• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Find a local welding shop with a laser welder. Even some jewelry shops have them.

They can lay down a very small bead to build up the worn areas that you can easily file off by hand.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Never saw a parlor gun, but back in the 1950's I worked in a gas station where we had a target set up on a door in a back room. Had about a 20' long range. The owner and other attendant and I would practice using 22 shorts. We pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and reseated the bullet. It left a lot of dents in the door but never penetrated.

Same principle. 6mm Flobert and .22 BB/CB caps have no powder - the priming material serves as the propellant.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Find a local welding shop with a laser welder. Even some jewelry shops have them.

They can lay down a very small bead to build up the worn areas that you can easily file off by hand.

Problem is, I think I'd need a gunsmith that's familiar with this type of fire control group (which is why I think maybe one that specializes in flintlocks or percussion rifles might be a good choice) to identify exactly what the "weak link" is. And I don't want to dump 3 or 400 bucks into a 200 dollar "novelty" rifle.

On a brighter note, my second Flobert rifle arrived today, and I've already tested it and it works just fine. Now I don't know that I'd really classify it as a parlor gun. I think a "garden gun" would be a more apt description. It's an Anschutz bolt action and says it takes 6mm Flobert as well as .22 LR (and I'm guessing .22 short and long as well). Looks pretty much like any early single shot bolt action .22.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Now I don't know that I'd really classify it as a parlor gun. I think a "garden gun" would be a more apt description. .

It is real easy to tell the Flobert Parlor from the Garden Guns.. If you are shooting it in your Garden its a garden gun, If you are shooting it in your parlor its a .. Go on guess.

Now those guns that shoot the 9mm flobert shot shells they are really Garden guns. They still make those today..

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/chiappa-little-badger-review/

Those Brass 9mm shells do not fit the older guns the best but considering how hard it is to find original 9mm flobert they are better than nothing.. And fairly cheap because no one really purchased that little Chiappa.

Two of the greatest Flobert are the French Lebel Buffalo and Cadet training rifle

Designed to help with marksmanship training in France.

Manufrance%201925%20catalogue%20page.png

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Had this gun rack in my closet for years, but never put it up. Finally found a use for it, since the bottom gun doesn't shoot, and the top one is cheap. I've got another one coming that will look more like the bottom one this week sometime, so I'll probably swap it out for the bolt action.

twVwKOS.jpg

MQhUihM.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Had this gun rack in my closet for years, but never put it up. Finally found a use for it, since the bottom gun doesn't shoot, and the top one is cheap. I've got another one coming that will look more like the bottom one this week sometime, so I'll probably swap it out for the bolt action.

twVwKOS.jpg

MQhUihM.jpg

Very nice, you need now to add a couple of appropriate critter head mounts for those guns..

32c48e825e955e6f3d383ada50f6c31a.jpg

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    You know that barrel sure is mighty thick considering how powerful that round is..

Made to be rebored to the next bigger Flobert round when needed. These guns tended to have a hard life - corrosive priming and not cleaned often, if at all. Barrel was the most expensive part of the gun, so was reused when possible.

Problem is, I think I'd need a gunsmith that's familiar with this type of fire control group (which is why I think maybe one that specializes in flintlocks or percussion rifles might be a good choice) to identify exactly what the "weak link" is. And I don't want to dump 3 or 400 bucks into a 200 dollar "novelty" rifle.

I would take it to Jim Fishel in Gosport. He works on old stuff like this. His work is also reasonably priced and he will give you a price before he starts work. Just a wild guess, but you may be able to get this fixed for less than $100. There is not much to these guns. He will have to make parts and fit them because, like Indy said, they were hand made by a bunch of different little shops. Probably needs a trigger return spring and some work on the sear engagement surfaces.

Ofishel Gunworks

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Made to be rebored to the next bigger Flobert round when needed. These guns tended to have a hard life - corrosive priming and not cleaned often, if at all. Barrel was the most expensive part of the gun, so was reused when possible.

I would take it to Jim Fishel in Gosport. He works on old stuff like this. His work is also reasonably priced and he will give you a price before he starts work. Just a wild guess, but you may be able to get this fixed for less than $100. There is not much to these guns. He will have to make parts and fit them because, like Indy said, they were hand made by a bunch of different little shops. Probably needs a trigger return spring and some work on the sear engagement surfaces.

Ofishel Gunworks

Thanks Aaron! I may look into that. It's such a pretty little gun and I hate not being able to shoot it. I've got this one on its way. Was supposed to be here Saturday but the USPS decided to give it a scenic tour from Florida, to Cincinnati, to Indy, to Pittsburgh, back to Cincinnati, and now (allegedly) it's in Indy again. :n00b:

pix607338071.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The latest one arrived today. Compared to the first one, it's a beast! I'd guess it weighs probably between 7 and 8 lbs. and the barrel is really heavy. From across the room, it looks more like a 12 gauge shotgun than a .22 caliber rifle. Here it is (on top) for comparison to the first one.

BTKfqm4.jpg

Top Bottom