• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If there's no independent 3rd party that tests products for quality and consistency then how do you really know what you've got. Unfortunately, I'd consider myself to be to skeptical of everything now and I didn't start with a big amount of trust in all human beings.
    You are, as I read it, putting trust into the “independent“ third party that I do not. I understand the extortion these third put on people and businesses. Work says you cannot get promoted without a designation from third parties, don’t buy a lamp that is not UL certs, don't do business with a website that does not have certain add on’s or certs, the list is endless of these once valuable sources, like everything they too can become rotten and corrupt.

I do not trust them more or less than Berkey.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I got an alexapure gravity water filter. We use it for all our drinking water. The filters are cheaper than berkey. They will fit a berkey though.
    We love ours

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I got an alexapure gravity water filter. We use it for all our drinking water. The filters are cheaper than berkey. They will fit a berkey though.
    We love ours
    Interesting but not seeing it. The filters are also not certified, like Berkey, so they do not eliminate that question, Amazon has them at $98.49. EACH, not $160 per pair for Berkey. They have very little info on their site.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Search:

Best Water Filter? Brita, ZeroWater, PUR, Berkey, Aquaphor, AquaTrue​

This is not a very scientific testing protocol. There was no testing for the main things I bought mine for. If one is looking for a household water filter have at it, but I am looking for a SHTF make my water safe to drink.

This thread has caused me to question things that did not come up in 2020 when Berkey was recommended…

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree that the video is far removed from some scientific laboratory, but it's also not completely worthless.

I still say people have been buying and using Berkey's with good enough results that they've stayed in business, so I don't think the filters or system are total junk by any stretch. I do think it raises questions and I think it's worth looking at before the SHTF. Personally, I wish I'd have known about this before I bought mine too.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    The reason Berkey filters cannot be sold in California is because they lack certification. They still work (and work better than most others), despite what California thinks. Most filters are not certified.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I took my filters out… over a year old since they were getting slow. I then scrubbed them with the sponge and WOW did they come back to life. Now the issue I’m having is I am doing the food coloring test….. and it is getting into the drinking water. I’ve tried re threading, I’ve held it over the sink and it doesn’t appear to be leaking at a gasket. Why in the world would my clean filters not filter the dye out anymore….

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So I took my filters out… over a year old since they were getting slow. I then scrubbed them with the sponge and WOW did they come back to life. Now the issue I’m having is I am doing the food coloring test….. and it is getting into the drinking water. I’ve tried re threading, I’ve held it over the sink and it doesn’t appear to be leaking at a gasket. Why in the world would my clean filters not filter the dye out anymore….

I soaked a set of, couple years old, very slow filtering Berkey filters in vinegar. You are not supposed to do this. It helped some, but not like new. Filtered water tasted like vinegar for a week or two. These filters weren't dye checked before, but they passed dye below after.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I soaked a set of, couple years old, very slow filtering Berkey filters in vinegar. You are not supposed to do this. It helped some, but not like new. Filtered water tasted like vinegar for a week or two. These filters weren't dye checked before, but they passed dye below after.

So I put quite a bit of dye in the top and it was dark blue it is barely tinted blue in the bottom. I am just wondering how many bad things take the same path as the blue dye……

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So I put quite a bit of dye in the top and it was dark blue it is barely tinted blue in the bottom. I am just wondering how many bad things take the same path as the blue dye……

I wish I could tell you. It'd be nice to find a solid resource to tell us the difference between smoke/mirrors and snake oil?

How do my $30 filters compare to the Berkey name brand ones, costing 5 times as much?

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Water filters aren't something I'm going to try and get the very last mile out of. At some point you just have to be happy with what you had for as long as you had it. Berkey filters aren't cheap and if there's a certified alternative I'm all ears.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Water filters aren't something I'm going to try and get the very last mile out of. At some point you just have to be happy with what you had for as long as you had it. Berkey filters aren't cheap and if there's a certified alternative I'm all ears.
    The berkey is advertised that it NEVER stops filtering. It always filters the same particulates and chemicals it only becomes clogged and slows.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Frankly I would call and ask them. Go straight to the maker since you did what they say to do.

Top Bottom