do go back to a .45 or 10mm if going into areas that could require showing who has the bigest. In the long run you carry what works for you at that time of your life, for me now at 75 it is a .32 ACP.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I have concealed carried numerous Glocks, Sig P226, and even a 1911. For edc I think it comes down to something that isn't a fuss to mess with, light and small. So Glock 42. Its not the smallest .380 out there, but the size and weight really tame any recoil. It is small enough for pocket carry which means it sits in the holster in the safe and as soon as pants go on, you can slip it into a pocket. No messing with putting a holster on a belt.

I also liked the Glock 27 and 26. The last time I wore my 23 all day, I end up with some weird scars (maybe from grip rubbing on my side). The 1911 was a disaster with the slide release, safety lever, grips really tearing my side up, especially when seated in my car. Anything full size, especially the SIG, seems to leave a bruise on my hip. Maybe I carry too much, belt didn't seem too tight.

I haven't carried a 43X yet, but seems like a good gun for it based on others input here and looking at the specs.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes I have oiled and ran it through but I still am not happy
    My slide on my Shield is rather stiff also, but I think that is by design. It has the dual recoil spring and it's a small slide to grab on to with a short stroke. I have lot's of rounds through mine and it's as stiff as it was when new. You might check someone elses to compare. And if yours is stiffer, the like DadSmith says, contact Glock.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Really, one year? I guess I'm even more glad now that I went M&P. :)
    Yep found out the hard way with my Glock 20sf. My gunsmith fixed the issue for $25 so all is well. Something to do with the factory connector. It's been a long time ago so I can't remember the exact problem it had.

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've come to the conclusion that there's no one answer to this question. It's a decision that you have to research heavily and decide for yourself.

For me personally, I've found it to be conditional on the demands of my environment, but there are a few universal conditions that have to be met:

1. The gun must be drop safe, either by means of a firing pin block, transfer bar, or some other device.

2. No manual safety that has to be disengaged under pressure. The only manipulation required should be to draw the gun, aim, and pull the trigger.

3. Must be a centerfire caliber with decent ballistics.

4. Has to be large enough for me to shoot it well at a decent distance (I'm not a mouse gun/pocket auto fan).

My current carry gun for the rural area where I live is a Sig P245. I like a .45, and it fills the hand nicely without being any larger than it has to be. The capacity is adequate for my area, and it will accept 8-round p220 mags as reloads.

When I go to an urban area, I will often switch to a higher capacity 9mm like a P320.

Backpacking east of the Mississippi, I like a 3" SP101 in .357 mag. Out west (where there are bigger critters) I've even carried a .45 Colt Blackhawk. Being single-action, that one breaks my rules a bit (have to cock it to fire), but I don't own a big-bore DA revolver yet.

Jogging or in any other environment where I can't carry a "real" gun, I like my airweight J-Frame. That's my gun that I carry when I absolutely can't carry anything else. It's not the smallest thing out there, but I've qualified with it out to 25 yards and am far more confident with it than I am with an LCP or the like.

There is something to be said for training to a specific manual of arms, but all of these platforms go into action the same way...draw, aim, and pull the trigger.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    With a good belt and holster, many guns work. I use a Kore essentials belt and IWB Vedder holster for my CZ 75 Compact. All steel ......
    it’s been said before a weapon is comforting versus comfortable

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    As you can tell there is no one answer to that question or we would all have it, lol. Its about personal choice and what suits you.

Decide fit carry and most importantly use, anything less turns into a paper weight at some time. Try going to your local gun range and renting a few to try out first.

Since you have a P365, maybe looking into the P320 compact?

bcod151

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    LA PORTE
    I usually choose the glock 26 or the 43. Glock 43 is of course a bit slimmer than the 26 so it is a tad more comfortable. Both small enough to conceal well. I would like to purchase a p365 one day as I read and hear they are very good. Also dyerwatcher nailed it good quality belt and holster makes all the difference.

Top Bottom