• ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Ok, here's my experience from the last 3 weeks+ as a bourbon newb... and maybe some help from the experienced bourbon folks.

First I tried Larceny. After my palate adjusted to the alcohol burn, got past the "fire water" part, and figured out how much of a splash of water I needed, I started tasting all the caramel/toffee and vanilla... and really liked it and drank a wee bit much!

Then, I tried the Weller Reserve... same thing but a bit better and the same price, maybe a couple bucks cheaper than the Larceny where I'm staying. If I can find more of this, this will be my standard, thought I. Again, had a bit more than I intended... still haven't figured out how to reach a nice happy buzz plateau and then just sustain it.

Then something weird happened. I would alternate between them for a nightcap and the Larceny flavor would "lock in" after a few sips, but the Weller never would again for me. I tried water, bread, crackers, cheese... even a steak, and I never got the same flavor from the Weller again, but the Larceny, same flavors as the first time. smh.

Along the way, I tried the Elijah Craig Small Batch single barrels store select, and that was pretty darn good. Similar to the other two, but with an additional smokey/earthy note that reminded me of the one time a buddy gave me some good, smooth single malt scotch. Not quite "peat" but close. Tried it on a few other nights, and it also "locked in" after a few sips.

Holding off opening the Eagle Rare Single Barrel Select for a special occasion that I believe maybe coming up in May.

But still trying to grock what the deal was with my palate and Weller?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    The first couple pours off a freshly opened bottle (neck pour), is rarely a true indication of the flavor that bottle has to offer. Not saying it's better or worse, just different, enjoy them for what they are.
    The consistency in the same bottle you're referring to is so subjective and varying. You'll have to find this part out for yourself. When I get "tongue burnt", I try small sips of water between smaller sips of the bourbon. I'll also change up the bottle, trying to vary the proof point too.
    Food doesn't clense my pallet, only water or time away from the bottle does.
    Some of this may work or none of it may work for ya , you'll have to figure this part out for yourself.
    Just remember, there's no right way or wrong way to enjoy this, your way is the right way for you.
    Cheers!

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Thanks, @jerrob , I will try that... might be just what I need to drink it neat, or with just a couple drops of water, rather than a splash.

I can say that all three of the bourbons I've bought, I really liked once my palate "turned on". It was something of a revelation that first time I actually tasted the flavors instead of the alcohol.

Ok, I get it now! :)

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Thanks, @jerrob , I will try that... might be just what I need to drink it neat, or with just a couple drops of water, rather than a splash.

I can say that all three of the bourbons I've bought, I really liked once my palate "turned on". It was something of a revelation that first time I actually tasted the flavors instead of the alcohol.

Ok, I get it now! :)
    Larceny is highly underated bourbon for the price very good. If you can find the barrel proof Larceny its up there with EC barrel proof if not better. As for Weller and Larceny both are wheated mashbills at 20% wheat. One is now highly overpriced most of the time because it is considered a baby Pappy Van Winkle but still none the less very much desirable.

As Jerrob says above sometimes the middle of the bottle can really open it up as for the flavor profile.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Larceny is highly underated bourbon for the price very good. If you can find the barrel proof Larceny its up there with EC barrel proof if not better. As for Weller and Larceny both are wheated mashbills at 20% wheat. One is now highly overpriced most of the time because it is considered a baby Pappy Van Winkle but still none the less very much desirable.

I liked the Larceny and happily bought another bottle... I did have a little help on the first one. Pretty darned good at a really good price... I'm all over that! (maybe a best under $30 thread, lol)

Even though I got the Weller (allocated) at retail, about $25 including tax, I'm not gung-ho to get another, even at retail. Maybe if I figure out how to get back to that "magical" first tasting I had, lol!

I'll probably stay away from barrel proof until I can rely on my palate when drinking neat... I'd hate to be splashing water into a barrel proof. Yikes!

As Jerrob says above sometimes the middle of the bottle can really open it up as for the flavor profile.
    The way some of this parallels red wines... it's really got me thinking about maybe getting a decanter.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Couldn't bring this one in under the $50 mark. I spent $60 in fuel trying, lol...........take that environment. View attachment 133333
    Lot of noise being made about this one and had to see for myself.
    I've been a fan of their 100 proof for a while now. Good stuff especially for the price. I'm about half way through a bottle of the 1920 and I must say IMO it's worth the difference.

JJenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    I used to drink Russell’s Reserve for my go to Bourbon but I have recently found Rebel’s 100 for $33 .
    E3A3971C-76EE-4247-A02D-0C793A2C4DF7.jpeg E3A3971C-76EE-4247-A02D-0C793A2C4DF7.jpeg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have long advocated for Evan Williams Single Barrel as one of the best things out there for under $50, really under $30. Bought a new bottle last week and it's just not good. Such is life with single barrels.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have long advocated for Evan Williams Single Barrel as one of the best things out there for under $50, really under $30. Bought a new bottle last week and it's just not good. Such is life with single barrels.
    Ive seen them as low as 21.99 in some larger stores. Ive only had 2 bottles both 2012 bottled and both were very good. Sucks you had a crappy one hate to hear it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Ive seen them as low as 21.99 in some larger stores. Ive only had 2 bottles both 2012 bottled and both were very good. Sucks you had a crappy one hate to hear it.

Other than Blantons, most single barrels will occasionally produce a dud.

The worst one, from an inconsistency standpoint, that I've have is New Riff SB. They are ALL over the map. Like from HOLY S**T this is amazing to pour that s**t down the drain. Their non single barrel is pretty good, but never amazing.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Meijer gets restocks on those unicorns once a month I hear at least the Blantons, EH Taylor, and Eagle Rare. Ive always been told the Avon location is the ticket.
    Must be just your Meijers, I'm at the McCordsville store twice per week and there's seldom anything new, and when there is, it isn't a unicorn by any stretch of the imagination.
    On the plus side, Meijers tends to have the best price on my essentials, E. Craig, Wild Turkey 101 and Gentleman Jack, so there's that perk that keeps my ****-n-moan meter outta the red.
    Cheers.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Must be just your Meijers, I'm at the McCordsville store twice per week and there's seldom anything new, and when there is, it isn't a unicorn by any stretch of the imagination.
    On the plus side, Meijers tends to have the best price on my essentials, E. Craig, Wild Turkey 101 and Gentleman Jack, so there's that perk that keeps my ****-n-moan meter outta the red.
    Cheers.
    Ive never been to the Avon store just hear it always gets most of the good stuff for some reason. Im down south and check the Franklin Meijer a few times a month and every once in a while I Score!!!!

Top Bottom