• ...and so much more!
  • model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    i prefer a good cognac, so naturally angels envy is the easy bourbon choice - but damn I love a good rye, too. definitely still developing a palate and taste for the finer notes though.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    i prefer a good cognac, so naturally angels envy is the easy bourbon choice - but damn I love a good rye, too. definitely still developing a palate and taste for the finer notes though.
    Angels Envy finished Rye is some seriously good stuff. Expensive, but worth it imho.

Blantons is good if you can get it for retail. Eagle Rare is better at half the price.

For really cheap, but very drinkable, I would suggest First Call in the1.75.

I have a 5gal cask for blending, and First Call is the cheapest I add, but far from the worst.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I will say, for a local - Cardinal Spirits of btown had a single barrel bourbon that really surprised me with how drinkable it was neat from a yeti cup at deer camp, lol. It was right at $50 for a bottle back in 2020 I think

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Enjoying a slice of pumpkin spice cheesecake with a couple fingers of Henry Sipes double oaked, barrel smoked rye.
    A bit pricy at 60ish, but with a rather unique flavor profile that sips like a dry wine, then finishes smooth and smoky, with just a touch of sweet.
    Pairs very well with the pumpkin spice and the tang of the cheesecake.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Enjoying a slice of pumpkin spice cheesecake with a couple fingers of Henry Sipes double oaked, barrel smoked rye.
    A bit pricy at 60ish, but with a rather unique flavor profile that sips like a dry wine, then finishes smooth and smoky, with just a touch of sweet.
    Pairs very well with the pumpkin spice and the tang of the cheesecake.

I love Henry Sipes

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Heads up guys!

2 people on a Facebook bourbon group just scored bottles of Old Forester Birthday bourbon for pretty damn close to msrp. One at a Costco, the other at a Meijer near Marion IN iirc.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Heads up guys!

2 people on a Facebook bourbon group just scored bottles of Old Forester Birthday bourbon for pretty damn close to msrp. One at a Costco, the other at a Meijer near Marion IN iirc.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    I pick up my Birthday Bourbon for MSRP every year. Been doing it every year for a very long time. I remember when it was $39 and dust collected on the bottles because nobody wanted it.

I open a new one every year, on my birthday

702A1617-AF91-46C9-AEB9-5652161E1D8E.jpeg

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Anyone have thoughts or tasting notes on Heaven's Door?

FWIW, my own tastes (for drinking neat) lean towards the wheated bourbons with favorites being Weller, Basil Haydens, Eagle Rare and I've had a glass of Blanton's which I really liked and would like a bottle, but only if I can find it at retail. My value bottles are Larceny and Elijah Craig.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

FWIW, my own tastes (for drinking neat) lean towards the wheated bourbons with favorites being Weller, Basil Haydens, Eagle Rare and I've had a glass of Blanton's which I really liked and would like a bottle, but only if I can find it at retail. My value bottles are Larceny and Elijah Craig.
    Blanton's is pretty easy to find, at MSRP, around here if you shop hard enough for it or make a good connection at a well stocked shop. Eagle Rare seems to be the hardest one to find lately, and I'm not sure why, but then I've never been a fan. Weller is pretty hard to get, seems to come in periodically and then vanish even faster.

I measure all the wheated offerings against Maker's Mark. MM is also a great value bottle. Weller, if it can be found, beats it, and is lower priced, which I find unbelievable.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Blanton's is pretty easy to find, at MSRP, around here if you shop hard enough for it or make a good connection at a well stocked shop. Eagle Rare seems to be the hardest one to find lately, and I'm not sure why, but then I've never been a fan. Weller is pretty hard to get, seems to come in periodically and then vanish even faster.

I measure all the wheated offerings against Maker's Mark. MM is also a great value bottle. Weller, if it can be found, beats it, and is lower priced, which I find unbelievable.
    The Eagle Rare I had was a single barrel select that I just lucked upon. I think it was the second bottle I ever bought, lol! Though I saved that to share with my future SIL. To good effect! :)

I helped a friend's wife score a local bottle of Eagle Rare for his bday, and he was like it was just ok. He loved the last third of the Weller bottle I shared with him. Anyhow, makes me think I should only look for good select barrels for the Eagle Rare.

The Weller was also a very early, I wish I had a bottle now to compare side-by-side with the Basil Hayden's which is my current favorite. I had a glass of Blanton's while out to dinner and it reminded me of the first time I tried both Weller and Basil... just plain wonderful! Lol!

Any thought's on Heaven's Door?

heavensdoor.jpeg

I've not developed a taste for rye yet, unless it's it OGD or Wild Turkey 101 in an old fashioned... really like the spice there! But not neat... yet.

Last edited:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison

I have tried Heavens Door and really enjoyed it. Sadly I don’t recall specific tasting notes other than it being an easy drinker with a smooth finish.

I was not impressed with their Route 66 offering though.

My tastes seem to be running towards high rye bills of late, but I think the Heavens
    Door bourbon would appeal to wheated fans as well.

Top Bottom