• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    My boys have been shooting the red Ryder for a few years now and are asking about a better one. I have an old crossman 760 that we shoot but it’s not much more powerful. What would you recommend for. 10 year old and his big kid dad to shoot? Also what handgun would you recommend? Is CO2 power better? I have never owned a handgun BB gun is it may be cool to have and let them learn on. Any help would be appreciated. I know cost is always asked so let’s say $200-250 for both guns.

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    Keeping it simple, maybe go with a multi pump pneumatic, like the Crosman 362 or Benjamin multi pump. They are both about $110 each. The Seneca Dragonfly has a lot going for it, but it's closer to $200.

For single shot pellet pistol, it's hard to go wrong with a Crosman 2240. There are tons of aftermarket modification parts.

There are a slew of very good CO2 guns out there. Here is a link to Pyramyd air

Scott58

Marksman
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I have several. Co2, PCP, and break barrel. My break barrels get the most use. Don't need a pump. Don't need cartridges. Just grab a tin of pellets and go. My favorite one to shoot is the cheapest. Beeman P17. I put a cheap red dot on it and it's just fun. Having said that I am looking at the Hatsan Jet 1. The pumping is kinda turning me off. Enough of that with my Benjamin Marauder. Not to say any are bad, just comes down to what you want to deal with.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Keeping it simple, maybe go with a multi pump pneumatic, like the Crosman 362 or Benjamin multi pump. They are both about $110 each. The Seneca Dragonfly has a lot going for it, but it's closer to $200.

For single shot pellet pistol, it's hard to go wrong with a Crosman 2240. There are tons of aftermarket modification parts.

There are a slew of very good CO2 guns out there. Here is a link to Pyramyd air
    I am really liking the Dan Wesson 1911.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Jul 19, 2022
    I have always used the daisy powering 880. Cheap, fun, effective. In my youth 100's of rabbits and birds have met their maker.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Well I went ahead and ordered a Umarex XBG. My thought was for $35 try it and make sure they even like it before I buy anything to expensive. But that Dan Wesson is really calling my name. I may have to break down and buy one of those also. Still in the hunt for a larger rifle.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I have always used the daisy powering 880. Cheap, fun, effective. In my youth 100's of rabbits and birds have met their maker.
    I was looking at the 880 and the crossman 1077 but think I talked myself out of the 1077. There is way too many to choose from. I guess that’s how it is for “real” find also. Maybe that’s why you can’t only have one. Maybe I should just buy multiples air guns.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If you're interested I've got a DPMR SBR c02 bb gun. It's fully auto. My kids don't use it all that much. It's not all that accurate as best I can tell, but fully auto is pretty fun

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Now that you've got a side arm, time for a long gun.
    Crossman Brushmaster MPW...

Well crap so much for my budget plan. I should have know not to ask here for advice. I never seem to stay on track. I always tell my buddies that want to rebuild old cars. Come up with a budget that you want to spend. Then double that number and throw it out the window and that is where you will end up. It always seems to cost 2-3 times more. Hell we are at $60k in the 55 Chevy build.

Hunter58

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I picked one of these up last year. It's been fun. It's CO2 and I average around 60 shots per cartridge. they claimed the shots are metered; I have no way of telling. The blowback action is great. Overall fun little BB gun. Paid around $109 on Pyramid Air.
    1681216795151.png

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    We just purchased this one for my daughter. It’s an exact replica of the Colt Defender. Very sturdy because it’s made of all metal and it’s nice to shoot. It takes CO2 and.177 BB’s. Cost around $75. The only downside is the max capacity it holds is 17 BB’s so you have to refill it often. But my daughter (and dad) loves it! We were even able to find an actual kydex holster for it at a local gun shop.

blain

Expert
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Well crap so much for my budget plan. I should have know not to ask here for advice. I never seem to stay on track. I always tell my buddies that want to rebuild old cars. Come up with a budget that you want to spend. Then double that number and throw it out the window and that is where you will end up. It always seems to cost 2-3 times more. Hell we are at $60k in the 55 Chevy build.
    Wait, don't hit that order button just yet!
    Check out the Barra 400E (electric full auto BB rifle)

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Well I went ahead and ordered a Umarex XBG. My thought was for $35 try it and make sure they even like it before I buy anything to expensive. But that Dan Wesson is really calling my name. I may have to break down and buy one of those also. Still in the hunt for a larger rifle.
    Well this was a waste. The trigger is so heavy my wife and 10 year old had a hard time shooting it. My wife shot 4 bb’s and handed it back to me and said that thing sucks. Lol

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    So this one is on order now and will be here Thursday. I am kind of excited about this one. I may have also ordered the umarex 10/22.

Attachments

• 20B65DCD-3942-4CBB-A04F-74DBEF0E42C8.png
      20B65DCD-3942-4CBB-A04F-74DBEF0E42C8.png
      974.5 KB · Views: 4
    Top Bottom