• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So reading through this again it looks like Lancer L5 is top rated. There are several others Pmags m3 and m2, Okay surefeed, look to be up in the top 4 as well. D&H is definitely in the top running as well.

Looks like this
    #1 Lancer L5
    #2 Okay Surefeed E2, Pmag M2, and M3
    #3 D&H, Good USGI Amend 2, and Troy

Let me know if this is a proper list and in proper order.

I wish I knew how to make this a poll. I would have. So I'm doing my best to find the best most reliable mags to post in the original post. So all your help will help me to help others.

Last edited:

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I prefer Magpul and GI. GI mags have a National Stock Number (NSN) and other info on the packaging that an old USAF Supply Troop can explain in detail to unsuspecting folks.

Magpul nags got a NSN as well so units could buy them w their unit CC before deploying. I also seem to recall the USMC going entirely Magpul, if my tired brain is right. Course, that entire service just committed to suppressors for all the line troops.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Magpul nags got a NSN as well so units could buy them w their unit CC before deploying. I also seem to recall the USMC going entirely Magpul, if my tired brain is right. Course, that entire service just committed to suppressors for all the line troops.
    :D More opportunity! I haven't bought any PMags with an NSN on the packaging, but it makes sense they are out there since PMags are in fact, GI.

The first four numbers (1005) of the NSN are the Federal Supply Class (FSC). The 1005 FSC identifies weapons, parts, and components for weapons less than 40MM.

Ya'll are lucky, I've been out of Supply for 21 years! :D

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    D&H or usgi with magpul followers are all I've ever used and I've never had a problem out of 9 with any of my 15's ranging from Frankenstein poverty pony to a Savage (the guys who use to be bushmaster). I've had the same ones for years and the only trouble is that when they're new loading a full 30 round on a closed bolt needed a little umph to get it seated. I've also used those mags with 5.56 followers for 300blk without issue before realizing I was supposed to use a different mag. Ymmv of course. Also recommend the ranger magpuls. They're solid and have worked for me for years as well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thank you all keep the recommendations coming. I'm sure this will help people in the future as to what mags to grab. I just picked up a black Lancer L5 at lgs $16.99+ tax. Can't wait to give it a tryout. I have not seen any Okay Surefeed mags anywhere lately. Does anyone have a link to some that are in stock? I'd like to get a few to try out myself.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    D&H aluminum have been good. I still have original patent pending Pmags, from back in the day that work fine. Gen 2 &3 have been fine. Okay Industries aluminum have been fine too.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I like my okay surefeeds. I buy pmags and stack'em but I keep my surefeeds for serious work. I still have a couple that made it back with me after the corps. That's what sitting bedside everynight.

Those who don't care for GI Mags , I'm just a PM away. :)
    SAME!!!

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    I buy mainly surefeeds and pmag for my "serious use" but for curiosity sake I've purchased a hex, lancer,mft,utg and amend2 and none have failed but still consider them range mags

Saw hera mags on bigdaddy for 8.99 and had to try them , they have extra space so they load a full mag in a closed bolt really well (not that I do that often but still cool) I've been running them with no problems to speak of , constantly dropping them on to gravel and concrete during reloads (this is by no means a measure of the durability, just saying )
    And most importantly to some they look pretty cool Haha

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    60_Round_PMAG_Magpul_D60_AR-15_556_MAG576.jpg
    gotta love the d60 though :cool:

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Personally I run Lancer L5's , with Magpul's as backups. I prefer the metal feed lips of the Lancer and the fact I can visually see how much ammo is left in the magazine at any given time.

Also had very good luck with Magpul D60 drums (everyone should have one).

^^^THIS^^^ (*without the drum mag*)

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Has anyone ever used hex mag I have always heard they had issues but it was always 2nd or 3rd hand talk at the gun shop . I have a few but have not tried them yet ,I use pmag gen2 with no problems.
    I do like hexmag. Seems to fit everything well. I have one lower that is kind of picky in what works. Their Gray mags match the gray magpul furniture perfectly (looking at you, amend2). Only gripe for me on hexmags is that the 10 rounders and 30s are the same length, with a "plug". Have to mark them well.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Not super impressed With ETS,other than the fact they are clear.
    Amend2 and MFT have been fine.

Have an old school Thermold 20rd that I got cheap at a gun show that runs like a top.

Hexmag, D&h, magpul g2/3s run well.

Have a 10rd magpul that is great for bench work, as it is super compact.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Strike Industries AR-15 Magazine (32 Rounds)​

Are these new this year? Has anyone bought these and tried them out?

Personally I'd just load 30rd up instead of 28 like I do in the 30rd magazines. A 32rd capacity would or should allow a very reliable 30rd capacity.

Top Bottom