• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Bringing back an old thread. I am looking to see what I need to fill the gaps. I know a few, but looking for something I may not have thought of yet.

I have a Midland 29LTD complete w/antenna- All sitting on a shelf, not in a vehicle.

I have 8- Motorola Walkie Talkies- All match. All work.

One Kenwood TS-820S ham radio. Good working condition. I have zero idea on how to use it, none. No antenna, no mic.

And I have a pair of Cobra handheld CB's w/ magnet antennas.

I know I need an antenna for the ham and learn how to use it. I am also thinking of getting an old CB base station just in case. Also thinking of getting a newer scanner like a handheld Uniden which can pick up most anything. Missing anything else?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bringing back an old thread. I am looking to see what I need to fill the gaps. I know a few, but looking for something I may not have thought of yet.

I have a Midland 29LTD complete w/antenna- All sitting on a shelf, not in a vehicle.

One Kenwood TS-820S ham radio. Good working condition. I have zero idea on how to use it, none. No antenna, no mic.

I know I need an antenna for the ham and learn how to use it. I am also thinking of getting an old CB base station just in case. Also thinking of getting a newer scanner like a handheld Uniden which can pick up most anything. Missing anything else?

Yes. Two things.
    Ham Radio General license. (have to pass the super easy tech license first)
    Partner with a ham radio Elmer to guide you along. (Elmers are guys who like to menor new hams)

The studying for the general will give you most of the info you need to figure out the antenna. There is no easy "here buy this and plug it in" answer. (there is a different antenna for each band is the shortest answer)
    And if you dont quite pick it all up while studying, youtube and an Elmer will fill in the blanks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

And looking closer at that radio, I dont think you have all you need. When I looked it up, This line stood out.
    (This transceiver does not have general coverage receive). The TS-820S can be used with the Kenwood R-820 receiver.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    And looking closer at that radio, I dont think you have all you need. When I looked it up, This line stood out.

Whats that mean?

I went down in the basement and looked its a Kenwood TS-820. . . . No "S" on the end like I mentioned above. It looks like this one. This is the one I have.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Whats that mean?

I went down in the basement and looked its a Kenwood TS-820. . . . No "S" on the end like I mentioned above. It looks like this one. This is the one I have.

Im not sure. I am not familiar with this radio. But one of the reputable sites that sells these things new and used, makes that note.

Meaning you may only have the transmitter, or only half of what is required to operate. But Im not sure because I've never used one of these older units before. But the fact that they warn you it doesnt have a receiver, makes me think what you have only transmits.

Edit: I just reached out to the hive mind of a local radio club for clarification.

Last edited:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Been reading about these things for awhile. A couple buddies i worked with years back were big into them and i think 1 was even some type of teacher or something for hams..
    So.. I got a really great question. Not sure if it will be taken lite.
    If things went bad and all..would it really matter if 1 had a radio license or not. I don't see it making a difference 1 bit. So why not get 1, learn about an such so then if it come down to it..your set.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK, you are GTG with that transceiver. From gents smarter than me:

TS-820 is a ham band only rig. covers 160-10m bands. it will not do general coverage rx like modern rigs the ts820 will work fine for the guy for the ham bands.
    the r-820 is a receiver only that only covers 5.9-6.4, 9.4-9.9, 11.5-12, 15-15.5 and 17.7-18.2 MHz. r820 isn't needed to work the ham bands

R820, I believe, ALSO covers those bands. Its primary range was the 160-10m pre-WARC bands

The TS-820 is a transceiver. It will receive and transmit.

The 820 (most were 820S, with digital display) was a top-of-the-line rig in the late 70s. It doesn't cover 60, 30, 17, or 12 meters (they weren't ham bands then), but will still hold its own against more modern rigs. Excellent receiver.

Been reading about these things for awhile. A couple buddies i worked with years back were big into them and i think 1 was even some type of teacher or something for hams..
    So.. I got a really great question. Not sure if it will be taken lite.
    If things went bad and all..would it really matter if 1 had a radio license or not. I don't see it making a difference 1 bit. So why not get 1, learn about an such so then if it come down to it..your set.

The license suggestion in this case is learning AND for practicing. As part of the study for the test, he will learn a LOT of what he needs to know. AND be able to utilize that now to practice and know how to run it.

But yes, after the fertilizer strikes the air acceleration device, nobody is going to care about licenses. In fact the FCC even has emergency exemptions to allow unlicensed individuals to transmit.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    But yes, after the fertilizer strikes the air acceleration device, nobody is going to care about licenses. In fact the FCC even has emergency exemptions to allow unlicensed individuals to transmit.
    Ok..was just thinking about a situations...get something now so you have it later.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    35 dollar GMRS FEE for 10 years for the family.
    midland 50 watt GMRS radio.

CB’s seem to be dead. Midlands gmrs will give you repeater upside and a long range G connect about 10 miles and will work with the older fmrs radios.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok..was just thinking about a situations...get something now so you have it later.
    But just buying and not doing anything until after the disaster is a bad plan. It will ge a LOT harder to find somebody to help you learn then.

So you’ll need the license at least to train for the worst.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    35 dollar GMRS FEE for 10 years for the family.
    midland 50 watt GMRS radio.

