Not open for further replies.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    The influenza virus is a different virus that is more seasonal. The corona virus has thrived in tropical climates as well as in colder climates. Not a good comparison.

If you are trying to convince that most families travel far and wide, stay over, and spend as much time indoors in close proximity on Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day as they do for Thanksgiving and Christmas.... good luck hunting with that dog.

For me, mine and everyone I know, those summer holidays are for grilling outdoors and sitting in folding chairs around a cooler of assorted adult drinks.

:dunno:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Absolutely amazing that the Kung Flu killed off regular influenza this year, isnt it? But yet we see the spike we normally would this time of year

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

How do you explain the dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas?

To me it looks like the so-called spikes are merely delayed reporting during the holidays. The dip is when people are not going to get tested and even the ones that are tested are not being reported because of people being off work etc. Then when the immediate holiday is past the cases that occurred during the dips are getting reported and making an artificial spike. You can see the same thing happening on every weekend as well. Weekend numbers are down creating an artificial spike as they catch up. I believe this effect has been noted by various reporting agencies.
    If you average out the dips with the spikes there is virtually no change at all. This is simply a reporting anomaly you are seeing.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Absolutely amazing that the Kung Flu killed off regular influenza this year, isnt it? But yet we see the spike we normally would this time of year
    Apparently, washing your hands and staying home when you're sick stops a flu season in its tracks. (not like they haven't been preaching this for years...)

sFlu1.png
    sFlu2.png

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Sure they have:

1. Late September, full Phase 5 re-opening, restaurants and bars 100% capacity and other increases in large gatherings. (upward exponential started)

2. Mid-November, re-opening roll-back to Phase 3/4, 25%/50% capacity (halted upward acceleration, cases peaked, decaying exponential started)

3. Thanksgiving gatherings (one time surge over the decaying exponential)

4. Christmas gatherings (one time surge over the decaying exponential)

In the past 3 1/2 months there have been four mass changes in behavior in Indiana, each readily reflected as real world changes in infection rate R0.

R0 is a rate, folks. Increased R0 is an acceleration, decreased R0 is a deceleration. There is no "instant" start or stop.

Good info and along with the graph!:thumbsup: I haven't paid much attention to the mandates and such, like I said it was my casual observations in my neck of the woods. The restaurants and stores seem to be as busy as ever around here for the last few months. At least from the drive by, we hardly ever went out to eat before this mess, I think I only ate inside a restaurant once in 2020 LOL

We haven't been living scared of the virus but trying to be smart. Somehow I got it mid December and I literally went no where but work and home the prior week. No idea where it came from but I passed it to my whole family within 3 days. Fortunately for us it was just like any other virus, after a handful of days it was over.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Just for something different I'm going to start paying attention to what's going on with the bank bug in Mexico. Besides having a fair percentage of relatively standardized mestizo population the country has had the forced incursions of African/Mediterranean/European genes and the substantial numbers of Asian slaves that were imported under the Spanish Empire's standard operating procedures. Then, about oh what, ten, fifteen years or so ago, they got hot and heavy on genetic mapping of the population, firing the imaginations of many that it was not just to create a model Mexican and politically disenfranchise the "natives" but also to clear the way for international capital to get its mitts on indigenous peoples' lands. So anyhow, there's data there that may be interesting to look at, to compare with their "covidity". Might be interesting when looking at the spill over into southern California as well.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The influenza virus is a different virus that is more seasonal. The corona virus has thrived in tropical climates as well as in colder climates. Not a good comparison.
    Sure. I remember when people were saying that we'd see coronavirus end during the summer and then come back in the fall. And we mostly did not see that. We did see some drop-off in early summer. But there are a variety of possible causes other than it being summer. And, I pointed out in our discussion here that virus was a problem during the winter here, AND in areas in the Southern Hemisphere where it was summer. So obviously it can still spread in the summer.

But also, the factors that cause the flu to be a "winter" disease I think would tend also to influence the spreading of covid. Again, I'm not trying to say covid is the flu, but the means by which it transmits is thought to be similar. I think it's as reasonable as any cause to suspect that it would be more transmissible in the winter than the summer like the flu is.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Mexico has performed slightly less than 30 COVID tests per 1,000 population.

The US is currently at 800+/1,000 population.

Most developed countries are 400+.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indiana still doing well, in at least a couple important metrics. ICU availability hovering at about 30% now, and hospitalizations continue to edge downward.

Yay us. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom