• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Since somewhere there are still 1911’s sitting in a vault I wouldn’t worry too much about M9’s or M9 parts. Nothing to see here move along!

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I’m unsure if they will continue to issue new ones, but the above comment about a parts contract makes sense. Or it could be a smaller units that re upped to get new ones for a deployment purpose but haven’t gotten approval/ units for the new Sig systems.

The M9s I saw in the Navy were pretty rough. Overused and poorly maintained. The recoil springs were so weak you could easily watch the slide chamber rounds. On a couple occasions I saw locking block failures shut down pistols entirely. I can see how that might turn people off but I kept telling myself nothing would survive use and neglect indefinitely.

Couple months back I got to shoot a new 92 FS a friend bought and it was soooo sweet. Accurate, smooth, crisp. Been fighting the urge to buy one ever since! I don’t think you will regret it. Only thing I will add is that I think you will want the “G” model decocker only. I think the design is perfected without the lever being a safety. Doesn’t make much sense the more you use one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Could it just be the web site has not been update since sig won the new contract?

Maybe a oversight maybe not? Misinformation? Or a parts contestant like others have said.

Web sight out of date or overlook I think more likely

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Could it just be the web site has not been update since sig won the new contract?

Maybe a oversight maybe not? Misinformation? Or a parts contestant like others have said.

Web sight out of date or overlook I think more likely
    I believe it was last Sept that Beretta fulfilled the last contract for 92's.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It might be that the procurement rate for the new Sigs is not keeping up with the retirement rate for the worn Berettas. If that’s the case, it might make sense for the contract to be renewed or extended to fill a potential gap.

Or (tinfoil hat theory) the govt is gearing up for a fight over Taiwan and the Sigs are not coming in fast enough to fill the potential need.

I’ve never been a fan of the 92 but will admit that there have been a couple in the gun case at an LGS that have swayed me towards them. I’d certainly be up for a USGI 92 if I should still be around if/when the govt ever sends them through the CMP. I don’t see that happening in my lifetime though.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good pistols, I bought one when the sights on my Browning became too hard to see. Gave it up when those sights got fuzzy and bought a Glock 40 with an electric sight.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I’m unsure if they will continue to issue new ones, but the above comment about a parts contract makes sense. Or it could be a smaller units that re upped to get new ones for a deployment purpose but haven’t gotten approval/ units for the new Sig systems.

The M9s I saw in the Navy were pretty rough. Overused and poorly maintained. The recoil springs were so weak you could easily watch the slide chamber rounds. On a couple occasions I saw locking block failures shut down pistols entirely. I can see how that might turn people off but I kept telling myself nothing would survive use and neglect indefinitely.

Couple months back I got to shoot a new 92 FS a friend bought and it was soooo sweet. Accurate, smooth, crisp. Been fighting the urge to buy one ever since! I don’t think you will regret it. Only thing I will add is that I think you will want the “G” model decocker only. I think the design is perfected without the lever being a safety. Doesn’t make much sense the more you use one.
    I think the 92x performance is where they got the lever configuration perfect.

DD350388-B7B2-48E2-BEFA-851FE0380556.jpg

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    I was originally issued a 1911A1 in the Army in 1991. A couple years later was issued a Beretta. I hope that I don't insult anyone with my opinion, but I much preferred the Beretta over the admittedly worn-out 1911A1.

After the Army I was issued a Beretta 96 Brigadier with the Federal agency I got hired by. I also really liked the Brigadier, but it was very hard to conceal (so was happy when we got H&K USP Compact. 40s). The DAO trigger on the Brigadier was very long, but fairly light and very smooth. I found both the 9mm and .40 caliber Berettas to be very reliable and pleasingly accurate. I might buy one for nostalgia, but let's face it, the guns are big for the caliber.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I was originally issued a 1911A1 in the Army in 1991. A couple years later was issued a Beretta. I hope that I don't insult anyone with my opinion, but I much preferred the Beretta over the admittedly worn-out 1911A1.

After the Army I was issued a Beretta 96 Brigadier with the Federal agency I got hired by. I also really liked the Brigadier, but it was very hard to conceal (so was happy when we got H&K USP Compact. 40s). The DAO trigger on the Brigadier was very long, but fairly light and very smooth. I found both the 9mm and .40 caliber Berettas to be very reliable and pleasingly accurate. I might buy one for nostalgia, but let's face it, the guns are big for the caliber.
    Did you work for the Border Patrol?

Top Bottom