• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I inherited 150,000 or so baseball cards. Most cards are from 1960's to present day though some are earlier than the 60's. How would I get the cards appraised, then sell them?

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Google search my friend, first off I would look through and pick out the well known money cards, then I would Google search for an appraiser in your area. I however would literally sit there with a current Beckett price guise and search every single one...because I enjoy doing that lol.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Anything from the junk era circa 1987-1992 or so is sadly not worth much. I have been collecting for over 20 years and like The above poster would be happy to take a look at them for you. I mainly deal in the Topps line, but have some knowledge of others. The bulk of the valid will be in pre-1970 cards, though up until the early 1980s there is potential for value, based highly on condition. Your best bet would be to cherry pick the best to sell and either consign to a local dealer or a seasoned ebayer or try to sell them yourself. Though if you are not established that can hurt bidding.

Would be happy to help you sort. Beckett is a starting point, but EBay will give you a better idea of current value. It all depends on what you have!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    You want to inventory what you have.30 years back,my brother was given a very old collection up to the late 60's.It included a '52-311.It will help put his kids thru college.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Is that necessarily true? I'm far from an expert but it seems like prices are fluid based on the market for them and it feels like the market peaked years ago.
    I agree with this. Ask a 13 yr old what baseball card is - blank stares to follow. Once the buyers are gone they will be gone. That market will go nowhere but down in general.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    what do you call this the junk era? just curious

From what I understand, the Junk Era was from about 1986 - 1994. This is when sports cards manufactures realized that were more adults (with $) collecting baseball cards than children. This Card collecting "bubble" has a few factors to it.

1. They printed off substantially more cards then they did in the past flooding the market with cards.

2.They started selling full sets (all the cards for the year) in boxes sets and collectors would buy multiple sets and stash them away.

3. Most of the "great" players from this rookie era (Bonds, Sosa, McGuire, etc.) Have a Performance Enhancement Drug cloud hanging over them. Causing a lack of interest in them in general.

4. The MLB strike of 1994 caused a big dip in MLB interest (MLB cards bekng the mainstay of collectable cards back then) causing many card shops to close and in turn forcing card manufactures to change the way they operated. They began selling jersey cards, autograph cards, and other "rare" cards to peak interest, which worked for some time... This ended the "junk" era

*I am not a card collector at all, just (think I) know about the subject some how. Correct me if I'm worng please..

Last edited:

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Yeah, the junk era is about the time I was collecting unfortunately. I had about 15,000 cards and I think they sold for about $20 at auction. I pulled the Shaq's and the Jeters but dumped the rest. My grandfather used to tell me they were worthless junk, another thing I should have listened to.

I still have about 5000 commons and I think I'm going start stapling them to cardboard for targets.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I sold a few many years ago (from the 70s). What I found is that they are generally rated lower in condition than you probably think they are. I hope yours are in excellent/mint condition because that would be quite a windfall.

Top Bottom