• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Looking for the most reliable (I know 22 isn’t the most reliable cartridge to begin with) 22 semi auto to show my daughter pistol basics? I know what I’m leaning towards but don’t want to sway any suggestions because I have no allegiance to any brands.

appreciate any and all advice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    `Ruger 22/45.

I'd also say the 1911-22 from GSG. Its the same factory that makes the Sig version, but cheaper because its got a different roll mark. Its generally just as heavy as a full size 1911, which means there is almost no recoil.

But that one will require upgrading some internals to be reliable. Like the metal guide rod, and some other parts I dont recall. Once you do that they are solid guns. I want one someday when I have some spare funds.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Have had great luck with the M&P 22 compact so far. Had it for a few years now and it has yet to find an ammo it wont eat.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My idea of a camping/plinking firearm would be the tx22
    I'm still thinking about selling mine. Nothing wrong with it and I have no complaints about function (but I've only put like 7 mags through it), but I just don't like the way it feels. It's just so light that it feels like a toy to me. I much prefer my Browning Buckmark.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I want it to resemble “standard” semi auto pistol feel and function. I don’t want a mini thing but something on the petite side would be nice.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I'm still thinking about selling mine. Nothing wrong with it and I have no complaints about function (but I've only put like 7 mags through it), but I just don't like the way it feels. It's just so light that it feels like a toy to me. I much prefer my Browning Buckmark.
    Well if you do let me know you’d make some kids happy tx22 was the direction I was leaning after seeing reviews.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Volquartsen Black Mamba
    S&W 41
    Sig Trailside
    S&W Victory
    Roger Mark lV
    Browning Buckmark
    TX 22

If it's her first real 22 maybe a Ruger Wrangler or even a Heritage Rough rider to get her started. I started my kids off with a old H&R revolver then moved to semi auto. :dunno:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    If you want a training gun it's hard to beat the M&P 22 compact.

If I were in the market I would probably wait for the Sig P322 to show up in the LGS rental case and try one before getting something else.

The TX22 is a nice size and handles like a full size gun, except for weights, but my experience was contrary to many folks and I never got a good barrel. If I were to buy another I would get the competition model hoping the QC is better on that one. The Taurus warranty only applies to the original buyer, so I would not buy a used one.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    If you want a training gun it's hard to beat the M&P 22 compact.

If I were in the market I would probably wait for the Sig P322 to show up in the LGS rental case and try one before getting something else.

The TX22 is a nice size and handles like a full size gun, except for weights, but my experience was contrary to many folks and I never got a good barrel. If I were to buy another I would get the competition model hoping the QC is better on that one. The Taurus warranty only applies to the original buyer, so I would not buy a used one.
    Do you still have the tx. I have a barrel

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    For Target;
    S&W Mod 41
    Colt Ace
    Ruger MKII Target
    S&W Mod 17
    Colt Match Target
    Colt Officers Match
    Colt Targetsman

For Plinking/Fun;
    S&W Compact
    Sig P220 22
    Walther PP 22
    Colt Woodsman
    Colt Challenger

These are guns I own and have shot. I’ve looked at the new Taurus and am quite impressed but I have a few to many 22s to buy another one. Seems pretty close to the Smith Compact. If I got a deal on one I might pick it one up.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've tried the .22 service pistol copies, and owned an SR22 for a while, and was not happy with any of them. They were either grossly unreliable or at the very least, ammo picky, and the whole point of a .22 is to be able to run the cheap bulk stuff to save money.

The SR22 was decently reliable, but there was something goofy with the extractor and it wouldn't extract an un-fired round, which was a problem when I'm trying to use it to teach my kids safe shooting and gun handling practices. The trigger was also abysmal, so once they got the basics down and were trying to improve their accuracy, the gun made it really difficult to produce good groups.

I finally stumbled across a Ruger MkII for a price I couldn't pass up, and bought it. I'd shied away from them in the past because I thought they looked goofy, and I wanted something more similar to my defensive handguns, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. I absolutely love that gun. The build quality is supurb, and it feels like a real gun in your hand unlike the toy feeling that you get from many other .22s. It's obscenely reliable...more reliable than any semi-auto .22 has a right to be. I have yet to find any ammo that it won't run, and I've put some really crappy stuff through it. I honestly can't remember ever having a malfunction with it in thousands of rounds.

The trigger is awesome, the sights are awesome, and it will drill holes tighter than any other handgun I own. I've used it to teach a bunch of new shooters, and have found that it's the perfect platform to learn the fundamentals on, and have not found the controls to be a hindrance at all. When the time comes to move them up to a center-fire defensive handgun, the manual of arms is just a step in the learning process, as it would be when transitioning to any other new handgun.

Give them a look...you won't be sorry. The Mk IV is the current model, and it has some upgrades to my Mk II that are kinda nice (traditional button mag release rather than heel, and a simplified takedown process...although the horror stories about the takedown of the Mk I-III are much overblown, IMO).

Top Bottom