• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Nightforce Atacr 1-8 fc-dmx Kenzie's has 1 in stock free shipping, no tax, and 10% off puts it at $2520.

You also mentioned you like Primary Arms reticle the 1-8 PLX is another good option.

Or if your wanting more magnification and a "budget" price. Meopta Optika 3-18x50 w/ MRAD reticle $650-$700. I have one on an ar10 308 the reticle is great, especially for a "dmr/spr" role. It's holding up fine around 1800rnds of .308 riding in a truck/utv bed dropped a couple times we'll just say it hasn't been babied.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Honestly I think you’re on the right track with the Nightforce.

I’ve had Razors and Vipers, and finally took the plunge on a NF. I should have done it a long time ago.

That NXS 2-10 is only 20oz, which is pretty light for a scope in that class. As you mentioned, they get stupid heavy.

SFP becomes an issue if you have really high magnification and might take long shots at less than max power. 10x has always seemed like a sweet spot. I’ve done a lot of shooting from 0-400yds with a 2-10.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    A quality 2.5-10x like the NF you mention would work just fine as well, FYI. I’ve shot out to 1,000y w/ a fixed 10x without issue, but you may eventually decide you want more mag, and it’s SFP as you mentioned. A hunting optic is fine in SFP if you’re not using it for long range stuff or plan to do all your ranging and holdovers at the correct mag, but in today’s day and age, I’d absolutely stick with FFP for something that’s primarily a long range tool.
    Basher, you made some good points. I guess it depends on the intended use right?

You mentioned “something that’s primarily a long range tool.” I guess I consider a DMR rifle a mid range tool that can double as a close range or long range tool. Weight is a big consideration for me, but I carry my rifles a lot.

OP, what does DMR rifle mean to you?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    OP, what does DMR rifle mean to you?
    That is a fair question. I think a DMR comes into play where an M4 drops off. 300-500 yards plus. So medium to max effective range of 5.56. Anything more than that and I feel we are getting into precision rifle/sniper territory and probably .30 caliber. I'd like for it to be light enough to carry but I expect it to be heavier than an M4. I'd say 10 pounds total would be the top end of acceptable. I guess an all around rifle that can be your only rifle if need be but reach out a little bit further as well

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    An Arken 4-16 will do the job just fine.

Honestly, you aren't getting a huge amount more these days with super highend stuff, over that. Apochromatic glass with hyper accurate turrets for under $500 is a steal. https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/sh4g2-4-16x50mm-ffp-vpr
    It's about as good as a scope gets until you hit the $2k and up range. The arkens have much better glass and much better tracking than SWFAs do.

If you have money to blow I'd look at an IOR Valdada Recon https://www.valdada.com/4-28x50-40mm-recon-tactical-ffp-mil-mil-xtreme-x1-illum-reticle/ At least you're getting a 40mm tube and some of the best glass on earth, with that price tag.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    An Arken 4-16 will do the job just fine.

Honestly, you aren't getting a huge amount more these days with super highend stuff, over that. Apochromatic glass with hyper accurate turrets for under $500 is a steal. https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/sh4g2-4-16x50mm-ffp-vpr
    It's about as good as a scope gets until you hit the $2k and up range. The arkens have much better glass and much better tracking than SWFAs do.

If you have money to blow I'd look at an IOR Valdada Recon https://www.valdada.com/4-28x50-40mm-recon-tactical-ffp-mil-mil-xtreme-x1-illum-reticle/ At least you're getting a 40mm tube and some of the best glass on earth, with that price tag.

Whatever you do @kawtech87 don’t listen to this guy lolololol. No offense, but that entire post is crazy talk if your budget approaches $2500 or so.

First off, the Arkens are supposed to be pretty nice, for a $350-500 optic. But they’re a FAR cry from “as good as it gets until you hit $2k.” :laugh6: Will they work? Yeah, more than likely. But if you have the budget for a better optic, use it. I’m not saying you NEED one or to needlessly spend more at the expense of other needs, but if I had the ability to spend more I absolutely would not be settling for a budget optic. I’d be buying middle tier at the lowest. Arkens are great, if that’s all you can afford…

And please, for the love of all that is holy, do NOT buy an IOR. They had their 15min of fame back in like 2005. :lmfao: Finding 40mm rings is a PITA and for $3,000 you’d be much better served with a used ZCO, TT, Hensoldt, S&B, NF, Khales, etc. that actually have a solid reputation industry-wide.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My budget could technically be unlimited. Like I said, I'm not the kind of person that will buy something just to buy something. Typically I over research everything and end up buying higher end stuff usually because I want it to last. I want my kids to be able to shoot my rifles some day so I'm very much a "buy once cry once" kinda guy, and I'm pretty good at saving money and being patient. Now with that deal you PMed me I may end up with the Vortex just to get some glass on a poor neglected rifle at a good price then save for something "better" down the road. We'll see how it goes.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    When I first read about the MK12 rifle, developed at Crane, to fill the DMR role, I fell into the rabbit hole.

Having spent good money trying to make a “decent” barrel shoot good, my advice, that you’re not really asking for, is spend the money on a real MK12 upper.

I have a MK12 Mod 0, and a MK 12 Mod 1, along with an AEM5 suppressor. It is literally zero change of impact vs point of aim with either. The .gov spent millions to develop the perfect DMR rifle. The MK12 program is one of the few things they did right.

The originals had either a NightForce or a Leupold. When I put mine together, the glass is the only place I varied from the originals.

My original plan was to make them as close to originals as possible. Alan at AAOptics got some refurbs in about the time I was going to drop $2K on a NightForce.

I went with a Vortex Viper PST, 2.5-10x32, on both. I have zero regrets. I can draw smiley faces on the head of a silhouette at 450 with either.

0CB1F136-97CA-4BFD-AD6C-A7C791F7FDC7.png

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    When I first read about the MK12 rifle, developed at Crane, to fill the DMR role, I fell into the rabbit hole.

Having spent good money trying to make a “decent” barrel shoot good, my advice, that you’re not really asking for, is spend the money on a real MK12 upper.

I have a MK12 Mod 0, and a MK 12 Mod 1, along with an AEM5 suppressor. It is literally zero change of impact vs point of aim with either. The .gov spent millions to develop the perfect DMR rifle. The MK12 program is one of the few things they did right.

The originals had either a NightForce or a Leupold. When I put mine together, the glass is the only place I varied from the originals.

My original plan was to make them as close to originals as possible. Alan at AAOptics got some refurbs in about the time I was going to drop $2K on a NightForce.

I went with a Vortex Viper PST, 2.5-10x32, on both. I have zero regrets. I can draw smiley faces on the head of a silhouette at 450 with either.

View attachment 281110
    Nice rifles! I've considered doing a Mk12 clone but decided to use what I have instead of spending money on another rifle. I can use the money I would've spent on the upper on optics and have a rifle that will shoot better than I can while using what's already in my safe.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    There’s a vendor doing a 50% off MSRP sale right now on the 3-15x, and a 52.5% MSRP on the 5-25x. Shoot me a PM if you want their infinformation
    I missed his deal. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

I've spent most of the weekend reading reviews and specs and watching YouTube videos. I've decided that since I missed the deal on the Vortex I'm going to try the PA GLX 3-18×44 with the Athena ACSS reticle. With the scope and PLX mount I can get a decent setup for around 1k. This will get me something to get started with and I can save money and upgrade later if I want to. The PA GLX has some good specs for the money. ED glass, 34mm tube, 29.6 Oz so not much heavier than the Vortex and PA lifetime warranty.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I don't have much to offer that hasn't been covered already so I'll hit my favorite high points:

1) good glass is most important.
    2) sometimes the max zoom gets distorted so if you want, say 20x, get a scope that goes to 24x.
    3) don't mix adjustment types, this comes from direct personal experience. I have moa, mrad, and fixed power, and I about have to take a crash course when I switch optics.
    4) depending on how you shoot the reticle is pretty important. Too cluttered sucks. My two favorite for distance are a very thin crosshair and a Christmas tree. But, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. I have everything from an ncstar 4x shotgun scope to a razor hd II. I like lots of magnification and while I do have illuminated scopes its not a requirement for me. I would think weight would be a secondary issue given dmr would be in overwatch position on a front rest, but I am often wrong.

Nightforce and Swarovski, this is the way. It's also the way I can't afford yet but if I could, I would. I should. Maybe I will.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder about the compromises in both directions?

Higher magnification LVPO's still don't have side focus, correct? And still are limited in field of view by design, without a larger objective lense?

As discussed above, higher magnification typically comes with more weight. If you are gonna pack the rifle around, that becomes an issue.

I wonder about a dedicated higher magnification variable power, say 25x, in a QD mount for paper punching, load devopment, varmints, bragging, etc? You could also move this around, from rifle to rifle, as needed.

Then opt for a something more realistic for toting around as a DMR?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009

View attachment 281110
    Ever see any shift in zero from hard use on those scopes? I have the exact same one (Gen I all the way) but it shifted zero on a rough antelope hunt, fortunately on the pack out.

Still love the scope, but it’s been relegated to a .22 for now…

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I’ve not had any issues, surprisingly. One of them has a decent knick where it fell on concrete.

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    NF atacr or nx8 if you’re saving a couple bucks. 1-8 F1 moa or mil, can still run at 1x as a red dot (in some respect). I wouldn’t look anywhere else for the price.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Little update on this thread. Things took priority and this project got put on the back burner.... again.

Anyway fast forward I just ordered a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18×44 for this rifle. A few things ticked all the right boxes. Good reticle, lightweight, good magnification range and the fact I literally cannot find a negative review on it. Plus Optics Planet had it on sale for just over 1k. So now just waiting it to show up and get it mounted. Pics to follow.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Little update on this thread. Things took priority and this project got put on the back burner.... again.

Anyway fast forward I just ordered a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18×44 for this rifle. A few things ticked all the right boxes. Good reticle, lightweight, good magnification range and the fact I literally cannot find a negative review on it. Plus Optics Planet had it on sale for just over 1k. So now just waiting it to show up and get it mounted. Pics to follow.

I have a 4.5-30 Tenmile and it is, hands down, my favorite high mag scope.

Hope you end up with a similar experience!

Top Bottom