• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    All...in your opinion, or rather, from your experience, which is the best overall .22lr lever-action rifle?
    I'm wanting one for some plinking fun in a new outdoor range I'm building (about 75 yards in distance)
    out at dad's, this spring, and am wanting a 'fun' yet accurate lever-action .22lr to plink around with.
    I have looked at a few Henry's (in person) and a few other manufacturer's lever-action rifles online...
    Just curious what other's experience has been and why...???

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    When I shot the Henry it was very smooth and no recoil at all. It was very fun and that is my ONLY rimfire lever exposure. So maybe not what you were looking for but I doubt you will be disappointed with a Henry.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Jbird is right. Personal preference for me is to avoid micro grove rifling in favor of button or Ballard. I think your bigger question may be availability and price. Nice 22 levers get pricey quick.

As you’re setting, your budget for the 22 just keep in mind. The $1,500 center fire hunting rifle in your closet probably hasn’t had 50 rounds down the tube in 10 years. Everyone feels good about paying that kind of money for a big gun that is rarely shot. Those same folks whine, cry and buy a $200 dollar 22 with a $30 dollar scope. The 22 is probably going to digest 500 rounds for each round fired through the hunting rifle.

I think you should pay better for what you shoot more.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Jbird is right. Personal preference for me is to avoid micro grove rifling in favor of button or Ballard. I think your bigger question may be availability and price. Nice 22 levers get pricey quick.

As you’re setting, your budget for the 22 just keep in mind. The $1,500 center fire hunting rifle in your closet probably hasn’t had 50 rounds down the tube in 10 years. Everyone feels good about paying that kind of money for a big gun that is rarely shot. Those same folks whine, cry and buy a $200 dollar 22 with a $30 dollar scope. The 22 is probably going to digest 500 rounds for each round fired through the hunting rifle.

I think you should pay better for what you shoot more.
    I've never thought of it that way but you're exactly right. I've met a lot of guys with some nice guns that'll never get shot because "ammo is too expensive", but then they'll make a cheaper copy of it in 22lr and run the daylights out of that.

As far as a lever action 22lr I always thought the old takedown 39A's were pretty cool looking rifle, but I can't say I've ever shot one.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I set out on a mission to get all the .22 levers.... Stopped after I got a 39a.

I have had an entry level Henry, I think it's the H001. It was capable and fun but a bit light, and while well made, the materials weren't top notch. The Marlin feels like a 'real gun,' sits nicely in the hand and shoots great. I don't see any reason to spend the money to get a Browning or Winchester.

That being said, my second favorite .22 is my Norinco pump that I got on here a few years ago for about $150. It's SUPER fun to shoot!

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    As a kid my dad had an Ithica lever action think it was the saddle gun 72. Wasn't the pot metal one shot wonder lever action. I remember shooting and enjoying that gun and like all things dad had, he sold or traded it. Hadn't thought about that for years. My wife will thank you as I now have another gun to start looking for! :laugh:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Look at Brownings BL22 lineup.
    No pot metal or powder coating,
    steel and walnut. Money well spent.
    Also, the Browning BL22 has the shortest throw of the lever action 22s. When I shoot it, mostly for cowboy action side matches, I don't need to remove my right hand from the stock in order to work the lever. Below are pics to compare. Also, DO NOT fall for the large lever loop on some models. It may look cool, but it will make it harder to work the lever, especially if you go for speed.

Henry
    1679580955041.png

Browning
    1679581113137.png

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have a Marlin 39a and a 56 Levermatic. My brother has a Henry Golden Boy, and I've shot the cheaper entry-level Henry as well.

My favorite of those is my 39a. It's very well made, has a smooth and authoritative action, and just feels like a "real" gun when you work it. Unfortunately they're getting hard to find, and crazy expensive when you do. My search continues for an affordable shorter-barreled 39M "Mountie".

The Levermatic is an interesting concept...a box-fed lever-action. The short throw is fun and FAST, but the action design is clunkier and lacks the satisfying mechanical feel of the 39a. Takedown is also more complicated, and there are some really goofy specialized springs in there that if they ever break will be impossible to source. I've had a few light-strike issues with mine.

