• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not tacticool, and probably more limited aftermarket options, but I do love my Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight (old enough to be able to slam-fire it). :) But my bedside shotgun is a Mossberg 500.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    870..EOS. Oh Wait...they were ran out of business.....I see anew image coming of the new gen on their hands and knees in the brush looking for their parts......no worries...just order a replacement part from China...Amazon may be able to get it to you in time to save your life or take that Buck.???

:rockwoot:

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Not tacticool, and probably more limited aftermarket options, but I do love my Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight (old enough to be able to slam-fire it). :) But my bedside shotgun is a Mossberg 500.

Ithaca has always been one of my favorite shotguns for hunting. Have one in 20 gauge. Plus, bottom ejection. Left handed folks really seem to like them and Brownings for that reason.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Mossberg 500, 590, Maverick 88, Remington 870 are all great small budget options. Shotguns can be very versatile but you need to give real consideration to how you might want to use it.
    What shotgun sports are you interested in?

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Mossberg 500, 590, Maverick 88, Remington 870 are all great small budget options. Shotguns can be very versatile but you need to give real consideration to how you might want to use it.
    What shotgun sports are you interested in?

There are a couple local places that have trap and sporting clay courses. My main point was not to limit my options and get the most functionality possible with an initial purchase. I realize if I start doing anything regularly, I will soon be looking for more and better.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Tyler thanks for the offer, but I don't have enough posts to reply to your PM. I'm slowly getting there ;-)

I really appreciate it. Not quite ready to pull the trigger yet or stretch my budget that much for a first gun. Best of luck with your sale.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There are a couple local places that have trap and sporting clay courses. My main point was not to limit my options and get the most functionality possible with an initial purchase. I realize if I start doing anything regularly, I will soon be looking for more and better.

Right on. Well if you are interested in shooting trap and or sporting clays, as well as home defense my opinion would be to take a few things into consideration. Buy something with a wood stock. A synthetic stock makes the gun lighter but the trade off is it results in more felt recoil, which will wear you down shooting multiple rounds of trap or a round of sporting clays. Also a synthetic stock may or may not be able to be shortened to install a better recoil pad.
    For the best do it all, I would say either a Rem 870, Moss 500 or maybe even a CZ pump (870 clone) with wood stock. A barrel of at least 26" for clays games but most people shoot 28" to as much as 34" on target guns. But 26 or 28 will be a good starting point. Short 20" barrels can be bought for these guns to convert it to being ready to defend the home. The 870 will cost a bit more but overall fit & finish will be better, parts are plentiful and should you sell it or trade it in down the road it will hold more value.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Right on. Well if you are interested in shooting trap and or sporting clays, as well as home defense my opinion would be to take a few things into consideration. Buy something with a wood stock. A synthetic stock makes the gun lighter but the trade off is it results in more felt recoil, which will wear you down shooting multiple rounds of trap or a round of sporting clays. Also a synthetic stock may or may not be able to be shortened to install a better recoil pad.
    For the best do it all, I would say either a Rem 870, Moss 500 or maybe even a CZ pump (870 clone) with wood stock. A barrel of at least 26" for clays games but most people shoot 28" to as much as 34" on target guns. But 26 or 28 will be a good starting point. Short 20" barrels can be bought for these guns to convert it to being ready to defend the home. The 870 will cost a bit more but overall fit & finish will be better, parts are plentiful and should you sell it or trade it in down the road it will hold more value.

Great suggestions, thanks!

jdthieke

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Remington 870 is my favorite pump shotgun. A little more money than a mossberg or equivalent, but they are great quality

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Go to your LGS and find a used pump. I promise you there is at least one available in your town. For your first shotgun do that and figure out what you want/need in another.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I do think having something with multiple barrel options provides the flexibility I was looking for. I did see the Stevens 320 combo(field/security) in stock for $220, about an hour and a half away. The Maverick 88 combo is not much more, $230 at rural king, but not in stock.

I would consider the used route more seriously and still will if the right one comes along, but by the time a find and pick up a second barrel I would probably be looking at a higher total cost.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Ithaca has always been one of my favorite shotguns for hunting. Have one in 20 gauge. Plus, bottom ejection. Left handed folks really seem to like them and Brownings for that reason.

I've got a 12 and a 20 model 37. LOvem. But for knocking around and beating to death, I'll use the 500.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Unfortunately any budget firearm is no longer budget now. Everything is marked up quite a bit. I'd still go with whatever the budget option is now though as it should still be "cheaper" than any alternative.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    I would add my vote for a Winchester 1300 Ranger also... I have had mine since around 1992 and its been great. Smooth action and the bluing still looks about perfect. Came with the shorter bull barrel with rifled sites and a regular 28" ribbed barrel....no complaints as it has done everything I've ever needed it to do.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Another vote for a Mossy 500 or Mav88. Good aftermarket upgrade availability and inexpensive. I picked up a Savage 320 pretty cheap, good shotgun, but felt just a little too cheap for me.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Not much into shotguns myself but nice to have at least one around. Fifteen years or so ago a friend needed money and called and offered a 870 Express in great shape for $100.00, I wasted no time on that deal. Went out and tried shooting some trap, not my game. Ordered a Mossburg 18 1/2" cyl bore barrel for it and now I have a great home defense shotgun. Fit was fine, the Mossburg barrel is made for the 870, no modification needed. Went with the Mossburg instead of Remington because at the time I could only find Remington in 20 1/2". You probably won't find a deal like that but it would be an option. Jim.

Top Bottom