• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I shopped the big Big Red in btown today and couldn’t believe the prices. they had a few interesting bottles but prices that are laughably inflated even compared to local Kroger
    A bartender friend told me recently that their wholesale liquor prices are rising faster than their customers can accept the reality of the rising prices. Kroger likely has bigger long term contracts giving them the ability to get better pricing. I also suspect Kroger sells at near state minimum prices and has very little profit because they make money on other items.

I have been told that the reason the Kroger, Meijer, and other big box stores got into higher end liquor was the traffic it generated, not profit...

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    IMG_3902.jpg
    I picked up one of the three newly released bourbons at Hard Truth last Saturday. I wanted to buy all three, but didn't want to spend $160. I tried all three, but they were tiny sample cups. I need more than that to really know how it is. I figured I would start with the least expensive at $45. I definitely prefer their Sweet Mash Rye and High Road Rye over this, but it is still good. Is it $45 good? Not to me when that puts it close to Knob Creek Single Barrel price range.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I shopped the big Big Red in btown today and couldn’t believe the prices. they had a few interesting bottles but prices that are laughably inflated even compared to local Kroger
    Big Red does have high prices. I shop their sales, which are decent deals. Right now they have Knob Creek 9 for $18.39, which is a great price, in my opinion. I try to give my business to Red Barrel in Mooresville. Family owned store that offers great store picks. They don't mark up prices and they host great bourbon events too where you can have a chance at some rare bottles.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Don’t know if it’s been posted so, I love Indiana. Had the wife stop to pick up a weekend bourbon, I’m down to stockpile scotch. They were sampling the new release Yellowstone 108. They gave her 1 of the 3 in a plastic shot glass to bring home. She brought me the plain jane 108.

So, first off it could use decanting, it’s a mite hot. But at 108 fresh out of the bottle that’s to be expected. I got honey, walnuts, oak and some kind of fruit. After a breath or two, got smoke, guessing that’s from the char in the barrels. Would I buy it? Most definitely I’m going to get one to try. Am I calling it one of the best under 50, not yet. Internet says MSRP is 54.00. Don’t know what the local place has on it. But it’s good enough that I’m gonna try it. :twocents:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So after years of bourbon I am learning that all is not as it seems. The hype is just that, hype. The Pappy that won the accolades was a one off that was purchased from Wild Turkey. Subsequent Pappy was procured from Stizel/Weller and was actually distilled by Julian the second and purchased by Julian the third and sold as Pappy until it ran out.

Then Julian the third entered into a deal with Buffalo Trace to make Pappy for him after the Stizel/Weller juice ran out. The original S/W juice was from a living yeast culture that the conglomerate killed off in the 70’s. Pappy as it was will never be available ever again.

It may be great but it is not what it once was…

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So after years of bourbon I am learning that all is not as it seems. The hype is just that, hype. The Pappy that won the accolades was a one off that was purchased from Wild Turkey. Subsequent Pappy was procured from Stizel/Weller and was actually distilled by Julian the second and purchased by Julian the third and sold as Pappy until it ran out.

Then Julian the third entered into a deal with Buffalo Trace to make Pappy for him after the Stizel/Weller juice ran out. The original S/W juice was from a living yeast culture that the conglomerate killed off in the 70’s. Pappy as it was will never be available ever again.

It may be great but it is not what it once was…

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    IMG_1863.jpeg

almost passed on Kroger deal this time but then found some good wines at the large store in Bloomington (KroGucci). I didn’t get too wild though. In fact I even had EC SB Kroger exclusive ($79ish) in my cart but decided to put it back. But I’m about to sip on Heaven Hill and sip on some Joe’s blend from The Briar and The Burley, and sit on my porch for the rest of the evening. birds are singing and maybe a chance of rainy weather later.

happy Easter to y’all. hope it’s a relaxing Sunday for ya. cheers.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    View attachment 343844

almost passed on Kroger deal this time but then found some good wines at the large store in Bloomington (KroGucci). I didn’t get too wild though. In fact I even had EC SB Kroger exclusive ($79ish) in my cart but decided to put it back. But I’m about to sip on Heaven Hill and sip on some Joe’s blend from The Briar and The Burley, and sit on my porch for the rest of the evening. birds are singing and maybe a chance of rainy weather later.

happy Easter to y’all. hope it’s a relaxing Sunday for ya. cheers.
    Bloomington always seems to have a decent selection.

I stopped by Mooresville as I was out and about and wish I hadn't. A very limited selection, so 2 Woodford (not double oaked), 2 Angles Envy and 2 EC.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Bloomington always seems to have a decent selection.

I stopped by Mooresville as I was out and about and wish I hadn't. A very limited selection, so 2 Woodford (not double oaked), 2 Angles Envy and 2 EC.
    not a bad haul, for discount especially.

the sommelier at KroGucci explained a lot about their ordering process at the larger stores. it’s surprising what they will get in and what they can order for you. said he has one guy that places an order of four figure bottles and such totaling just above $10k but after the 15% discount it comes out to just under the limit for reporting to IRS lol

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    View attachment 342636
    I picked up one of the three newly released bourbons at Hard Truth last Saturday. I wanted to buy all three, but didn't want to spend $160. I tried all three, but they were tiny sample cups. I need more than that to really know how it is. I figured I would start with the least expensive at $45. I definitely prefer their Sweet Mash Rye and High Road Rye over this, but it is still good. Is it $45 good? Not to me when that puts it close to Knob Creek Single Barrel price range.
    I bought a bottle of hard truth peanut butter whiskey (don’t judge me! Only god can judge me and you ain’t god!), and I have to say it’s unbelievably good! Got it on a Friday and Sunday night I killed the bottle! At Walmart it was around 25 bucks!

To regain my man card I was at Walmart last Saturday and picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace (25 bucks)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I bought a bottle of hard truth peanut butter whiskey (don’t judge me! Only god can judge me and you ain’t god!), and I have to say it’s unbelievably good!...
    jesus-says-no-jesus-christ.gif

:D

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I bought a bottle of hard truth peanut butter whiskey (don’t judge me! Only god can judge me and you ain’t god!), and I have to say it’s unbelievably good! Got it on a Friday and Sunday night I killed the bottle! At Walmart it was around 25 bucks!

To regain my man card I was at Walmart last Saturday and picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace (25 bucks)

I like it better than Screwball! A more peanut flavor imo.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Not sure how many of you follow breakingbourbon.com which has sone of the best Bourbon reviews IMO, but their new piece I feel is where the market is going where the finishing gimmicks are being phased out. Craft distillers have brought this out. Check out Bourbon's Next Era.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’m ~15 min away from cracking open a brand new bottle of Wild Turkey 101. Maybe not the best but I want to save the good stuff for a few friends Monday. I know it’s heavy rye and pretty hot fresh out of the bottle. But that’s where I am.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Daughter picked this up for me at Big Red last week. Seems to be the new hotness on bourbon social media. It's OK. Though IMHO not worth $50...

kkXTgVzl.jpg

Reactions: Mij

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Daughter picked this up for me at Big Red last week. Seems to be the new hotness on bourbon social media. It's OK. Though IMHO not worth $50...

kkXTgVzl.jpg
    Same. Had it a while back. I'd take Old Grand Dad over that 365 days a year.

Top Bottom