• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you're on a budget, the Henry's work fine and probably have the smoothest action. If price is no object, the Winchester 9422 XTR's are a mechanical work-of-art, made between '78 and '88. Nothing wrong with the Brownings or Marlins either. Here's a pic for encouragement. Both 22 Mags, smooth stocks on the '78 and checkered on the '88. They came in 22 LR also. Please excuse the scopes - it's the only way I can see to shoot.

View attachment 264915

XTR 9422 Mag.

XTR Quality and fit finish and what checkering and high gloss finish became obtainable on a mass production line From a major (at the time) manufacturer. Kind of a cover girl who shoots like Annie Oakley.

22 MAG the 9422 was designed to be a 22 mag. Most rifles start out as a 22 LR but not the 9422. Designed around and for the 22 mag then adapted to 22 LR.

Braidis sold more chainsaws and lawn mowers when I ordered mine new and the gun store was the little revolver area they have now. Just the one small window and case. 1983. 259 dollars with a cheap scope. Brand new ordered in for me. My first rifle at 18 purchase outside of dad gifting me one.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Braidis sold more chainsaws and lawn mowers when I ordered mine new and the gun store was the little revolver area they have now. Just the one small window and case. 1983. 259 dollars with a cheap scope. Brand new ordered in for me. My first rifle at 18 purchase outside of dad gifting me one.

Curious if you still have that 1st one? Yes, the 9422 is really the reason I havn't bought a 39a yet. I got the two magnums 1st, and then later, the same years XTR's in 22 LR.

I envy your having that much to spend on your 1st. My first was a Marlin (Glenfield) 75c. $73.00 with a box of ammo, at the Ben Franklin Five & Dime general store. Road my bike to get it, plopped down my $$ and grabbed it up. Best bike ride of my life, at 15 years old. My little brother still slings that rifle down south in the piney woods.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Curious if you still have that 1st one? Yes, the 9422 is really the reason I havn't bought a 39a yet. I got the two magnums 1st, and then later, the same years XTR's in 22 LR.

I envy your having that much to spend on your 1st. My first was a Marlin (Glenfield) 75c. $73.00 with a box of ammo, at the Ben Franklin Five & Dime general store. Road my bike to get it, plopped down my $$ and grabbed it up. Best bike ride of my life, at 15 years old. My little brother still slings that rifle down south in the piney woods.

I still have the XTR and always will have. I saved all summer a bit at a time. Then I used some Christmas cash to get me over the top. I have always been a lever gun guy and mainly 22’s. Almost purchased the marlin 1894m but the XTR seemed miles above the 1894m.

I have some nice levers now the 9422M XTR still one of the best.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Of the suggested I have a 1956 39a that I picked up at Cabela’s for a good price years ago and a pre safety 9422 trapper unfired in its original box. The 9422 trappers are going for stupid high prices now. The 39a is a nice gun to shoot.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have had several Marlins over the years and while they shot great and were very accurate, they were also very heavy. I keep a Henry that is threaded so I can suppress it and a Ruger 96/22.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Nothing wrong with Micro-groove.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have an older model Henry, before they went to a 3/8 inch dovetail for the rear sight. (I don't really know what size it is, but it's bigger than 3/8.)
    It is very accurate, fun to shoot, and Henry has a great reputation for customer service.
    I would recommend a Henry.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Best overall imho is the Henry. In time you may want something nicer but they are pretty good.
    th-3480698938.jpg
    The Rossi copies seem pretty rough, not worth it when the Henry is only a little more.
    th-2132983324.jpg
    I think if you managed to find a Browning or Marlin lever, the quality would be remembered long after the price is forgotten. You won't regret it, and Probably won't go searching for anything else after.
    th-2761611290.jpg
    th-1710635458.jpg
    Keep us posted with your range and new lever
    :cheers:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a Henry and my dad has a Browning. The Henry is a fantastic gun but IMHO the Browning is just so much more refined it justifies the extra cost. The Browning has much better sights, I like the checkering on the stock, the action is silky smooth and you don't have to remove your finger from the trigger guard to work the lever, the bands around the forend and barrel/ mag tube are metal. Oh and I think the trigger feels more crisp. Just much more refined as I said earlier.

As others have said the Henry is still an incredible gun and a blast to shoot. I really enjoy mine and could easily see myself buy another one or two for grandkids in the future.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    As a kid my dad had an Ithica lever action think it was the saddle gun 72. Wasn't the pot metal one shot wonder lever action. I remember shooting and enjoying that gun and like all things dad had, he sold or traded it. Hadn't thought about that for years. My wife will thank you as I now have another gun to start looking for! :laugh:
    I bought an Ithaca saddle gun years ago from Aszerigan. It shoots just as well if not better then my Henry’s do. I would really like to find a nice 39A.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm admittedly jaded on this topic. I had a Henry Golden Boy in 22LR that was the *smoothest* lever I've ever handled. And silly accurate, SO much fun with open sights against clay pots and soda cans! And then... then I got the Henry Pump in 22LR. This one is INSANELY fun to shoot, and every bit as accurate as the Golden Boy.

I recently sold the Golden Boy. I regret it a little bit already, it went to a great INGO home, but (for me) the Pump has it covered, the Henry Pump is TOO much fun! The only thing that bothers me a bit about the Henrys in 22LR (and believe me, I'm a total fan) is the zinc alloy receiver. Does it matter with 22LR? Nope. Seriously... nope. But for the price Henry demands, I want a more robust receiver. I know it's all in my head, but that's where my head is on this topic. I've shot a Browning. Serious quality in this option. The short throw felt a little funny to me. But totally a quality product and every bit as accurate as my beloved Golden Boy.

Below are the Pump and Golden Boy side-by-side. They are the same length, don't let the image fool you. And honestly, the wood on the Pump is every bit as pretty as on any other Henry rifle.

View attachment 264990
    I had a Rossi pump action 22 years and years ago. I loved that gun. I’ve thought about getting one of the Henry pumps. Glad to hear you like it.

I’ve got a Golden Boy and I’ve been satisfied with it. I need to shoot it more.

Top Bottom