• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris08110

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Any suggestions on the best value for the money bag to buy for a my BOB? I've seen some people use Mil Surplus molle type stuff and others use store bought backpacking packs. Any suggestions for the best value and most efficient?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This is my pack Alpine Xpress Backpack

It is large enough to carry what I want but not to large.It also has other features I like. It has a built in rain fly.The rain fly not only works,but if it is actually raining and your pack does not have one you may as well toss another 10 lbs in it,because that is the weight of water you are going to be carrying. The shoulder straps are decent and the belt is excellent.It also does not scream tactical,which is a good thing in my mind.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    My dad and I picked up a couple of mil issue molle packs at the 1500 for $40 each. It has plenty of compartments and attachment points for everything I need.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    A good pack carries the weight on your hips not shoulders.A pack that carries all the weight on your shoulders will become uncomfortable after a short distance and wear you out much more quickly.I would look at size first,then how the pack carries the weight.A hip belt is a must for any pack I plan on wearing for more than a few hours.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I bought a pack that I thought looked and sounded tough. I don't have a link for it, but it was called an "assault pack" or a "3 day pack", I forget which. Anyways, it is falling apart in less than a year, and cost about $50. It has about 3 compartments, and has molle webbing on the very back and the sides. If you are wanting a pack like this, I would recommend getting one of the more expensive ($125+) packs. There are also internal framed packs designed for hunting that seem interesting. All in all, I am going to be buying an A.L.I.C.E. pack (large) with an external frame and giving it a shot. From what I gather, I shouldn't be let down....

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I have an Osprey Talon 44 that I use for backpacking, and would not hesitate to grab as a BOB. It has tons of room, extremely lightweight, comfortable, and has "airscape" which lets air flow between your back and the pack.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought a pack that I thought looked and sounded tough. I don't have a link for it, but it was called an "assault pack" or a "3 day pack", I forget which. Anyways, it is falling apart in less than a year, and cost about $50. It has about 3 compartments, and has molle webbing on the very back and the sides. If you are wanting a pack like this, I would recommend getting one of the more expensive ($125+) packs. There are also internal framed packs designed for hunting that seem interesting. All in all, I am going to be buying an A.L.I.C.E. pack (large) with an external frame and giving it a shot. From what I gather, I shouldn't be let down....
    :+1: This is what i use

RUSH 72 Backpack | Bags / Backpacks | 5.11 Tactical

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For a three day style pack I highly recommend the Spec-Ops brand "T.H.E. Pack. Been beating the hell out of mine for 5 years. Still going strong. This is my packs third deployment.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/images/products/LGpack_12.jpg

Features & Benefits:

• Made from super durable 1000D. Cordura® Nylon fabric (by far the toughest 1000D nylon fabric on the market today).
    • Huge YKK #10 zippers on main compartment and large outer pockets.
    • Double Layer Pack Top eliminates stress failure associated with excessive use of carry/drag handle.
    • Dual Compression Straps with integrated load loops on pocket faces.
    • Removable 2" waist belt with "Endless" adjustment - no flapping straps!
    • Dual External Access port covers.
    • Compatible with Spec-Ops® Brand X-SYSTEM and incorporates our MTX SHOULDER HARNESS SYSTEM
    • PACK DIMENSIONS: 19" high, 13" wide, 12" thick at bottom tapering to 9" at top. MAIN COMPARTMENT: 19"high x 13" wide x 7" thick @ 1730 cubic inches. TOP POCKET: 8" high x 10" wide x 2.5" thick @ 250 cubic inches. BOTTOM POCKET: 10" high x 12" wide x 3.5" thick @ 570 cubic inches. TOTAL CAPACITY: 2550 cubic inches.
    • Backed by Spec.-Ops. Brand’s unique lifetime guarantee.
    For something larger I prefer the ALICE style pack. For this I highly recommend the Malice Pack made by Tactical Tailor...

