Bayer to Pull Glyphosate Products, Including Roundup, From U.S. Home and Garden Market

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    10 Billion dollars is a lot of money. I saw a comparison of a billion vs. a million somewhere (maybe here, not sure) where a million seconds is 12 days and a billion seconds is 31 years.

That being said, millions of people have used Roundup for years. Not all of them will get cancer and get compensation. It would be interesting to learn what the annual gross dollar sales of Glyphosate amounts to.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    10 Billion dollars is a lot of money. I saw a comparison of a billion vs. a million somewhere (maybe here, not sure) where a million seconds is 12 days and a billion seconds is 31 years.

That being said, millions of people have used Roundup for years. Not all of them will get cancer and get compensation. It would be interesting to learn what the annual gross dollar sales of Glyphosate amounts to.
    And, they’re not pulling out of the agricultural market, just the home one. I’m sure they make several times more from farmers and such than “Joe gardener”.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder if Bayer's pulling out of the consumer Roundup glyphosate market (in 2023) will effect the consumer generic brands?

Do the other companies make their own glyphosate?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Bayer's decision comes in response to the many lawsuits related to glyphosate that it inherited when it acquired Monsanto in 2018. Juries sided with the plaintiffs in three highly-watched trials before Bayer settled around 95,000 cases in 2020 to the tune of $10 billion.

Attorneys gonna attorney.

I like my flamethrower for weed removal. (Ok, propane torch, but flame thrower sounds cooler)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I haven't bought "Roundup" for years.

I have been using 41% Glyphosate from TSC or another farm store. Why pay for the name?

Mix it to the strength recommended and put in a tablespoon of Methylated Seed Oil per gallon, or if you are really cheap, dish soap, and it works great.

The science is not settled on any causal connection.

Many people out there that still think that silicone breast implants cause autoimmune problems, but the the best evidence shows they do not and never did. Lawsuits about what chemical does what in the long term are all about what you can get past a judge and what you can get a jury to buy. They are only tangentially related to verifiable "truth".

Before U.S. Sup. Ct. case Daubert v. Merrill-Dow Pharmaceuticals in 1993, "scientific" evidence had to have a "generally accepted" basis. Since that case, the standard has been more along the lines that the "scientific" testimony had to be capable of being tested and reviewed. However, an "expert" can testify to it even if the scientific "jury" is still out. There's a lot more to it than that, but it made many more opinions admissible that never would have been before. In my opinion, it has allowed "junk science" into the courtroom on a regular basis. The idea was to make the adversarial process search out the "truth" and letting the jury decide rather than deciding whether the conclusions were sound before letting a jury hear them.

Unfortunately, juries have a tendency to believe the newest, most scary sounding thing. Look up the "reptile theory" of litigation if you are interested.

In the mean time, if I need to kill weeds, but don't want the soil affected after the kill, I'll still use Glyophosate...and I'm not worried.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

You are making a VERY big leap there...
    Been on farms almost all my life, and most of the chemicals we used like crazy are now banned.

I'm stuck with long term exposure (having had two rounds of cancer and battling a degenerative muscular disease now, all linked directly to farm & shop chemicals), and I'll have to finance my own court case should I try and get compensation.

Some of these chemicals are a FEDERAL OFFENSE to have ANY quantity left over.
    You can go to prison for simply having empty containers left over...
    And YES, it's happened.

You completely ignored the people that died from exposure both before these chemicals were known to cause diseases, and all those that died without filing court cases, or died waiting for courts to deal with cases.

AND...
    Keep in mind that most 'Glyphosate' is made in China and imported.
    If it's not processed VERY carefully, you STILL get Dioxin, and imported 'Glyphosate' is up to 50% Dioxin.

Places like Monsanto Chemical stopped making 'Glyphosate' in the US because it's expensive to make it correctly, so they simply import from China where it's up to 50% Dioxin, banned in the US.

Another of those big lies sold to America,
    "Better Living Through Chemistry",
    Right up there with,
    "Capitalism is the opposite of Communism",
    "Cigarettes/Tobacco" are safe,

Some of us remember when 'RoundUp' was Dioxin (2,4,5,T the active ingredient in "Agent Orange") and were in the military spraying the huge stockpiles the military had left over after Dioxin/Agent Orange was banned.

