• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    So talking with a buddy of mine who has a ar10. He is not happy qith accuracy at all. He has a spare .308 barrel for a savage 10. Hes a very good machinist and was wondering about taking that barrel and fitting it to a ar10 extension and of course turning barrel and drilling for the gas. Has anyone ever done this?

Flytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    NWI
    Without looking it up, I would think you would have to turn down the Savage 10 to fit the gas block - like you said, he should be able to do that. Make sure the barrel ext pin lines up with the gas port.
    I'm wondering what is affecting the accuracy? Might have some movement in the upper/lower fitment - or other things that a new barrel wouldn't fix.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Without looking it up, I would think you would have to turn down the Savage 10 to fit the gas block - like you said, he should be able to do that. Make sure the barrel ext pin lines up with the gas port.
    I'm wondering what is affecting the accuracy? Might have some movement in the upper/lower fitment - or other things that a new barrel wouldn't fix.
    Not sure. Hes pretty good in building and machining so i know hes redone it all several times to try nd fix it. He just happens to have this older savage barrel laying around so think hes gonna try it. That way only thing out of his pocket is for the barrel extension. Itll be interesting to see

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    It seems a new AR barrel will be significantly cheaper than time invested to attempt this project, drill a hole for the gas block, and waste ammo figuring out if it turned out well or not.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom