• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Beretta 1301 yes or no? I am looking to buy a 1301 to replace my double for home defense. I am old enough that I don't hunt or play games anymore but can still bust 95 out of 100 clay birds or better. I have several pump guns-Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and a Winchester. I shot the Mossberg 930, the Benelli M4 and the Beretta 1301. The Beretta seemed to handle better for me but is it worth the money?

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    The 1301 is a stellar shotgun with a great reputation, They are pricey compared to the Mossberg 930, but alot cheaper than the Benelli. They have great aftermarket support just like the Mossy and Benelli. AIM Surplus in Cincinnati recently had police trade-in 1301's all kitted out for around $1200. They looked to be in excellent condition as well.
    I have to ask you though, for HD purposes, what does the Beretta do that the pump guns you have wouldn't do just as well? Yes the 1301 offers a quick second shot, but with the aftermarket support for the pump guns you listed is just as strong, if not stronger than for the 1301.
    I am adding 2 photos, one of my Mossberg 930 SPX and my Mossberg 500, both set up for HD. The 500 weighs quite a bit less and takes much less maintenance to keep it running well. You can also shoot the Mini shells out of the Mossberg with either the OpSol Mini Clip or the Defender Tactical Universal Cartridge adapter. You cannot do that with the semi autos. Mossberg 930 SPX RS Current Configuration.jpg Mossberg 500 12 gauge RS current configuration.jpg
    That said, if you want a semi auto shotgun for HD, by all means go for it. The 1301 is a great shotgun. My 930 is my HD shotgun, but my 500 does the job just as well, doesn't weigh nearly as much kitted out, does not take nearly as much maintenance and doesn't cost nearly as much, especially if you already have a 500, 870 or Winchester pump gun.

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    I bought a 1301 a few months ago with no real purpose other than I wanted a semi-auto shotgun and it’s green. I’ve since added some accessories and keep it as my HD gun. Its awesome. So I say…yes.

I Invented the Internet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    IN
    I used to have a 1301 Tactical Marine before I changed my mind about a shotgun for home defense, but up until I sold it, it was an otherwise excellent shooter. It was boringly reliable and I couldn't outshoot the "blink" system. If I ever get another shotgun then it'll probably be a pump action so I can try out some mini-shells.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I have neither owned nor shot a 1301, but have watched all the YoosToobs videos, so that obviously makes me the foremost authority on them................get it and hurry up so I can put you on my jealousy hate list of members that have one before me.

J/K about the hate but very serious bout the envy.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I am not a big shotgun guy. I can bust clays with them reasonably well and enjoy doing so, but I honestly feel I’d reach for an AR before I reached for a shotgun as an HD option.

But that doesn’t make me want a 1301LTT any less. Those are some sexy, sexy shotguns!

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Arthritis has got to my left shoulder so have problems racking the pump is why I use a double for HD. Also I liked the idea of one barrel for slug and one for 000 buck. The thing is if more than two are needed I am screwed as the shoulder won't let me reload fast.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really really really like my 1301. I have just about everything that Aridus makes on mine, and its been a fun rig. I had an RMR on it forever, and recently swapped to a Holosun, because I like the "Eotech'ish" reticle on it better.
    Super lightweight, but I've had friends shoot it before and complain that recoil was a lot more than they were expecting. Personally, I'll take a bit more recoil for the savings in weight. IMO, I really don't thing there is a better shotgun for that application currently on the market.

With how reliable semi auto shotguns have gotten in recent years, I see no advantage to a pump for self defensive shooting, other than the cheaper price tag. And I love pump shotguns, and have several decked out. But in a super high stress situation, running the action is one less thing that I have to worry about screwing up. Feeding it is bad enough. I've seen it in classes and other training, where the shooter forgets to work the action under an adrenaline dump. And that's a whole lot less stressful, than if one were to use it in a scenario where lead is flying both ways.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I put this one together yesterday.

dOZth8Wl.jpg

HalsalAl.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Arthritis has got to my left shoulder so have problems racking the pump is why I use a double for HD. Also I liked the idea of one barrel for slug and one for 000 buck. The thing is if more than two are needed I am screwed as the shoulder won't let me reload fast.
    Maybe re-evaluate your HD weapon of choice? AR or pistol instead?

Just thinking out loud. Sometimes you need to work around your limitations and choose better options for YOU, even though you think its the best option overall. Just because its the BEST, doesnt mean its the best for YOU.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    An absolute YES.
    The 1301 is an.outstanding weapon.
    I have handled M4s in the service and I like my 1301 better.
    It's lighter, seems easier to maneuver, and just feels better in my hands.
    I can load 9 rounds in it, with a ghost load.
    Very light recoil for a 12 gage.
    You will love it.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I may be biased, but I say "yes."

View attachment 222956
    Very nice set up sir.
    Are you are left handed since the sling seems set up that way? No issues with the ejection? I’m assuming it never came set up as it sits now and you added the stock, sling qd mounts, wml, sling, side saddle, match maker and red dot… I’m also ‘assuming’ this is a HD/tactical set up or is this used for competition?

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Yes, left-handed. It's my personally-owned duty shotgun. No issues at all with ejection. Yes, I added all of the things you listed.

Top Bottom