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ProductImages/packs/350/30011-1_front_350x350.jpg

The MALICE Pack, an acronym for Modified ALICE, is Tactical Tailor's improved version of the military issue large ALICE Pack. Our pack takes the proven design of the decades-old ALICE Pack and brings into the 21st century and beyond. We started by constructing the entire pack out of 1000 denier Cordura Nylon and reinforcing the high stress areas of the pack. Accessing the pack has been made easier and faster by replacing the snaps on the three main outside pockets with quick-release Fastex buckles and adding the same buckles to the main straps. The hook and loop opening on the top flap has been replaced with a zipper and an 8" x 12" x 4" Claymore pocket has been added to the top of the flap. The pack also features a storm flap, carry handle and drain holes in all pockets. Fully compatible with issue ALICE pack frame, straps and belt.Available in Coyote Brown, OD, ACU and Multicam.

PLEASE NOTE:The following ruck modifications are already included with all MALICE Packs: Storm Flap, Carry Handle, Reinforce Stress Points and Claymore Pocket. It is not necessary to order any of these mods when ordering a Version 2 or Version 3 MALICE Pack.
    Dimensions are approximate
    Dimensions: 21" tall x 14" wide x 11" deep
    MALICE 3 Extension: 11" tall

MALICE Pack Version 2:
    The MALICE Pack Version 2 (pictured) features the standard Claymore pocket, storm flap and carry handle. The front of the pack features two 6" x 7" x 4" and one 8" x 12" by 4" zippered pockets and on both sides are 7" x 10" x 4" zippered pockets.
    Main Compartment Capacity: 3276 cu. in.
    Total Capacity: 4556 cu. in.

MALICE Pack Version 3:
    The MALICE Pack Version 3 is the same as the Version 2 but the zippered pocket on the left side of the pack is replaced by a 7" x 18" x 4" hydration pocket and a sleeping bag compartment has been added to the bottom of the pack with three cinch straps.
    Main Compartment Capacity: 3276 cu. in.
    Total Capacity: 6474 cu. in.

ALL MALICE PACKS ARE MADE IN THE USA

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    How much is too much, how old are you, condition etc.

My abilities have deteriorated with age (now 71). Last year I went from a Medium Alice pack to a mini-alice pack plus my many pockets vest and a 2 guart canteen and a shoulder bag I keep in the truck.

Total weight of my pack and vest about 20# plus canteen.

My medium alice pack used to be about 33# plus canteen.

If you are younger and in good condition you can probably do 45-50#.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    How much is too much, how old are you, condition etc.

My abilities have deteriorated with age (now 71). Last year I went from a Medium Alice pack to a mini-alice pack plus my many pockets vest and a 2 guart canteen and a shoulder bag I keep in the truck.

Total weight of my pack and vest about 20# plus canteen.

My medium alice pack used to be about 33# plus canteen.

If you are younger and in good condition you can probably do 45-50#.

If you are under 35 and have been training you should be able to do 70lbs for 20 miles a day.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I have an Osprey Talon 44 that I use for backpacking, and would not hesitate to grab as a BOB. It has tons of room, extremely lightweight, comfortable, and has "airscape" which lets air flow between your back and the pack.

+1 on the Osprey packs. These are very comfortable! I have a couple in the 55L to 75L(?) I bought for myself and daughter. I am going to donate mine to her boyfriend and upgrade mine to a Kifaru pack. I would like to have some outside packets, which the Osprey does not have. However, the Kifaru packs have a lot of options to tweak for personal preferences.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have a Camelbak BFM and it is my pack but I am working on a couple surplus Alice packs for immediate family to keep costs down. I bought my BFM for $50 new with the tags because the guy didn't want the desert camo so it was a heck of a deal for the Camelbak. Whatever pack you get I would reccomend something in black of a khaki and not in camo due to it standing out which is why I am covering mine with a different color MOLLE gear so it doesn't stick out.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

I have a Medium A.L.I.C.E and have had it for longer then I can remember. No problem's at all, even when I was in Woodland Search and Rescue and throwing it all over the place I never had any issue's.

A large is a lot larger then you think though. My medium was plenty for extra water, foor for 3 day's, gear, ect ect. I had my sleeping bag hanging off the bottom and sleeping pad on the top and cammel back straped to the back of it.... just FYI.

Top Bottom