• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    View attachment 106053

Not a picture of my exact bottle but I can't wait to crack mine open! I still have about 13 years until then though! I think I posted about it in this thread years back but my plan is to save it until my son turns 21 and to crack it open together.
    You may want to wax over/around the cap and keep it in a dark cabinet. Whiskey does not age in the bottle, but it can be damaged by too much heat, sunlight, etc that causes some to evaporate out of the cork/rubber seal.

BTW, that is a nice bottle of good bourbon. Enjoy in 13 years.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    You may want to wax over/around the cap and keep it in a dark cabinet. Whiskey does not age in the bottle, but it can be damaged by too much heat, sunlight, etc that causes some to evaporate out of the cork/rubber seal.

BTW, that is a nice bottle of good bourbon. Enjoy in 13 years.
    It's in my cool basement in a cabinet. I haven't thought about waxing around cap though. Thanks for the idea... I'll look into that!

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    Tried to read through a bit of the post looking for this one. But I came across a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. Dated from 2012. Evan has the oldest distillery in the US. It's not the priceiest or the fanciest but has a great smooth taste to it. I've had the regular Evans before. This has more depth to it.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Just a quick tip for people who enjoy manhattans etc -- Costco pretty consistently has 1792 for 25/btl. It's not a rare allocated etc, but for a base for classic cocktails it's great, and $25 is a great price for it.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    20210109-141808.jpg

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Just a quick tip for people who enjoy manhattans etc -- Costco pretty consistently has 1792 for 25/btl. It's not a rare allocated etc, but for a base for classic cocktails it's great, and $25 is a great price for it.
    And you don't need a membership to purchase alcohol at Costco or Sam's. (I think it's that Indiana won't allow the membership requirement, but I read it on the signs in the stores.)

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm pretty sure if you enjoy Beam products, you'll enjoy Yellowstone which reminds me of a smokey Jim Beam. For the price and hype, it's a no for me (2nd bottle). I'd happily trade this bottle, for something like Elijah Craig Small Batch, easily. 20210117_210250.jpg

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    View attachment 106053

Not a picture of my exact bottle but I can't wait to crack mine open! I still have about 13 years until then though! I think I posted about it in this thread years back but my plan is to save it until my son turns 21 and to crack it open together.
    Years ago I purchased a bottle of Pinch (scotch), bases on the tax stamp, that was distilled in my birth year and bottled after aging. I was saving it for a memorable occasion. After 72 years I really doubt that it will be fit to drink. It was sealed with a wired cork.

For cheap bourbon, I really like VERY OLD BARTON 100 Proof.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    I'm starting to get into bourbons. I generally drink either an Irish, or scotch whiskey. Usually blended stuff because I'm paying my dues at the moment. I've found that I really enjoy basil Haydens. Can anyone recommend something similar? I'm looking to expand my horizons.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm starting to get into bourbons. I generally drink either an Irish, or scotch whiskey. Usually blended stuff because I'm paying my dues at the moment. I've found that I really enjoy basil Haydens. Can anyone recommend something similar? I'm looking to expand my horizons.

These carts aren't gospel, but can get the ball rolling.

20210118_083045.jpg

20200505_193456.jpg

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    These carts aren't gospel, but can get the ball rolling.

View attachment 121395

View attachment 121396
    Interesting. My two favorite bourbon's are basil hardens and knob creek which appear to be polar opposites!

Do any of the bourbons on that chart stand out as a good budget option for someone looking to try new bourbons?
    Edit: I misread the chart. Almost as interesting as my other point is that basil haydens is listed toward spicy rye whereas I find it to be very mellow and smooth.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Interesting. My two favorite bourbon's are basil hardens and knob creek which appear to be polar opposites!

Do any of the bourbons on that chart stand out as a good budget option for someone looking to try new bourbons?
    Edit: I misread the chart. Almost as interesting as my other point is that basil haydens is listed toward spicy rye whereas I find it to be very mellow and smooth.

Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, Makers and Makers 46, Eagle Rare, Knob Creek, all pretty budget friendly and cover a lot of ground.

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond and their single barrel also come to mind, though not on the chart.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    I’m easy. Evan Williams black label. It’s all I buy. Really good quality at a great price. Been satisfied with it for years!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I stopped by a local store on Saturday to browse. Didn't find anything higher end that I wanted so decided to slum it and try some JTS Brown Bottled in Bond. This is an $11.99 bottle, so my expectations were loooooooooow. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to find it to be not that bad. Really, nothing offensive about it. Just a middle of the road, plain old bourbon. Slightly corny, a little oaky, a little burn, but more a cinnamon burn than an alcohol burn. Not the rot gut s**t I expecting at all. I have paid MUCH more for bourbon that was A LOT worse than this.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County

Give Russels Reserve 10 year a try Very Smooth Start to finish

Top Bottom