CB’s seem to be dead. Midlands gmrs will give you repeater upside and a long range G connect about 10 miles and will work with the older fmrs radios.
    Dont count on much range with GMRS. Even with the full 5 watts. Unless you have a repeater. I tried it on vacation. Full 5 watts. (most clamshells are not a full 5) just over a mile, NLOS. just trees between me and the other side. I was on a dock, my wife across the island at our cottage on the opposite shore. GTG. But if she would walk 50 yards to the beach, NOTHING.

(and yes, it has more to do with receiver sensitivity, elevation, etc. than raw power. )

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    If you trust your life and safety to a $29 radio from China, then buy a Baofeng. If you think the ham repeaters will still be up when the cells are down, good luck. If the cells are down it's because of a power outage, cell towers are usually backed up with sophisticated backup power generation good for as long as the fuel holds out....amateur repeaters not so much.
    Or the Government shuts cell towers off

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    AVOID. At least if you want to use them for GMRS/FRS.
    There is no guarantee you can program them for those frequencies because they are not certified for that use.

The FCC cracked down on their import. The only way they were allowed to be imported again was to block the FRS/GMRS range. SOME can be reset and programmed. But there is no guarantee. (you have to find new-old stock)

BF did release a specific GMRS radio in the exact same shell. They are GTG and not that much more. Uses all the same accessories, chargers, batteries etc as the ham version.

Amazon product ASIN B08T9BCXVB
    Just make sure if you try the UV5-R radios that you reset them/reprogram and verify you can actually TX on the frequency you want before the return window closes. (and make sure its through Prime with free refunds. )

I bought 4 to put in the metal box for later. it took me 8 I think to find 4 that would take the frequencies.

Last edited:

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    AVOID. At least if you want to use them for GMRS/FRS.
    There is no guarantee you can program them for those frequencies because they are not certified for that use.

The FCC cracked down on their import. The only way they were allowed to be imported again was to block the FRS/GMRS range. SOME can be reset and programmed. But there is no guarantee. (you have to find new-old stock)

BF did release a specific GMRS radio in the exact same shell. They are GTG and not that much more. Uses all the same accessories, chargers, batteries etc as the ham version.

Amazon product ASIN B08T9BCXVB
    Just make sure if you try the UV5-R radios that you reset them/reprogram and verify you can actually TX on the frequency you want before the return window closes. (and make sure its through Prime with free refunds. )

I bought 4 to put in the metal box for later. it took me 8 I think to find 4 that would take the frequencies.
    Whats the difference for. What I pisted vs what you posted?

There are a few youtube videos that show how to unlock the frequencies.

We are going to buy ours soon, mainly for a patrol tonbase style radio.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Or the Government shuts cell towers off
    And it doesnt take much to overwhelm cell towers, even when they are up.

I took my family to Franklin TN for the eclipse several years ago.

We stopped at Elizabethtown for lunch. Its a great exit with tons of choices. And the area was packed. Like, Christmas as the mall packed. Insanity. EVERY LAST RESTAURANT was slammed.

Wife and I split up at Wendy's to find which was the best route, standing in line or using the drive through. I got close to the speaker and couldnt call or text her to let her know I was ready to order. Luckily she came out because she couldnt reach me either and we placed the order and were on our way. Pure luck. (she saw the cars were moving but her line wasnt)

Our texts were not delivered until 10 miles down the road once we were clear of the overloaded towers.
    Moral of the story? Take your radios when you go someplace you expect to be super busy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Mine are JUST for GMRS/FRS. Its the UV-5X. Not the 5r. Same shell, different guts. (and a fixed antenna) They are certified for that specific use, but no ham radio use. And parts (except for antenna) are interchangeable.

The 5r USED to be able to do it. Officially all new stock cannot due to FCC crackdowns. Like I said, if you want FRS* you will need to find old stock radios to do it. (transmitting on a new stock IF you can get it to take the programming, When you transmit it will simply lock the radio up until you power cycle it.

*for this discussion I mean both FRS/GMRS frequencies from this point forward.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

And you are welcome to try those radios. Just quickly (and carefully without losing packaging so they can be returned for a refund) make sure you can program AND transmit on FRS frequencies. If you cant or the radio just locks when you try, pack them up and return them.

OOB they wont take the programming or will just lock when you TX. So if thats the case perform an unlock* and try. Some of the units have been reported that OOB they are compliant but doing the unlock overwrites the lock that satisfies the FCC for import. As I stated, I had mixed results and returned the ones that wouldnt unlock. (and purchased 5Xs for daily family use)

*there are youtube videos showing how to bypass it by turning it on and holding certain buttons down. youtube search "How To Unlock A New Baofeng UV-5R"

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    And you are welcome to try those radios. Just quickly (and carefully without losing packaging so they can be returned for a refund) make sure you can program AND transmit on FRS frequencies. If you cant or the radio just locks when you try, pack them up and return them.

OOB they wont take the programming or will just lock when you TX. So if thats the case perform an unlock* and try. Some of the units have been reported that OOB they are compliant but doing the unlock overwrites the lock that satisfies the FCC for import. As I stated, I had mixed results and returned the ones that wouldnt unlock. (and purchased 5Xs for daily family use)

*there are youtube videos showing how to bypass it by turning it on and holding certain buttons down. youtube search "How To Unlock A New Baofeng UV-5R"
    Thanks for the help

Top Bottom