• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    MSRP $1100

It is not bad at 7 pounds though, why can't we get more shotguns with Bayonet mounts?

I like Berettas, mostly pistols, but maybe I am biased. I like Mossberg pumps for Shotguns
    That makes sense. A shotgun is a CQB weapon it would benefit from having a bayonet.

1675133561066.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well maybe not SWORD bayonets.

But yes, if there is ever a thing that benefits from a Bayonet, its a tactical shotgun.

Only the 590 series from Mossberg seems to have them. (Outside some trench gun replicas sold now and again)
    Come on nothing says you mean business like a 17" bayonet. Besides the FBI says you need 12-18" of penetration. :)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    MSRP of $1100... I bet street price will be closer to $900.

That's definitely more palatable than the $1300+ for a 1301.

Personally, it's like 90% of a 1301 for 70% of the cost. I didn't do the math...

And since I really want a 1301 that's been fluffed by Langdon Tactical, though it'll never happen because they're $1500, an A300 Patrol seems right up my alley.

I also still want a Win '97 Trench Gun, though. I have a '97 takedown version that I've thought about having converted...

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I bought an A300 Outlander a couple of weeks ago as an impulse buy, which is an older version of the A300 set up for birds/clays with a vent rib barrel and 4-shot capacity with the plug removed. I'd been kind of watching for a semi-auto shotgun for a while to use for clay shooting, and couldn't pass this one up for $350 off the rack at the LGS. It was really ugly and had been given a rattlecan paint job, but it cleaned up pretty nice with some mineral spirits, a few hours of scrubbing, and some cold blue.

It's gas operated, and I haven't been able to get it to malfunction with anything from cheap Walmart bulk-pack target loads to full-power slugs and buckshot. I'm impressed by the quality of construction...quality metal parts that are nicely machined, and the plastic stock and forend are well made and have proper fitment. It's worlds ahead of the Mossberg 930 that I worked on for a buddy a year or so back...that thing was full of plastic and pot metal in areas critical to function (junk shell latch pin had sheared in half was the reason I was working on it), and the forend fit was horribly sloppy.

I love shooting the A300. The first time I took it out all I had was a full choke, but it tracked so well I was still hitting more clays than I was with the 870, and with the full-choke it was absolutely dusting them. The stock is adjustable for length of pull, drop, and cast, and this really makes a huge difference to an awkwardly tall guy like myself.

I'd feel very well equipped with this new "Patrol" model. In addition to the extended mag tube, shorter barrel, and combat-style sights, it has some other upgrades over my old Outlander like an extended bolt release, charging handle, and relieved loading gate. The action is not quite the same as a 1301 (I believe the 1301 uses a rotating piston-style bolt face like a Benelli, which results in even more felt recoil reduction), but I've been very happy with mine. That said, I'm coming from a pump and have never shot a 1301, so I can't say with certainty that it wouldn't be worth spending the extra $400 to get one of those.

When these make their way to the used market I think they'll be a great buy at $500-$700. If one of you wants to buy one, knock it around for a bit and cover it in spray paint, I'll be happy to take it off your hands for $350 ;).

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That makes sense. A shotgun is a CQB weapon it would benefit from having a bayonet.

View attachment 251781
    I have a Norinco copy of the Winchester 1897 Trench Gun. Even has the Slam Fire feature, bayo lug and US and Flaming Bomb markings. Very nice shotgun. Ithaca 37 DS/PS is my favorite closely followed by the 870 Police. Picked up a Mossberg 930 Tactical last year and it’s a nic auto loader. I like the looks and function of this Beretta though.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a Norinco copy of the Winchester 1897 Trench Gun. Even has the Slam Fire feature, bayo lug and US and Flaming Bomb markings. Very nice shotgun. Ithaca 37 DS/PS is my favorite closely followed by the 870 Police. Picked up a Mossberg 930 Tactical last year and it’s a nic auto loader. I like the looks and function of this Beretta though.
    The Ithaca 37 was a few years back issued by Inland as a trench gun config. They are now out of production, but they were sold long enough to make ever original M1917 bayonet stupidly expensive.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    1 week ago today, I was able to stop into a local shop. Said local shop had a Beretta 1303 Tac (NOT LTT) on the rack. I was able to handle it. It was niiiiiice.

I inquired as to if they knew when they'd possibly start seeing the A300 Patrols on their distribution sites. A) he didn't know. But B ) he said there was one in the back that came in as a transfer. I kindly asked if he could go get it?

And since he and I go back 10+ years as gun buddies, he did. Not only because of me, but because he wanted to see it, too.

Quick & Dirty take aways: The A300 feels a little lighter and a little more "tinny" than the 1301. From 15 feet away, one would be very hard pressed to be able to tell them apart.

They appear to use the same mag tube extension and mag tube-to-barrel clamp.

The fore end on the A300 has a way more aggressive / peaked texture than the 1301.

The charging handle on the 1301 is considerably larger.

Sighting systems are different. Nod there goes to 1301.

I've still yet to shoot either gun. But I wanna.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    tid bit to add to post #11: They're not mag tube extensions. They're basically mag tube covers. The actual mag tube is inside and is of a fixed length. What you see to the exterior is a cover that protects the mag tube from the world and from the clamp.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    tid bit to add to post #11: They're not mag tube extensions. They're basically mag tube covers. The actual mag tube is inside and is of a fixed length. What you see to the exterior is a cover that protects the mag tube from the world and from the clamp.
    Yes one thing the above video does well, is he takes the shotgun apart, you can see the plastic mag tube cover..the actual mag tube is metal

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The Ithaca 37 was a few years back issued by Inland as a trench gun config. They are now out of production, but they were sold long enough to make ever original M1917 bayonet stupidly expensive.
    I don’t recall that one. I’d love to find one.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I told my friend about the A300 as he’d been looking for a gun in that configuration. Well he texted me and said he found one on sale and ordered it. It should be here Monday so I’ll see one up close and personal. Need some 12ga now….

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don’t recall that one. I’d love to find one.
    Still listed on the website, but now out of production.

M37-Trench2.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I bought an A300 Outlander a couple of weeks ago as an impulse buy, which is an older version of the A300 set up for birds/clays with a vent rib barrel and 4-shot capacity with the plug removed. I'd been kind of watching for a semi-auto shotgun for a while to use for clay shooting, and couldn't pass this one up for $350 off the rack at the LGS. It was really ugly and had been given a rattlecan paint job, but it cleaned up pretty nice with some mineral spirits, a few hours of scrubbing, and some cold blue.

It's gas operated, and I haven't been able to get it to malfunction with anything from cheap Walmart bulk-pack target loads to full-power slugs and buckshot. I'm impressed by the quality of construction...quality metal parts that are nicely machined, and the plastic stock and forend are well made and have proper fitment. It's worlds ahead of the Mossberg 930 that I worked on for a buddy a year or so back...that thing was full of plastic and pot metal in areas critical to function (junk shell latch pin had sheared in half was the reason I was working on it), and the forend fit was horribly sloppy.

I love shooting the A300. The first time I took it out all I had was a full choke, but it tracked so well I was still hitting more clays than I was with the 870, and with the full-choke it was absolutely dusting them. The stock is adjustable for length of pull, drop, and cast, and this really makes a huge difference to an awkwardly tall guy like myself.

I'd feel very well equipped with this new "Patrol" model. In addition to the extended mag tube, shorter barrel, and combat-style sights, it has some other upgrades over my old Outlander like an extended bolt release, charging handle, and relieved loading gate. The action is not quite the same as a 1301 (I believe the 1301 uses a rotating piston-style bolt face like a Benelli, which results in even more felt recoil reduction), but I've been very happy with mine. That said, I'm coming from a pump and have never shot a 1301, so I can't say with certainty that it wouldn't be worth spending the extra $400 to get one of those.

When these make their way to the used market I think they'll be a great buy at $500-$700. If one of you wants to buy one, knock it around for a bit and cover it in spray paint, I'll be happy to take it off your hands for $350 ;).
    In a fairly recent 2 day Rangemaster shotgun class in Nashville it was about half 1301's, and half 870's with a lone Mossberg 930. According to Greg Ellefritz Tom told the 930 guy that shotgun won't make it through the class. He was right and Greg loaned the guy a 1301 to finish up. It's amazing to me that half a 20 person class would be semi auto. Before the 1301 you would have never seen anything like that.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    According to Greg Ellefritz Tom told the 930 guy that shotgun won't make it through the class.
    From what I saw when I was inside the one I had, that doesn't surprise me one bit. There's a lot of pressure exerted against that tiny little pin by the mag spring, and I don't see how anybody could expect it to hold up, especially with the pot metal they used. The plastic pusher assembly and spacer tube weren't confidence inspiring, either, and the sloppy handguard fit was downright annoying.

I was always content with my 870s before, especially after playing with that Mossberg and watching my buddy struggle with his 1187. The A300 has kinda spoiled me, though, and now I really want a 1301, or maybe the A300 Patrol. Maybe someday.

Top Bottom