The cheaper Henry is a fun gun, and shoots just fine. The action is actually pretty smooth, but it doesn't have that solid mechanical feel of the 39. I'm not a big fan of the ugly Phillips-head screws and painted on finish, but if you can get past that it's a workable choice that's readily available at a reasonable price. My brother's Golden Boy is basically the same with a nicer finish and better sights.

Accuracy-wise, I'd say it's a wash between all of them. None of them was quite a precision rifle, but all were just fine for typical lever-gun uses such as shooting steel or small varmints inside of 50 yards with open sights.

If you just want a shooter, the Henry will be fine. The 39a gives you the takedown capability and mechanical refinement. The 56 is just weird. I've always wanted to try a Browning but have yet to get the opportunity.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I haven't shot them all so can't honestly say what is best. I do own and very much enjoy my Marlin 39A, 39M, and 56. Have shot a Henry and it was a nice gun. I wouldn't give up any of my Marlins for one, but that's just me. As mentioned earlier, pumps are a lot of fun too. Have an older Rossi Gallery carbine 22 pump that's a hoot to shoot.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    If you're on a budget, the Henry's work fine and probably have the smoothest action. If price is no object, the Winchester 9422 XTR's are a mechanical work-of-art, made between '78 and '88. Nothing wrong with the Brownings or Marlins either. Here's a pic for encouragement. Both 22 Mags, smooth stocks on the '78 and checkered on the '88. They came in 22 LR also. Please excuse the scopes - it's the only way I can see to shoot.

P1080669.JPG

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I agree with Jaybirds lineup. The Marlin 39 has been the Gold Standard for decades. I have 4 Marlins, 2 rifles and 2 carbines, and they all shoot great. I could easily hit the 100 steel at MCFG with open sights back when I was a member.
    I had a couple Winchesters years ago and they were really nice but alas I let them slip away.
    Always wanted a Browning BLR22 but like their little 22 automatic I just never owned one.
    Other companies have put out 22 lever guns over the years such as Ruger, Ithaca, Savage and others, but the Marlin always seemed to be the Go To Lever.
    I’ve handled several Henry rifles but they just always felt cheap to me. From what I’ve heard though they seem to be nice little guns.
    I’ve toyed with getting rid of my Marlins because I never use them anymore but to replace them nowadays would be pretty expensive.
    I still would like to get my hands on a BLR someday.
    Great…. Another gun on my Want List!:ugh:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm admittedly jaded on this topic. I had a Henry Golden Boy in 22LR that was the *smoothest* lever I've ever handled. And silly accurate, SO much fun with open sights against clay pots and soda cans! And then... then I got the Henry Pump in 22LR. This one is INSANELY fun to shoot, and every bit as accurate as the Golden Boy.

I recently sold the Golden Boy. I regret it a little bit already, it went to a great INGO home, but (for me) the Pump has it covered, the Henry Pump is TOO much fun! The only thing that bothers me a bit about the Henrys in 22LR (and believe me, I'm a total fan) is the zinc alloy receiver. Does it matter with 22LR? Nope. Seriously... nope. But for the price Henry demands, I want a more robust receiver. I know it's all in my head, but that's where my head is on this topic. I've shot a Browning. Serious quality in this option. The short throw felt a little funny to me. But totally a quality product and every bit as accurate as my beloved Golden Boy.

Below are the Pump and Golden Boy side-by-side. They are the same length, don't let the image fool you. And honestly, the wood on the Pump is every bit as pretty as on any other Henry rifle.

20211106_232301.jpg

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Thank you all for the feedback...it's been very helpful!
    I think I'm going to go to a few gun shows this spring and see what might be lying on some tables as 'used' and watch the prices!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    The 39A or the 9422s for sure but you will need at least 1k for a decent example. I bought a Henry 101 i think I even got a youth model and its like a Daisy Red Rider but for grown ups ( or kids) but very smooth and accurate. And for well under $500. No cosmetically its not high end but its not terrible either.

Top Bottom