Bayer to Pull Glyphosate Products, Including Roundup, From U.S. Home and Garden Market

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

...In January 2020, after receiving and considering public comments on the glyphosate proposed interim decision, EPA released the interim decision for registration review. As part of this action, EPA continues to find that there are no risks of concern to human health when glyphosate is used in accordance with its current label. EPA also found that glyphosate is unlikely to be a human carcinogen. EPA is requiring management measures to help farmers target pesticide sprays to intended pests, protect pollinators, and reduce the problem of weeds becoming resistant to glyphosate...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

...In January 2020, after receiving and considering public comments on the glyphosate proposed interim decision, EPA released the interim decision for registration review. As part of this action, EPA continues to find that there are no risks of concern to human health when glyphosate is used in accordance with its current label. EPA also found that glyphosate is unlikely to be a human carcinogen. EPA is requiring management measures to help farmers target pesticide sprays to intended pests, protect pollinators, and reduce the problem of weeds becoming resistant to glyphosate...
    Been reading this thread with some interest.

Not gonna trust a gov't study stand alone though. Especially in matters of health. Especially in the age of Covid.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Very interesting conversation that Joe has with Bartoe Elmore, a guy that has dug deep into Monsanto's history, and big business in general. They go into a farming conversation, which I agree with for the most part, until Joe talks about why he won't buy meat. I think he's mislead, but whatever. Overall a very good conversation the whole way through.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    There is no doubt that chemical pesticides are potentially dangerous. They're designed and marketed to kill living tissue. But! there is PPE's, aseptic techniques, following the label (label is law). More people are around chems, interact with chems and eat food products treated with chems than not. More people than not aren't harmed by chems. The sun can cause cancer if protective sensibilities aren't used. Vinegar, the vaunted 'all natural' cleanser, disinfectant, pesticide, herbicide can cause various injuries to those that mishandle it. You don't want chemicals used in your space? Don't use them. You want to use chemicals in your space? Use them responsibly.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is no doubt that chemical pesticides are potentially dangerous. They're designed and marketed to kill living tissue. But! there is PPE's, aseptic techniques, following the label (label is law). More people are around chems, interact with chems and eat food products treated with chems than not. More people than not aren't harmed by chems. The sun can cause cancer if protective sensibilities aren't used. Vinegar, the vaunted 'all natural' cleanser, disinfectant, pesticide, herbicide can cause various injuries to those that mishandle it. You don't want chemicals used in your space? Don't use them. You want to use chemicals in your space? Use them responsibly.
    Dad used to work for both the Indiana Health Department and later the Marion County Health Department as director of Environmental Sanitation. We used to store Dioxin (Agent Orange) in our shed, along with DDT, Malathion, Carbon Tetrachloride, etc.. When the EPA wanted to ban DDT, Dad said that DDT had probably saved more lives (through eradication of mosquito born malaria) than penicillin.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Dad used to work for both the Indiana Health Department and later the Marion County Health Department as director of Environmental Sanitation. We used to store Dioxin (Agent Orange) in our shed, along with DDT, Malathion, Carbon Tetrachloride, etc.. When the EPA wanted to ban DDT, Dad said that DDT had probably saved more lives (through eradication of mosquito born malaria) than penicillin.
    My step-grandfather died from skin cancer due to Agent Orange Exposure.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Dad had a contact in the highway department and was able to get the dioxin from them. They used to use it to control clover along the interstates.
    Things are always safe, until they aren't. There is a long list of things that were supposed to be safe that ended up not being so in the end.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My dad drove a semi for a local chemical supplier for years. He used to get scratch-n-dent containers of various herbicides and pesticides. Every summer he'd mix up a batch of his signature bug killer. It contained stuff like Malathion, Dursban, Isotox, Seven, etc. I remember watching him mix it up and reading the labels that clearly said, DO NOT MIX THIS WITH ANY OTHER PRODUCT. I pointed this out one time, he was unconcerned.

People who visited our house in the summer were always impressed at the complete lack of bugs in our yard. Hell, as little kids we had to venture way out into the surrounding fields to just catch lightning bugs.:D

These days we just use Tempo SC Ultra. Supposedly pretty safe for 2 and 4 legged critters and kills about every bug out there. I used to keep a sprayer in the barn when the kids had 4h pigs. I'd spray the pig pens every other day to control flies. I mixed it pretty strong for that and it would knock flies right outta the air.

I found this out in the barn years ago...

84yUGqZl.jpg

It's 3/4 full, but I just keep it on a shelf with various other antiques.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    These days we just use Tempo SC Ultra
    This is a residual chem. Great for buggies. Hard/lethal for amphibians and fish. It is labeled for commercial kitchens though. Extremely effective, long lasting, non-leaching, albeit not selective. Knockdown chems are usually used for bees, wasp, etc. The point being the bug chokes-out immediately. Bifenthrin isn't a very good knockdown chem when used according to label. Flying insects are one of the trickier critters to control, specifically at commercial or industrial sites used for food production. Accidents and misuse are exactly that. Sad when they happen but not exactly indicative of a chems safety or lethality. Without pesticides, farm production would struggle for yields. I know I'd prefer to never be exposed to pesticide chems, but the alternative (non-use) isn't appealing either. The LD50 standard can often be used to get a better feel for potential lethality in relative terms, sans accidents and misuse.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    My dad drove a semi for a local chemical supplier for years. He used to get scratch-n-dent containers of various herbicides and pesticides. Every summer he'd mix up a batch of his signature bug killer. It contained stuff like Malathion, Dursban, Isotox, Seven, etc. I remember watching him mix it up and reading the labels that clearly said, DO NOT MIX THIS WITH ANY OTHER PRODUCT. I pointed this out one time, he was unconcerned.

People who visited our house in the summer were always impressed at the complete lack of bugs in our yard. Hell, as little kids we had to venture way out into the surrounding fields to just catch lightning bugs.:D

These days we just use Tempo SC Ultra. Supposedly pretty safe for 2 and 4 legged critters and kills about every bug out there. I used to keep a sprayer in the barn when the kids had 4h pigs. I'd spray the pig pens every other day to control flies. I mixed it pretty strong for that and it would knock flies right outta the air.

I found this out in the barn years ago...

84yUGqZl.jpg

It's 3/4 full, but I just keep it on a shelf with various other antiques.
    It would be neat send a sample for testing. I'd be curious if the molecular was as it was originally.

Top Bottom