• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Well, my BCA .22LR upper came in today. I wanted to change the handguard over to an OD Green M-LOK rail I had set back for it, but I cannot for the life of me break the barrel nut loose. I put enough pressure on it to where I was afraid I was going to break the receiver. I even heated it thinking BCA had put Loctite on the barrel nut. No dice. I called BCA and they said their torque range was 35-80 ft lbs. They definitely have more than that on it. They offered to let me send it back under warranty and break it loose for me, which I said no to. I put it together and went out and fired 30 rounds of PMC LRN through it with zero malfunctions and no lube. I was just function checking it and was pleasantly surprised how well it functioned. I will just put some OD green rail covers on it and call it good.
    I took it out yesterday afternoon and put at least 150 more rounds through it. I used CCI Stingers, CCI Mini-Mag solids & HP, Winchester Hi-Speed RN, Remington Viper & Thunderbolt, & PMC LRN. I had one Fail to Fire with Remington Viper over the course of all that and it went the second time. No other malfunctions of any kind were noted. I still have not lubed the bolt. All round fired grouped into under 2" @ 35 yards with the CCI Mini-Mag 40 gr. solids the best. It will shoot them into a nickel. That will be my squirrel load.
    16 inch .22LR Carbine build RS current.jpg

16 inch .22LR Carbine build RS receivers.jpg
    Sorry for the crappy pics on the tailgate.
    Specs are BCA 16" Side Charging upper w/ 15" M-LOK rail, Primary Arms Classic Series 3-9x44 scope in a Burris P.E.P.R mount, Anderson lower, Mapul OD green furniture, The trigger is an Anderson SS trigger with KVP springs. I am planning on adding some Magpul OD green M-LOK rail covers, Magpul front grip and upgrading the trigger to a Geissele G2S for a lighter pull and a little more precision.
    I had watched alot of videos about the upper before I bought it and there were several instances of the chamber wall being cut out for the ejector, resulting in unsupported cases and case blow outs. Mine does not have this issue. There were videos that showed feed issues, FTF, FTE, etc. With the exception of the one failure to fire with a Remington Viper, I experienced none of those issues with my 3 Black Dog Machine magazines and am very pleased with them. Some people removed their buffer and spring, I left mine in. BCA says you do not need it. One video I watched a guy was having feed issues without a buffer and spring, which were resolved by putting those back in. The bolt fits tighter than a standard BCG, and rides very smooth in the receiver. The barrel is a lighter weight profile, but the handguard is heavy, which is one reason I wanted to change it. The right side charger is gonna take some getting used to, but you AK guys out there will be right at home.
    Overall, I am very happy with the BCA upper and think it will make a fine squirrel rifle.

Last edited:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    @tcecil88

I have checked the Black Dog Machine site for a mag which looks like those in your picture, but didn't find any. Is the pictured mag older? I would like a shorter mag as in your picture for prone work.

The CMMG mags are OK, but slow to load, plastic feed lips, and have enough play that every few mags I will end up with a miss feed. Usually on a nearly full mag with what appears to be a nose dive not aligning the round with the feed ramp. (I consider it a malfunction drill ;-) )

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @tcecil88

I have checked the Black Dog Machine site for a mag which looks like those in your picture, but didn't find any. Is the pictured mag older? I would like a shorter mag as in your picture for prone work.

The CMMG mags are OK, but slow to load, plastic feed lips, and have enough play that every few mags I will end up with a miss feed. Usually on a nearly full mag with what appears to be a nose dive not aligning the round with the feed ramp. (I consider it a malfunction drill ;-) )
    I bought the mags when I bought the upper From BCA. $21.00 each. They have 25 rounders too for the same price.
    https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/black-dog-10-rd-22lr-magazine.html

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I can't say enough about mine , 16" rear charge.
    I've owned a dpms and cmmg upper . The bear creek I have is better than both of them . JM2C .
    I ended up with a factory/bc 10 Rd mag when I bought the upper . Sight keep say 25rd mag was restricted in Indiana (fkifiknow) Bought 2, 25 Rd mags cheaper from blk dog cheaper than bc . The upper and all the mags run like a top . I'd definitely refer this upper , rear charger anyway

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I mostly drive a pickup truck with the shift lever on the column. My wife drives an SUV with a console shifter. When I drive my wife's car on occasion, I often find myself absent-mindedly reaching for the shift lever on the column. Old habits die hard and I expect that under extreme stress, I'll do what I have ingrained into my pea brain. I am lucky that my EDC is the gun that I shoot the best of all my carry options. I am concerned about keeping it concealed, so I pocket carry in a good holster. I know that not everyone's clothes selections, preferences or builds allow that, but it works for me. The only drawback is when I'm seated, especially while belted in a vehicle. I'm still trying to figure that out. On rare occasions, I'm asked to volunteer as security at special functions. On those occasions I use an OWB holster, carry a spare magazine in a pouch and wear a large shirt hanging outside to conceal it all. The OWB holster is closely positioned to where my right pocket is located. The OWB holster is because I'm usually seated. The gun I use is still my EDC.
    You might have miss posted this

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I haven't been disappointed with BCA. I have a rear charging 20" 6.5 Grendel and a 10.5" side charging 300 blackout of theirs. Both shoot great. I've only had one issue of a broken extractor in the 6.5 after about 400 rounds, but they made it right and sent me a new one free of charge.

That barrel nut is a pain! I changed my handguard on my 6.5 to Grendel Hunter. You're going to need to put the upper in a vice and use a lot of leverage! Just when I thought I was going to break something, it came loose. BCA has come a long way in the last couple of years. I know I've seen a lot of trash talk online about them because their uppers don't cost $1,000 or more, but my Grendel shot a 3 round, 2.63" group at 715 yards last time I was at Bass and Bucks, which seems pretty dang good to me.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I haven't been disappointed with BCA. I have a rear charging 20" 6.5 Grendel and a 10.5" side charging 300 blackout of theirs. Both shoot great. I've only had one issue of a broken extractor in the 6.5 after about 400 rounds, but they made it right and sent me a new one free of charge.

That barrel nut is a pain! I changed my handguard on my 6.5 to Grendel Hunter. You're going to need to put the upper in a vice and use a lot of leverage! Just when I thought I was going to break something, it came loose. BCA has come a long way in the last couple of years. I know I've seen a lot of trash talk online about them because their uppers don't cost $1,000 or more, but my Grendel shot a 3 round, 2.63" group at 715 yards last time I was at Bass and Bucks, which seems pretty dang good to me.
    What ammo?

700yds is 156 inches of drop with the Hornady Black I've been shooting, and that is out of a 24in barrel.

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Update as promised, I put another hundred rounds through my BCA .22LR this weekend. No issues at all and still no lube. I reconfigured it a little. I got rid of the flash hider and put a fluted muzzle device left over from my Freedom Ordnance FX-9. It is not a flash hider at all and gives it kind of a suppressed look. I was worried changing it would affect accuracy, but it still shoots into a nickel @ 35 yards. I am gonna clean it good when I get home and call it good for squirrel season.
    16 inch .22LR Carbine build RS current.jpg

Top Bottom