• ...and so much more!
  • DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    You won't beat a Mossberg 835 or 500.
    If you have the $$$ a Benelli Nova or Supernova is also a great pump gun.
    I personally own two 835's and one Supernova and are 100% satisfied with all 3.
    I bought my 835's and my BSN back when it was still a buyers market and got them all NIB for good to very good deals.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Mossberg 500 vs Maverick 88? I own 2 Mavs and 1 Mossy. Will bet my life on any of the 3. Barrels are a piece of cake to swap out and either will handle field, HD, or deer slug barrel.. Safety location is different between the 2, but it is a matter of what you get used to. Biggest difference I noticed is that the 88s have an aluminum receiver while the Mossy has a steel one, so the shotgun weighs about 1 lb less overall. Doesn't sound like much until you've been carrying all day in the field.

The Maverick will cost you 2/3s of what the Mossberg will run you. But you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    For got to add besides owning two Mossberg 26" 835 turkey guns and a 26" Benelli SN I also own four 870's. Two 24"/RC 3.5" Express Supermags and one 3" Express 870 with 21"/IS, 24" and 28" barrels W/RC and a vintage Circa 1980 28" 12ga 870 Wingmaster.
    My newest 870 is at least 12-15 years old. I couldn't even begin to hazard a guess at how many rounds my 870's Express models have digested but its in the 1000s and 1000's, and I've never had a single issue with any of them. My original 870 and my only Wingmaster, has without doubt digested closer to 20k then 10k rounds in every possible description from trap loads to 2.75" Foster slugs and has never given me so much as a hint of trouble.
    My 21" 870 is my dedicated home defense gun complete with a Sig Romeo 5 shake awake red dot that also co-witnesses the iron sights quite well.
    You will also be well served by a 870 just be sure to give it a microscope close inspection including disassembling it and examining the internals as it literally causes me anguish and even pain to have to admit after Remington was acquired by I for get who, their QC definitely suffered and they did produce long guns not up to their legendary standards. And this is coming from a guy who owns 3 M700's, 4 870's, 2 1187's, and two Liberty 22lr/HG's so yeah I love me some Big Green. Didn't say much about my 1187's as we are discussing pumps not semi-auto's.

Top Bottom