• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This came today. It's an old antique Belgian Flobert (6mm Flobert) "parlor gun". These were made for folks to shoot in their "shooting parlors" back in the Victorian era. The 6mm cartridge is basically a .22 BB cap and has no powder. The primer is the only propellant. Unfortunately there appears to be something faulty with the locking mechanism for the hammer. When I pull it back to the fully cocked position, it won't stay. It jumps up to more of a half-cock position, but unlike some guns where that is the "safe" position, it will still fire from that position. The only problem is, it blocks the view of the sights. May have to have it looked at if I can find a gunsmith that works with muzzle loaders, since it seems like it might be a similar action.

Anyhow, it's a beautiful gun, even if it ends up being a wall hanger.

SwfNm8C.jpg

0xWD1Ev.jpg

T6aiFix.jpg

eaMhomK.jpg

14Y6Mwn.jpg

fWf2tW7.jpg

w12HEAa.jpg

2gqgf3U.jpg

5ilOjmI.jpg

qxO4Nl4.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You know that barrel sure is mighty thick considering how powerful that round is..

You can't be too careful!

Just put a scope on it.

I was thinking about an ACOG if I can find one that is period correct, considering the short range at which this rifle will be used. Of course getting a good co-witness is going to be a problem. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Cool gun and chair .

Just happened to have the chair, but thought it might fit in with the era of the rifle.

I just think it's so cool. Can you imagine hanging out in your "parlor" (I'm thinking man cave these days) and plinking away with one of these guns? And they made handguns too, and even shotguns (although the shotguns are usually chambered in 9mm Flobert or .32 Flobert). I know the 9 mm is still available, but not sure of the .32. I thought a little mini-shtogun like that would be cool for popping the carpenter bees that like to hang around my deck in the summer. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well I may have screwed the pooch with this thing. Bore was really filthy, so I thought I'd run a few patches through it before I took it to the range today. Now the cleaning rod is firmly stuck in the bore. I cut the patch down really small, but apparently not small enough. I've got it soaking in Kroil now and I'm just hoping indy1919a4 and I can play tug of war with it and get it out, or maybe force it through to the point where I can get the patch off the end of the rod. That would let me get the rod out. If not, then it's going to have to make a trip to a gunsmith. :(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Managed to get the cleaning rod unstuck, but this one's gonna be a wall hanger unless I decide to put money into it. The hammer just would not stay cocked back. Took it apart at the range and obviously some parts are worn and chances of finding replacements are slim and none. Oh well. At least it's purty to look at. :n00b:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would think 3 times before I ordered any Flobert parts without comparing the parts in person. Those guns are not uniform. They were made by dozens of different companies from many countries over many years. Those guns & parts have many subtle differences.
    That's what worries me. Now a gunsmith might be able to look at it and say, "Oh yeah, you need this thing-a-ma-bob right here!" But I'm no gunsmith and as we saw comparing my gun to your two that you brought, so many parts looked "close" but not quite the same.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    The gun shop I worked at had some flobert Ammo! I’m almost positive it was made by rws as we were closing the shop down last October, we were discounting everything, a guy stopped in and asked about the flobert Ammo and how much the discount was, before I could answer, the shop owner yelled out “the floberts not for sale!”...”I’m taking it home for my parlor guns!” Lol. But i don’t recall anyone actually buying any, as soon as I told them the price, they shook their head and walked away!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Never saw a parlor gun, but back in the 1950's I worked in a gas station where we had a target set up on a door in a back room. Had about a 20' long range. The owner and other attendant and I would practice using 22 shorts. We pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and reseated the bullet. It left a lot of dents in the door but never penetrated.

Top Bottom