• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have a old large Husqvarna that is a beast but overkill for most of my cleanup & harder for me to wield that it used to be.

Any recommendations for a battery powered saw, say 12"-16"?
    Thinking about a battery powered pole chainsaw as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm a fan of Ryobi. They work well. Ive worked with both the 18v and 40v. Both work VERY well for trim work.

I also have use the greenworks 40v and they are OK too. The only complaint about the Greenworks is it's battery is VERY hard to release. I ended up with one After I kept having to go to my mom's to move the battery around for her. Her arthritis in her hands kept her from squeezing hard enough. But the arthritis isnt bad enough to prevent her from working in the yard.

So I bought her a 18v Ryobi since she already had the trimmer and it works well for her and is easy enough to change batteries.

EDIT: 18v for comfort, 40v for power. When I use the 40v stuff at my church, it is good but heavy and tiring after a while. I dont experience that at home with my 18v stuff.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    After using a Stihl 'Farm Boss' for a number of years, I had to switch to something lighter (lumbar surgery).
    The 16" 56 volt EGO chainsaw is about 2/3 the weight, and has been a joy to use.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have the Green works battery pole saw and I love it for what it is.
    It has an 8" bar, an 11' pole, and a 40v battery.
    It makes quick work of anything under about 4" in diameter, but best on about 2".
    I use mine on my property to thin out the Asian honeysuckle.
    I can reach up under the bush without getting on my hands and knees.
    It also takes low hanging branches well.

I saw a Green works battery blower on sale around black Friday and I bought it because it uses the same battery as the pole saw.
    I got a cheap blower that works well enough, but more important, I got a second battery and charger for the pole saw!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have each of the Dewalt saws (12, 16, 18, 20”). I’m already heavily invested in the Flexvolt 20/60v batteries and a ton of other tools. They’ve mostly replaced my smaller gas saws (I now own 11 chainsaws) and about the only time I fire up the larger saws is for felling and bucking.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My need was really pretty small and I bought a no name from Amazon. It says CUB on it. It is crap. It is low power. The battery lasts maybe 10 minutes on light duty and the bar + drive sprocket wore so fast the chain was falling off by the 2nd recharge. Take my advice, whatever price seems good, spend more.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do you already have battery powered tools, what brand?
    THIS. for small saws for trimming and felling under 4-5", in my experience it really doesnt matter. Just get what you already have batteries for.

I took down a 20' 6" with the greenworks easily.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have ego and have abused it I am going to get the rancher for bigger work but no complaints with ego

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've had a Kobalt 40V for about 5 years and I've been entirely happy with it. It is nice and light but will handle jobs well outside its weight class.

Top Bottom