• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I was originally issued a 1911A1 in the Army in 1991. A couple years later was issued a Beretta. I hope that I don't insult anyone with my opinion, but I much preferred the Beretta over the admittedly worn-out 1911A1.

After the Army I was issued a Beretta 96 Brigadier with the Federal agency I got hired by. I also really liked the Brigadier, but it was very hard to conceal (so was happy when we got H&K USP Compact. 40s). The DAO trigger on the Brigadier was very long, but fairly light and very smooth. I found both the 9mm and .40 caliber Berettas to be very reliable and pleasingly accurate. I might buy one for nostalgia, but let's face it, the guns are big for the caliber.

I felt the same way.

Learned the M9 during OSUT at Knox, then got to Korea and was issued a .45. Barely Qualified with it, mostly used it to open Pepsi bottles. We turned in our .45s when issued brand new M9s before I rotated home. Carried an M9 as an M1A1 tanker at Hood for the rest of my time in.

Like you, I preferred the M9, finally got a commercial M9 for myself some years back. Man what a sweet shooter plus the personal connection to my time in service. Mine's not for sale.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    Thank you for your service. I like to collect police-marked firearms, even federal LE pieces. Did your Beretta have any agency markings?
    Thanks for your kind response. The job was occasionally fun, and retirement is good.

As to the markings, yikes, that is harder to remember than it should be... I don't recall any agency-specific markings on the guns, but I think the magazines had the "Government/law enforcement use only" stamp on them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is slightly alarming that the US Army adopted the Beretta in 1985, about 37 years ago, I still think of it as the new pistol. It took me a while to warm up to them.

When I instructed at the range, the Beretta was the next pistol after the .22 Ruger pistols. They were easy to shoot and easy to shoot well. The beat up plain jane, 92fs in the rental case was constantly in service, and admittedly barely maintained, and it just kept on running fine. They are kind of chunky as a concealed carry piece, but have been dependable. I have no reservation about trusting a 92 or 96 for defensive work, at least when my 1911 is not readily available.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    I felt the same way.

Learned the M9 during OSUT at Knox, then got to Korea and was issued a .45. Barely Qualified with it, mostly used it to open Pepsi bottles. We turned in our .45s when issued brand new M9s before I rotated home. Carried an M9 as an M1A1 tanker at Hood for the rest of my time in.

Like you, I preferred the M9, finally got a commercial M9 for myself some years back. Man what a sweet shooter plus the personal connection to my time in service. Mine's not for sale.
    Haha, that reminds me that at OBC we qualified with M16s, but got to familiarize with the M9. I had never shot a semi-auto pistol before. The only handguns I had ever shot before that were single action revolvers. So the first shot with the Beretta I pulled and pulled on that trigger for what seemed like minutes. After the first shot went off, it registered in my mind "golly, I'll have to pull really far on this trigger to get it to go off again". So of course the second shot went off before I even had the sights on the target. Good thing it was "familiarization only"! But by the time I got issued a Beretta, I qualified Expert. It really is an accurate pistol.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Are these factory or done elsewhere?
    Mine was factory around 1993 when I got it. Not sure if they still do that or not.

If they do make it nowadays it's probably going to be well over $1000. In 1993 it was pricey because the Clinton AWB was coming into effect and prices jumped a little just before, but nothing like the inflation that is Bidiot's America.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've always had a soft spot for Beretta's, here's my 92X Compact with G conversion and spurless hammer.

e08ViJWm.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Maybe the contract was renewed for spare parts to keep the existing "good" condition M9's running while the M17/M18 pistols are rolled out. The website seems somewhat vague about what exactly the contract is for. Just a shot in the dark.

If it were not for the fact I want a Staccato C2 for some reason, a LTT Beretta Compact would be close to the top of my want list (with LTT's optics package).

r2YX52q.jpg

They can shoot very nice also IMHO

Last edited:
    Top Bottom