Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence

357Slinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Sellersburg
    Mossy 500 tough to beat for $$. I've had Benelli Super Nova, Remi 870 marine grade gator gun. Shot Mossy 500 as loaner on a dove hunt and it was fine.

HD indoors with a 12 ga would be a decibel apocalypse. But at least you'd probably have good survival odds. Be sure to get some good hearing protection and hope you have time to deploy it.

Nothing like the sound of racking the slide on a good ole 12 ga.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I wonder if they make a defensive shotgun 7+1 18.5" barrel that has a choke system? That would be very versatile. Cylinder bore choke to full turkey choke all in a defensive shotgun package if one so desired.

Or is is possible to take something like a Mossberg 590 and put a choke tube in it? Have a gun Smith thread the barrel if possible.

Last edited:

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Aaand, it's out of stock.

Pretty sure both of the links I posted in this thread were out of stock in hours, gotta be Quickdraw McGraw with the credit card info if you're looking to buy an in-demand product these days...

I wonder if they make a defensive shotgun 7+1 18.5" barrel that has a choke system? That would be very versatile. Cylinder bore choke to full turkey choke all in a defensive shotgun package if one so desired.

Or is is possible to take something like a Mossberg 590 and put a choke tube in it? Have a gun Smith thread the barrel if possible.

This is as close as I could find -- 20" Mossberg 500 barrel, 6+1 capacity, comes with improved, modified, and full chokes:

https://www.mossberg.com/store/500-12-gauge-all-purpose-barrel-20-blued-6-shot-90140.html

Out of stock of course

deerslayer512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 23, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My first shotgun, which i still own, is a winchester SXP. Ive used it entensively for trap/skeet/sporting clays, turkey hunting, waterfowl hunting, deer and small game hunting, and home defense. It has never let me down after 1000s of rounds. Barrels are available for whatever your use may be and are fairly easy to find. She shoots whatever load i throw at her without issue. Recoil is very light and the inertia assist pump is effective for skeet field cycling. Heck, when loaded with 3" magnum slugs, the inertia assist and recoil ejects the shell for me. Its been a great gun and I'd highly recommend it.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    I ended up trading for a mossberg 500 with 24" choked barrel. Think I may eventually end up with longer and shorter barrels but seemed like a good start.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Mossberg 500 has a top safety, which works for lefties ( if they dont mind empties flying across ). They rattle and are thick wristed.
    They work but are crude and IMHO are not the best for wingshooting.

But some people like a thick wristed gun.

IMHO an 870 Express (older model) is a much better gun. Thats as cheap as Id go.

In fact Im looking for an older one in 20 ga for a rabbit rig. Swap in a youth 21" bbl.and itll be way cheaper than an 870 Special Field LOL.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I'd like to find a cheap old beat up but reliable side by side and have it cut to down to 20" then have it threaded for chokes.

I've found two Steoger SxS's this last year on INGO for $300.00 without and $330.00 with chokes and I bought the one without chokes. Their fine shotguns for my purpose, I have used it for skeet and trap and I am able to do as well as the guys with $2000 - $3000 dollar shotguns. It kinda pisses them off sometimes. I like mine very much.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They come with choke? Or good ole cylinder bore?

A friend of mine has a couple with chokes that he shoots cowboy action stuff with and loves them.
    Mine actually has 26" barrels, single trigger with choke tubes. It has been a great field gun and I have burned through a few flats of shells shooting trap with it too. I haven't had any complaints with it after about 18yrs. While it shoots well, I will acknowledge that it doesn't have the same fit & finish or smoothness of something higher end such as a Browning or Beretta etc. But, for the price point they are a plain Jane work horse not a show horse.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I just spent 3x hours looking for the walnut nickel finish with choke system and they are all sold out. That walnut and nickel looks sharp.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You just missed it...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns-rifles-shotguns/486239-remington-870-12-ga.html

Put a WTB add in the classy's and I bet you'll have numerous offers. Remington 870 is the standard.

Everything else is a copycat. Nothing wrong with a lot of them, but why not start with the most popular?

Parts, new and used, aftermarket accessories, Magpul, everything you can think of is made for the 870.
    But the safety is in the wrong place...

random44

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    North Central
    I know the 870 was already mentioned. If you can catch them in stock, I bought an 870 express from Dunham sports for $375 (tax included). It had the 28" barrel which I cut down to 18 3/4" to use for home defense. I have a hunting shotgun, so I didn't need the longer barrel and buying an 18.5" was not cost effective.

random44

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    North Central
    Forgot to add, I personally would not buy one from Dunhams unless you can't find one anywhere else. That was just where I got mine before having a bad experience there on a different day.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom