• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billythekid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Indianapolis
    LOOKING TO BUY A AR15 BARREL 18" 1 IN 8 TWIST WANTING ACCURACY AND LONG LASTING (BUT NOT A BULL BARREL) UNTIL NOW I HAVE NEVER USED ANY THING OTHER THAN STOCK BARRELS I PLAN ON ADDING A WARBLOCK GAS BLOCK TO ADD FRONT 45DEGREE SIGHT ANY SUGGESTIONS
    THANK YOU!!!!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Excellent accuracy starts degrading at around 3k shots depending on barrel. If you are wanting sub moa accuracy. Iirc most long range match shooters replace them around 3-5k rds. I maybe wrong on the count. A rifle that isn't shooting none stop max pressure rds will last 15k or more without problems and still shoot 2 moa or less. Heck I bet some of the older m4 carbine have 50k rds and still shoot 3 moa.

That said Faxon was my go to. On the cheap side I've been using bear creek arsenal barrels so far all have been sub moa barrels. I haven't gotten close to 3k rds on the 2 I am using now. But have well over 1k and with the right ammo and me doing my part they are sub moa barrels.

Last edited:

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I have a 18" Criterion Hybrid on my 6.5 Grendel, I assume they make the same in 5.56mm.
    It may be what you are after.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    At this time Bartlein and Krieger cut rifled barrels seem to be the most popular.
    Now that does not mean a Wilson, or ..... can not shoot well also. I just had a Bartlein barrel in 6mm installed on my mid-range rifle, at the recommendation of the gentleman that installed it.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    LOOKING TO BUY A AR15 BARREL 18" 1 IN 8 TWIST WANTING ACCURACY AND LONG LASTING (BUT NOT A BULL BARREL) UNTIL NOW I HAVE NEVER USED ANY THING OTHER THAN STOCK BARRELS I PLAN ON ADDING A WARBLOCK GAS BLOCK TO ADD FRONT 45DEGREE SIGHT ANY SUGGESTIONS
    THANK YOU!!!!
    I'd say this is one of the best values going for a top-notch 18" barrel.

John himself shoots Wilson barrels in his service rifles (or did anyway). Accuracy is as good as the cut rifled barrels, but about 2/3 the match-accuracy life. Rule of thumb is 2500-3000 rounds for a button barrel before accuracy falls off at 600 yards. Cut barrel will go 3500-5000. They'll all still shoot the same tiny groups at 200 long after 600 yard accuracy starts to suffer.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Determine what your bank account allow first. Secondly if you want accuracy do not hang anything off your gas block.

Ba hansen series will give you good performance at a reasonable cost, but they won't get you consistent podiums across the course. You start paying a lot more when 1/8" starts to matter.

The thinner profile you go the more your barrel will resist heating, but take longer to cool down. Thinner profile barrels are not less accurate necessarily.

Before you put a barrel on look into a good free float hanguard. You can get an extremely accurate rifle with a traditional hg and fsp, but the consistency of your hold matters a lot.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    White Oak Armament
    I have a 18" 1-7 twist, excellent proven barrels.

If you want a matte finish they will bead blast it for a small fee.

They also run a sale in September on Talk like a pirate day, dubbed the "SpArrr Sale". Generally about $80 off

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I love Warblocks but agree with Ggreen. Don't put anything on there if going for min MOA. Get a Ti gas block to minimize mass if anything.

I've been very happy with my Faxon barrels but I'm a field rifle shooter, not bench nor serious competition.

Billythekid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I'd say this is one of the best values going for a top-notch 18" barrel.

John himself shoots Wilson barrels in his service rifles (or did anyway). Accuracy is as good as the cut rifled barrels, but about 2/3 the match-accuracy life. Rule of thumb is 2500-3000 rounds for a button barrel before accuracy falls off at 600 yards. Cut barrel will go 3500-5000. They'll all still shoot the same tiny groups at 200 long after 600 yard accuracy starts to suffer.
    THANKS FOR THE INFO

Billythekid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Determine what your bank account allow first. Secondly if you want accuracy do not hang anything off your gas block.

Ba hansen series will give you good performance at a reasonable cost, but they won't get you consistent podiums across the course. You start paying a lot more when 1/8" starts to matter.

The thinner profile you go the more your barrel will resist heating, but take longer to cool down. Thinner profile barrels are not less accurate necessarily.

Before you put a barrel on look into a good free float hanguard. You can get an extremely accurate rifle with a traditional hg and fsp, but the consistency of your hold matters a lot.
    I AM GOING WITH FREE FLOAT HAND GUARD BUT WANT FOLDING SIGHT FIXED TO BARREL YEARS AGO IS WAS DOING SOME TACTICAL SHOOTING ON THE MOVE TUMBLED DOWN A HILL THE RED DOT WENT OUT AND I BENT THE FREE FLOAT SO FRONT SIGHTS WAS USELESS

Top Bottom