Bayer to Pull Glyphosate Products, Including Roundup, From U.S. Home and Garden Market

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I was just out in the yard yesterday spot spraying some pesky weeds with Roundup. I have nearly a full gallon to use up. I guess will be looking at an early demise.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Sorry, not much sympathy here for people that misuse a product nobody forced them to buy. I don't mean I don't feel bad for someone who gets cancer, just the idiocy of blaming a product. They buy a chemical that basically KILLS any plant it touches. Let's think about for a second/minute/hour. It KILLS any plant it touches. Common sense should tell anyone using the product it is not good to spray yourself with it, to rigorously avoid the spray. To say after the fact that "I didn't know it was bad for me, it causes cancer" directly reflects the "not my fault" prevalent attitude of today. They obviously didn't read the lengthy warning label on every container. I used roundup and other pesticides for decades when farming. I knew the risks and mitigated the risks as well as possible. If I get cancer, it won't be roundups fault. It is the risk of using chemicals and other products that KILL other living things. If you don't want to take any risks, stay in bed.

50+ years of producers telling consumers it's 100% safe for humans,
    RoundUp even advertised it was safe enough to drink,
    But when CEO/lawyers were challenged to do just that (drink it) they refused.

I've been to Monsanto, it's a firing offense to expose even 1 inch of your skin, full chemical suits...
    And yet they advertise it's safe enough to drink?

Another one of the big lies,
    "Truth In Advertising"

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Like HougeMade, I use the generic 41% Glyphosate with Dawn as a surfactant.

I'm for sure gonna be dead soon, because I spray it barefoot in shorts. :n00b: I wear a lot of the evil weed killer at least once a month, during the season. Same as I have for the last twenty years.
    I've always been a skeptic about chemicals that kill foliage and pests as being 100% safe for humans, and pets lol!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :dunno:

I spray off with the hose, when I'm done. :scratch:

Nothing wrong with being cautious, I even had the jab.

Please show proof that Glyphosate is carcinogenic. Link, please...

Not Fuacci or lawyer or liberal "settled science" proof, real definitive proof.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

I heard that "Medical Professionals" said so.... Why question that?

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

Understand the frustration, but probably a moot point now. If the ambulance chasers got the biggest producer to quit making it available, it’ll be no time until those without deep pockets decide it’s not worth it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    A F.B. friend of mine was an exchange student back in the day. He lives in Belgium and is more than just a little pink.

Lawsuits and protests against roundup are a thing all across the E.U. Our own media won't touch it, because, frankly, they are bought and paid for.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Nothing in life is 100% safe. Humanity has known that it is the dose that makes the poison for several centuries and the first rule of statistics has long been that correlation is not causation. The only thing that has changed is that some greedy lawyers have discovered it is fun and profitable to convince dumb/gullible jurors otherwise.

Dihydrogen monoxide has killed far more people than glyphosate, fortunately no lawyers have figured out how to sue its Creator, yet.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is the crux of their issue.

I have no clue if it caused the cancer or not. I for one do not trust Monsato saying it is perfectly harmless. I've always kept covered and showered right after applying it if I was doing anything more than a spot or two. I'm of the belief that anything that is designed to kill something like that is probably not going to be good for me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last jug of roundup i bought was pretty darn weak. Dunno if home store stuff was wussed out, a bad batch or expired/ shelf life.

I dunno. It was pathetic
    I was having trouble with exactly this a few years back. INGO member, who is a professional in the field, suggested adding a surfactant to the generic glyphosate. Solved the issue.

I use a dozen squirts of Dawn, from a hand soap dispenser, in 6oz of glyphosate mixed in a two gallon sprayer of water. Just reloaded this mix 4 times this afternoon. We'll see if I beat the rain by enough...

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Last jug of roundup i bought was pretty darn weak. Dunno if home store stuff was wussed out, a bad batch or expired/ shelf life.

I dunno. It was pathetic
    Check the % of active ingredient, most residential products are much less concentrated than ag/commercial RoundUp or other glyphosate products.