The Greeks knew lead made people crazy, yet it was the 1970's before partial lead bans were thrown down.

Even the government covered up the dangers of Asbestos until recently,
    I'm old enough to remember when ground asbestos was sold as baby powder, ground to the exact size to penetrated deepest into lungs.

When asbestos was banned in baby powder, it was repackaged as 'Body Powder', supposedly aimed at adults.
    Since asbestos is cheaper than corn starch (what baby powder switched to) there are current law suits about asbestos in 'Body Powder'...
    AND,
    There is still Asbestos use allowed in the US, such as in brake shoes...
    Asbestos gets ground into a fine powder, and inflicted on unsuspecting service people when brakes are changed.
    This is because alternatives are more expensive, mining & manufacturers bought congress members...

You have an absolute right to be a science denier.
    Just don't expect everyone to sign off on your 'Ideas'...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think if Bayer is dropping it, others will follow. Lawyers scare people

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Sorry, not much sympathy here for people that misuse a product nobody forced them to buy. I don't mean I don't feel bad for someone who gets cancer, just the idiocy of blaming a product. They buy a chemical that basically KILLS any plant it touches. Let's think about for a second/minute/hour. It KILLS any plant it touches. Common sense should tell anyone using the product it is not good to spray yourself with it, to rigorously avoid the spray. To say after the fact that "I didn't know it was bad for me, it causes cancer" directly reflects the "not my fault" prevalent attitude of today. They obviously didn't read the lengthy warning label on every container. I used roundup and other pesticides for decades when farming. I knew the risks and mitigated the risks as well as possible. If I get cancer, it won't be roundups fault. It is the risk of using chemicals and other products that KILL other living things. If you don't want to take any risks, stay in bed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    From the article...

...The World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer declared that it was "probably carcinogenic to humans," in 2015. While the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under former President Donald Trump ruled that the chemical did not pose any risk to human health...

That's WHO/Fauci "science" right there. Definitely believable.:rolleyes:

You really have to sort out where the "science" message comes from these days.

BBI said it right... "
    Attorneys gonna attorney"

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I haven't bought "Roundup" for years.

I have been using 41% Glyphosate from TSC or another farm store. Why pay for the name?

Mix it to the strength recommended and put in a tablespoon of Methylated Seed Oil per gallon, or if you are really cheap, dish soap, and it works great.

The science is not settled on any causal connection.

Many people out there that still think that silicone breast implants cause autoimmune problems, but the the best evidence shows they do not and never did. Lawsuits about what chemical does what in the long term are all about what you can get past a judge and what you can get a jury to buy. They are only tangentially related to verifiable "truth".

Before U.S. Sup. Ct. case Daubert v. Merrill-Dow Pharmaceuticals in 1993, "scientific" evidence had to have a "generally accepted" basis. Since that case, the standard has been more along the lines that the "scientific" testimony had to be capable of being tested and reviewed. However, an "expert" can testify to it even if the scientific "jury" is still out. There's a lot more to it than that, but it made many more opinions admissible that never would have been before. In my opinion, it has allowed "junk science" into the courtroom on a regular basis. The idea was to make the adversarial process search out the "truth" and letting the jury decide rather than deciding whether the conclusions were sound before letting a jury hear them.

Unfortunately, juries have a tendency to believe the newest, most scary sounding thing. Look up the "reptile theory" of litigation if you are interested.

In the mean time, if I need to kill weeds, but don't want the soil affected after the kill, I'll still use Glyophosate...and I'm not worried.
    This... I wear gloves when handling it, avoid spraying it on myself, and neither drink it nor vape it. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This... I wear gloves when handling it, avoid spraying it on myself, and neither drink it nor vape it. :)
    Like HougeMade, I use the generic 41% Glyphosate with Dawn as a surfactant.

I'm for sure gonna be dead soon, because I spray it barefoot in shorts. :n00b: I wear a lot of the evil weed killer at least once a month, during the season. Same as I have for the last twenty years.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Worked in the chemical industry my entire life and watched things come and go. It's like Hough said, much of it is what you can get past a judge and jury. Pumping up the hysteria generates money.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Maybe none of them will get cancer. Never been proven to cause cancer.

Top Bottom