• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Army Awards $50 Million Contract for New Special Operations Sniper Rifle | Military.com

The U.S. Army just awarded a $50 million contract to Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc. to arm snipers with the multi-caliber sniper rifle preferred by special operations forces.

The five-year contract will buy 2,800 MK22 Multi-role Adaptive Design, or MRAD, sniper rifles that can be chambered for .338 Norma Magnum, .300 Norma Magnum and 7.62x51 NATO ammunition, Army officials from Project Manager Soldier Lethality announced today in a news release. The contract was awarded March 30.
    The article says the rifle was picked up by USSOC two years ago, and the Marines also have a contract to buy the rifle.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Reasonable and Gov't Spending? At least this may do us some good.

Better than funding more :bs: like gender studies or housing freaking illegals in hotels
    That is 4 or 5 rifles for the price of 1 illegal and we have something of value when the spending is done.

I would also point out that a HK PSG-1 was over $10K 30+ years ago, for your choice of.308, .308, or .308. Getting that kind of precision out of a semi-auto is notoriously difficult and expensive.

@tetter. I hope this helps.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I have an MRAD in 338 lapua, i can answer some questions

"While you're googling, what's a 338 Norma mag? More like a 338 lapua than a 338 winchester?"
    338 norma similar to 338 lapua

"I think it's shorter to be used in mag fed, but Im not sure."
    In the MRAD, 338lapua is mag feed. It was designed around that caliber.

"50 million / 2800 rifles = $17,800/rifle. Is that reasonable? "
    The purchase is the for the rifle in a "system", some of the items included are 3 barrels that can easily change. Barrel kits are over $1K each. Don't know if scope is included with that price, but i would guess it is.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I just now looked at the ad. A bolt action? I really didn't see that coming.

Another thing to consider, not that I expect any great bargain even then, is that the contract not only provides the rifles and caliber change parts, but most likely includes spares for wear parts, armorers' tools, training for armorers, and perhaps a run of whatever ammunition the rifles especially like.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I have an MRAD in 338 lapua, i can answer some questions

"While you're googling, what's a 338 Norma mag? More like a 338 lapua than a 338 winchester?"
    338 norma similar to 338 lapua

"I think it's shorter to be used in mag fed, but Im not sure."
    In the MRAD, 338lapua is mag feed. It was designed around that caliber.

"50 million / 2800 rifles = $17,800/rifle. Is that reasonable? "
    The purchase is the for the rifle in a "system", some of the items included are 3 barrels that can easily change. Barrel kits are over $1K each. Don't know if scope is included with that price, but i would guess it is.
    Thanks for the info.
    How does it shoot?

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Thanks for the info.
    How does it shoot?
    Shoots very well. Israel, Norway & New Zealand have been using it as their sniper rifle for a few years.

338 expensive to shoot. Slower burning powders for the 338 became rare in the fall of 2019, before the 2020 general shortages happened.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ronnie Barrett, a wedding photographer who dresses like a senior partner at a large Nashville law firm, who actually designs and manufacturers guns for a living, guns used by the U.S. military.

God Bless America!

Attachments

• 1617472874900.png
      1617472874900.png
      5.1 MB · Views: 3
    Top Bottom