As BW said, add a surfactant, crop oil, or plain dish soap.

Minerals in water can ”tie up” active ingredient making it much less effective. Soft water rather than hard water can help. I use an ag additive named Reflex.

Also:
    Do not apply while foliage is wet.
    After applying, product needs to dry on foliage before rain.
    More foliage ( leaf surfaces ) covered = better results.
    Spray when plants are young. “Old” plants can “harden” reducing herbicide activity.
    Drought can reduce intake of herbicides. Spray when weeds are actively growing.
    Do not mow or cut plants for at least 3 days following application.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    But when CEO/lawyers were challenged to do just that (drink it) they refused.

I've been to Monsanto, it's a firing offense to expose even 1 inch of your skin, full chemical suits...
    And yet they advertise it's safe enough to drink?

Another one of the big lies,
    "Truth In Advertising"
    Boy oh boy I never thought I’d agree with everything in one of JH’s posts, but here we are.
    We were told that once it hits the ground, “it’s like it disappears”. Even if they meant “it’s inert”, they lied. It’s nasty stuff for a long time in the ground.
    I’ve got boatloads, hours and hours, of drift exposure of roundup and 2-4-d from an open cab tractor way back in the day.
    They lied, and all I have is hope.
    Everyone processes and reacts to it differently, so that’s my hope.

We work hard to avoid all roundup use on our farm but can’t completely, mainly because they lied out of greed.

As far as letting it get on your skin, it is a relatively safe one, compared to say
    paraquat and many others that were declared ok to use for the general public.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    What good does this do if they are still spraying it on crops?
    Years ago I would have told you “that’s not how it works”, not so sure anymore. Then I would have said it’s a contact thing. People think it’s in the air but it’s not.
    Now all I’ll say, is that in many parts of the world it is approved to spray as pre harvest desiccation to aid in harvest. I used to think it wasn’t present after it dried but now I think that practice is disgusting. My thinking is definitely swayed by the (conspiracy?) theory that this can cause gluten intolerance, of which my wife is a ‘victim’.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Now all I’ll say, is that in many parts of the world it is approved to spray as pre harvest desiccation to aid in harvest. I used to think it wasn’t present after it dried but now I think that practice is disgusting. My thinking is definitely swayed by the (conspiracy?) theory that this can cause gluten intolerance, of which my wife is a ‘victim’.
    It’s on your cereal, I also can’t tolerate wheat products anymore. It’s horrible

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    It’s on your cereal, I also can’t tolerate wheat products anymore. It’s horrible

That’s just disgusting, all in the name of greed.
    That being said, I still feel like I don’t know who to trust. EWG or FDA/EPA? Feeling homeless.

Also surprised there’s not a GF cooking/recipe thread around here…

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    And when I say I grow & preserve most of my own foods, I get made fun of for doing work...

It's a CLEAN FOOD issue, has nothing to do with any political/religious or whatever issue.
    It's about clean food.

It's like premium ammo, you don't 'Save' anything reloading, but you get exactly what you want, and when compared to premium ammo, it's a little cheaper.

Same with food, it's premium, exactly what I want/eat, and it's cheaper than so called 'Organic'.

While everyone is worried about glyphosate, there are on average 6 man made persistent chemicals on grains,
    15-20 persistent chemicals on produce.

Now, I'm aware there are 'Conservatives' that want to bring back lead paint, take seatbelts & airbags out of cars, hand out machine guns in pre-schools, sell heroine at the store counter with gum & candy,

... But I'm thinking it's probably a bad idea to do so...
    There is a reason we don't do this stuff anymore,
    And there is a reason it took LAWS to make people stop doing it.

Just for an example, the 'plastic' metal can liner (known a BPA) was originally tested as a chemical warfare agent, and as birth control before this petroleum waste product made it's way into the common food supply.
    Virtually every metal can was lined with BPA for years, and it's still widely used in the USA...

It's up to you, decide the risks you want to expose yourself & family to.

Top Bottom