• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Angels Envy and Makers/Whistle Pig distillers lineage... and finished in White Port barrels (never heard of that) to METALLICA blasting. Whoa!

Very interesting and found this very favorable review:

Sadly, at $100 MSRP, outside my price range... well, we'll see, cranking some Metallica puffing a Monte Cristo, I might just be hankering it.
    I was in it for $122.99

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Angels Envy and Makers/Whistle Pig distillers lineage... and finished in White Port barrels (never heard of that) to METALLICA blasting. Whoa!

Very interesting and found this very favorable review:

Sadly, at $100 MSRP, outside my price range... well, we'll see, cranking some Metallica puffing a Monte Cristo, I might just be hankering it.
    Great link.

This guy says it better than me.

“But there’s an elephant in the room – 1) what the heck is white port, and 2) what does it bring to bourbon? The overly simple answer is that it’s a fortified wine (from Portugal) that uses green instead of red grapes. It’s still fortified with brandy and often aged in oak casks, so you still can get a lot of sweetness and some oak influence.”

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Made a trip back to Indiana this past week and found a $100 gift card from Total Wine buried in my wallet. Received it as a retirement gift and with the out of state move occupying all of my time, I forgot all about it.
    There was nothing big dollar on their shelf that excited me so I went with a couple solid, everyday sippers (BT and FR), and then, something new to me.
    I went a bit over the gift card, so if I may gentelmen, allow me to show you what $2.17 buys you these days, lol.
    Cheers!
    20230128_174233.jpg

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Ok INGO I want to see if there is something out there I have skipped over in the bourbon category that I need to try. What's some of your favorites under $50? My top two in that price range are currently Woodford Reserve and Bulleit Bourbon.
    Rebel is pretty damn good. Ive seen it pretty cheap at 20 bucks up to 60 depending where your at

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Had dinner at Westfork last weekend and sampled a few things. Ended up with a bottle of smoked cherry wheat whiskey for $40. Not bourbon, but I figured you wouldn’t throw me out of the thread for it. Lots of Indiana distilleries putting out great products that are discouraging me from bottle hunting the allocated stuff.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I bought Wild Turkey Rare Breed recently for the first time. Being fairly new to bourbons, I didn't think my palette had advanced enough to really appreciate it when I tasted it the first time. A few days later I went back to some cheaper bourbon and my first thought was it didn't taste as good as what I previously thought. Then the light bulb came on in my head and I pulled out the Rare Breed for another taste. It was then I realized I could tell a difference, I just hadn't tasted some really god stuff until the Rare Breed. Wish I could find the Rare Breed cheaper than $55. Anyone else in central Indiana find it cheaper?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I was able to try Weller Full Proof for the first time last Saturday night at a little whiskey bar, built out of a storage container, at the east end of Freemont Street in Vegas. It was under $50... For a glass.

It was a generous poor and only set me back $30. Which with Vegas drink prices, ain't bad at all.

Really great place if you're ever in the neighborhood...

Oak and Ivy

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    I bought Wild Turkey Rare Breed recently for the first time. Being fairly new to bourbons, I didn't think my palette had advanced enough to really appreciate it when I tasted it the first time. A few days later I went back to some cheaper bourbon and my first thought was it didn't taste as good as what I previously thought. Then the light bulb came on in my head and I pulled out the Rare Breed for another taste. It was then I realized I could tell a difference, I just hadn't tasted some really god stuff until the Rare Breed. Wish I could find the Rare Breed cheaper than $55. Anyone else in central Indiana find it cheaper?
    Excellent Choice on WTRB-1 of my Favs.
    Usually North of $50 down in this area, too.
    I also tried a Taste Comparison test recently: Jim Beam vs WTRB
    Only result I can attest to For Sure is I got Snockered! lol

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I had a Jamison period a few years back. Then I tired Tullamore DEW and have switched over to that for good. They had some a couple years back that was aged in rum casks and it was even a touch sweeter. I’m kind of a sissy so I liked that even more! Another Irish I have found I like is Teelings. I think I, low on that. Need to grab another bottle.
    My wonderful daughter got me a bottle of Tullamore DEW triple distilled as a late Christmas gift and yes, it is a really nice Irish Whiskey!

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    38D802B7-76AF-4331-B132-B71BD8D2A068.jpeg

So the Evan Williams white label BiB I had heard scored well on blind taste tests, and was under $22 at my LLS. I figured if I didn't like it neat, it would go to the mixer shelf. First pour, I was not impressed, HOWEVER, after it sat and aired a bit for a couple weeks, it's a pretty good pour. Had an early software install the following morning, so stopped at one... but didn't want to! :) Not just "good for the price", IMO, just plain good! And, with this at 100 proof (and MM 101 below), my "standard" Basil Hayden's is starting to taste a little watered down.

So, the MM 101, I was looking for the MM 46 @Ingomike recommended, which I cannot find anywhere unless it's French Oaked, and was at Meijer's on a day off when their distributor was stocking. Chatted and he recommended the 101 which he said at $25.99 was a steal at that price, and likely to disappear ASAP. Similar to the EW BiB, I was not impressed with the first pour. However, 6 weeks later with some air in the bottle, this is pretty darn nice! Like three pours in one night, better stop now or I'm not gonna stop, nice! Lol!

I haven't uncorked the Elijah Craig 12-year Barrel Strength (not under $50, it was $61 + tax) yet. Plan on waiting to share it with some buddies, but am wondering if it would benefit from an initial pour and some air.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom